• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Big New England heat 7/19-21

weathafella

And unfortunately ... all the information that's been presented here, regarding instrumentation  ... is conjectural until proven empirically ... 

Snark and sarcasm...,  those do not satisfy the "empirical" side of any contention or debate. 

There may in fact be a problem with Boston... but in the spirit of conjecture:  the heat over the weekend and the behavior of readings failed to exemplify from what I observed.  That station did not deviate appreciably enough from the KBED - KOWD arc - in fact, it didn't deviate at all.  The overnight low of 83 is perfectly explained given wind trajectory and static synoptic parameters.  

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s less noticeable when it’s well mixed. 

You'd expect just inland and west of them to be a little hotter on that type of setup. So you don't end up noticing the drift as much on that type of synoptic setup. 

Yesterday's high launchpad was neutered by 2 hours of mostly cloudy centered on noon, with a teeny shower mixed in.  Things re-warmed  afterwards but dews were sliding down thru the 60s so the comfort level was improving and temps dropped to upper 50s this morning.  Saturday's 86 was about 3° below what I'd anticipated, much like other Maine sites - saw 92s and 96s where forecasts had been 95s and 99s.  Too much dew?  My garden was sad that all that PWAT left the building with just 0.01" RA.  Hoping tonight's event doesn't slide away south.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

BOS #s were legit.  They matched surrounding ASOS stations.

I don't think they are. A day like yesterday will mask the issue because you're probably maxing out the heat a bit inland (see hot Saturday, etc). Again, we're talking a couple degrees here so it's harder to notice on big downslope day. 

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yesterday's 83° minimum temperature tied the low temperature recorded on August 2, 1975 for Boston's warmest minimum temperature on record. In addition, it was Boston's second consecutive daily minimum temperature of 80° or above for the first time on record. Prior to 2019, no year had more than one such day. Boston's records go back to 1872.