Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

First real summer for our 1 year old St Bernard/ Siberian Husky mix, yea he doesn't like heat at all, holes up inside from 1000 pm to 6 pm, thats when the Sun is in the yard.

I had a St Bernard/Lab mix that loved the cold.  Most of my previous dogs would sit outside in a hole they dug in the shade.  This dog loved to stay inside when the A/C was on during the summer and outside during the winter.  We used to shave the dog in the early summer so she would be cooler and then she'd have her full coat back by fall.  I miss that dog... :cry:

I dunno if that D10 Euro chart from 00z was intended for sarcasm/ribbing or what, but ...the 850 mb chart for that same time has 20 to 21 C air ribbon/plume streaking up over SNE in a narrow warm sector!  

So...yeah, either way.. Torch look... 

Hey Wiz'    ... Saturday is emerging somewhat as a convection contender.  There is strong evidence using the freebie/granular charts alone, for a bit of an EML expulsion to arc up over the ridge ...N of the Lakes at 48 hours, and pluming down over all of New England Friday.  That's a hot day!  ...probably the hottest of this stretch with 18 or 19 C and what gradient there is ...offshore.  But, come Saturday, a coherent dent ripples along through eastern Ontario and it's dragging a decent mid/upper air wind acceleration right into that stagnated elevated mix layer.  Just for these canvased parameters, that looks like a day to watch.   Limitations would be...does that S/W up there trend a little flatter.. if so, there's probably still too much CIN ... part of the idea is that heights along the ridge rim fall just below a threshold ..signaling some tendency for the EML to expose lapse rates to what is probably still very warm/sultry air mass in place...etc..etc..  But if that gets less, than naturally the risk reduces.  Right now ...I'd say NNE is under the gone either way in that over all evolution. 

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea our July call is for +1 to +2 from NE to SW in the region. Going as planned. 

This is just for the general reader:   This is like the new normal ...  "+1"  ...  

Obviously, there's a more exacting decimal value... but, with the background global thing ...every location everywhere runs a flat probability, however large or small, of averaging above normal, for every interval of time being evaluated.  GW inuits that is a positive result.   

That's basically just the math of everywhere being an climate curve with an upward angled slope.  Relative to that slope... a 0.0 month is actually below normal (hmm ...that'll scratch some heads). 

So what I'm getting at as is sort of a philosophy.  It might actually be useful to determine with better sophistication what the slope of the curve's trajectory is based on the last 20 years ...and to the best tech can offer, prognosticated going forward. Then, one can assess two distinct forms of above(below) normal: One that is a comparison between results vs the scalar climate numbers; and one that is relative to that curve. 

That's the more important metric in my mind...  The GW stuff has it's threat ... but in nature, it's always the acceleration that gets you...in every system in reality.. A region may get used to +1 ...then ... gets whacked with a +3 ...may mean something extraordinary and unusually stressing may have taken place.  We live in a world where climate models predict the increased frequency of deadly heat waves ...and well, guess what...we're getting them.  Not in southeast Canada, the U.S. eastern Lakes and New England for whatever reason... but the world is suffering these.  These events exceed the background slope of the curve's upward trajectory and are such acceleration events.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do our steady positive departures now more because of torchy mins via higher dews/GHGs. We’re not popping many 100s...yet.

If we can just keep the dews down this summer it should at least be nice in the rad sites at times. We used to average mid 50s mins up here for July, but that has been steadily climbing toward 60°. I’m sure the new norms in a couple years won’t be any better.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Wouldn’t shock me in August.  Bar is lower for that kind of departure for September.

the hottest I recall in the last 20 years was a day in ... I think it was late July 2010.  It was 99 at 11:50 am driving down Rt 9 at 50 mph for several minutes...indicative of that temp being legit ( as far as modern car dash. readings go...).  By 4:30... driving back down that same road was 105.  Now, at the time, NWS sites were all in the 99 to 102 range ... but, those housing are not situated in the mall -town brick-and-mortar setting of open parking lots and broad black-topped streets like Framingham's rt 9 expanse, either.  

In fact... that may be the hottest day I've ever experience since moving to New England 30+ years ago. 

Anyway, keep in mind... it's hard to get 100 F ?   Beyond the obvious... our sun needs to be fairly unadulterated/unabated to get that, with nearly ideal wind direction.   Those two factors can ruin a bona fide 100 F entry ...and cap it to 96 real real quick around here.  Not sure if it is a latitude issue ... or a geographical one, but I assume we are nearing the insolation angular threshold, such that geographical features does the rest.   sumpin' like that ... Of course, I think Fairbanks, Alaska's all-time reading is 101 ... or maybe that was Ft Yukon... i dunno

The models are battling between a PNA vs an EPO pattern canvas through D15.   

...and they really shouldn't be favoring either .... At least, not so coherently. 

The planetary wave lengths are being modeled longer than the traditional climatology suggest they should be. The result is late mid and extended range layouts with these weird mid winter R-wave constructs ... When PNA, deep JB vortex and exotic gradient with a long-wave trough that engulfs the entire continent.  Mmm...  okay there, GFS.  You go boy -   Then, more of an EPO takes over, and we get heights to tuck into the west like they should... but then the GFS does this thing where it ablates the ridge/heights from rising back east... SO yayyy...GFS gets to be cold no matter what.  

meanwhile it's destined to be 88 to 92 every day thru Saturday.   This week was just like that described above, when it was in the extended range mind you.  

47 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

the hottest I recall in the last 20 years was a day in ... I think it was late July 2010.  It was 99 at 11:50 am driving down Rt 9 at 50 mph for several minutes...indicative of that temp being legit ( as far as modern car dash. readings go...).  By 4:30... driving back down that same road was 105.  Now, at the time, NWS sites were all in the 99 to 102 range ... but, those housing are not situated in the mall -town brick-and-mortar setting of open parking lots and broad black-topped streets like Framingham's rt 9 expanse, either.  

In fact... that may be the hottest day I've ever experience since moving to New England 30+ years ago. 

Anyway, keep in mind... it's hard to get 100 F ?   Beyond the obvious... our sun needs to be fairly unadulterated/unabated to get that, with nearly ideal wind direction.   Those two factors can ruin a bona fide 100 F entry ...and cap it to 96 real real quick around here.  Not sure if it is a latitude issue ... or a geographical one, but I assume we are nearing the insolation angular threshold, such that geographical features does the rest.   sumpin' like that ... Of course, I think Fairbanks, Alaska's all-time reading is 101 ... or maybe that was Ft Yukon... i dunno

John, take a look at the dailies for August 2002.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

2011 was his July heat too.

Yeah it was 2011 ... not 2010... 

Jerry, that 2011 July day beat out Aug 2002 by a couple of ticks.   I was working a gig down on Comm ave. right across the B.U. block ...and recall the day pretty vividly .. the highest I found was 98 - that day I recall even remarking that a cirrus plume perfect timed 10 to 2 pm to steal 3 clicks off "frosting" off the totals - ... definitely a hot one though

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

At this point I would tend to agree with +2 for July but expect +5 for August and September.

I'll take the under for AUG-SEP.  Last year included Boston's warmest August on record, at 77.42.  Their 1981-2010 average is 72.39.  Their warmest September came in 1983 with 70.58, only year above 70 for that month.  1981-2010 is 65.16.  AN seems in the cards, but warmest AUG-SEP (by nearly 1° F) looks to be a stretch.  Not impossible, just unlikely.

• Like 1