Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

Just now, clskinsfan said:

The GFS is weenietastic. And damn close to a major storm.

I agree.  If the transfer occurs earlier and if the storm tracks more ENE, it’s big....again something to track.  Reality is timing is everything.  We can track every index, analog, etc....sometimes you just need a little luck.  Be at the right place, at the right time.

• Like 1

Here's the euro for the same period. Decent but you can see why it cuts on the euro and slids on the gfs. We've had some really good midrange trends this year with the few events that hit us. It's entirely possible that a trend towards a colder solution with strong confluence ends up being how this goes down. I'm certainly not assuming this is an east cut/west track. We've seen confluence trend too strong in Dec and also strenghten when really needed it leading into our Jan storm. 

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_8.png

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Here's the euro for the same period. Decent but you can see why it cuts on the euro and slids on the gfs. We've had some really good midrange trends this year with the few events that hit us. It's entirely possible that a trend towards a colder solution with strong confluence ends up being how this goes down. I'm certainly not assuming this is an east cut/west track. We've seen confluence trend too strong in Dec and also strenghten when really needed it leading into our Jan storm. 

I was just thinking how nice it is not to see a brick wall over PA. Obviously it is long a ways out there. But the models locked on to the December disaster pretty early. And never really wavered with where the strongest confluence would set up. 

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_8.png&key=0a2e88ec7c02b7ca0d911564e22d8fe17d74913bb4339cbff4381bcfc1215905

This is eerily similar to the early January trash period...then cold came quickly and we got a mecs without much warning during same time range as proposed storm lol.welcome back

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:

This is eerily similar to the early January trash period...then cold came quickly and we got a mecs without much warning during same time range as proposed storm lol.welcome back

So you're canceling the first week of march?

1 minute ago, Ji said:
4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
ecmwf_z500a_nhem_8.png&key=0a2e88ec7c02b7ca0d911564e22d8fe17d74913bb4339cbff4381bcfc1215905

This is eerily similar to the early January trash period...then cold came quickly and we got a mecs without much warning

we've been watching this period for winter weather for like a week already....

1 minute ago, Ji said:
5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This is eerily similar to the early January trash period...then cold came quickly and we got a mecs without much warning

That oddball W-E oriented ridge poking in off the pac is creating the confluence stacked up in eastern canada. Technically it's a block but wtf do you call it? I can't recall seeing such a jacked up set of features creating compressed flow. At least we do "weird and jacked up" pretty well around here. Lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Ji said:
2 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Just work with me here:)

It's actually interesting if you toggle back to some of the runs from Friday/Saturday. There's some similarities to what the 18z just spit out. HP's to the north give opportunity for long range tracking of threats. Some of our big storms were from a long way out...I could continue...:weenie::weenie:

One thing that interests me is the models have picked up on CAD really early with this. They usually trend colder as we approach these type of setups. But the cold being modeled already is legit. Would be so nice to actually have a decent HP in good position for once. It is really pumping in the cold air aloft before we get hit. 

• Like 1

That oddball W-E oriented ridge poking in off the pac is creating the confluence stacked up in eastern canada. Technically it's a block but wtf do you call it? I can't recall seeing such a jacked up set of features creating compressed flow. At least we do "weird and jacked up" pretty well around here. Lol
We dont so complex well but we do convoluted well. This one has simple options lol...I think

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I thought that too. Very unusual look. I wont question it though because it giveth us a 1042 mb HP, lol.

11 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

True but it's morphing into something that didn't have much warning or ens support. I agree with Ji. If we luck our way into a big event the ensembles will once again have been useless similar to the big Jan storm. Ops are leading the way right now. Eps and gefs have been showing limited potential since this window has popped up.

In the 13 years I've been regularly playing this game I've never seen global ensembles and long range forecasters look this terrible. So bad that we'd have been far better off not having access to either. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

True but it's morphing into something that didn't have much warning or ens support. I agree with Ji. If we luck our way into a big event the ensembles will once again have been useless similar to the big Jan storm. Ops are leading the way right now. Eps and gefs have been showing limited potential since this window has popped up.

In the 13 years I've been regularly playing this game I've never seen global ensembles and long range forecasters look terrible. So bad that we'd have been far better off not having access to either. 

I guess sometimes the higher res ops beat multiple low res ens members smoothed into a mean, even in the longer range. Its been a weird winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ji said:

no matter what the pattern...the EPS gives us 3-4 inches through 360 in snowfall mean every run

That’s not true. 1-2” is the background bogus fake mean in a shutout pattern that happens from the 10% outliers. 3-4” is average in a typical “it might snow but probably not” and when it’s 5-6” it’s usually a good pattern and we have better than climo odds. Keep in mind that still might only be 40-50% so often it fails even then. 

Snow means are bad ways to judge ensembles. And that’s just a typical quick rule. And obviously since guidance has sucked at range this year and typically by having a good pattern that wasn’t real the fail rate this year is much worse than average but since some people here don’t know when your kidding let’s not pretend the eps always has 3-4”. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@clskinsfan 

Man, midlevel flow is perfect on those panels. Euro had a great surface CAD setup but the mids were pumping southerly due to less confluence and primary punching north. 18z gfs is an unconventional big storm setup. 

Yep. It would be the perfect progression of the HP. Which is why it is probably wrong :). That 162 panel really shows the upper level cold getting shoved up against the mountains and locked in. Lets hope the GFS is right for once.