Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

12 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

models underestimate dense low level cold so the ice threat is significant imo

Even the front end snow dump would end up more than the 18Z GFS shows verbatim if you got that exact track.  We see this with any system where we go snow to rain that it’s not usually til 84-96 that we start seeing the magnitude of the snow portion.  The November storm was the same thing 

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Even the front end snow dump would end up more than the 18Z GFS shows verbatim if you got that exact track.  We see this with any system where we go snow to rain that it’s not usually til 84-96 that we start seeing the magnitude of the snow portion.  The November storm was the same thing 

Exactly, an eternity still to go. 

Lets see if this winters south trend is a factor in this one as well.

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

1/21/94 and several others that Jan/Feb had this anomalous cold-if this cold is real as modeled, one of those could be an analog....

My hunch is it’ll end up more wintry here than 1/18/94 because the high is in a much better position.  That time the high was south of us sliding offshore with south winds 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

My hunch is it’ll end up more wintry here than 1/18/94 because the high is in a much better position.  That time the high was south of sliding offshore with south winds 

makes sense-we briefly spiked to 50 here during that event before temps crashed...streams of water running down the edges of the road literally flash froze--you could make out the ripples in the water literally frozen on the spot-never seen it before and haven't see it since....

23 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I agree the surface reflection of the GFS and its cousin Para doesn't look right. It should show more front end snow with that low track. My guess is both models are struggling with the thermals.

I would toss the GFS thermal profiles. The Euro being that warm holds more water, but honestly the NAM seems to do best with low level cold air.
Nam has always been good with this. Stands to reason being a regional model. But the cold air is underdone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

makes sense-we briefly spiked to 50 here during that event before temps crashed...streams of water running down the edges of the road literally flash froze--you could make out the ripples in the water literally frozen on the spot-never seen it before and haven't see it since....

We had a flash freeze storm here in '03 (?) that was terrifying to drive home after. My regular 24 mile ride was 46 due to blocked roads and hills too steep to get up (or down) in my 4Runner.

26 minutes ago, North and West said:

I’ve always wanted to see the 1888 storm, and this one may get cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In March 1888 the average temperature in NYC was 29.9 degrees.

For the year it was 49.4. I'd like to see a stretch of sustained cold like that once in my lifetime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

I would toss the GFS thermal profiles. The Euro being that warm holds more water, but honestly the NAM seems to do best with low level cold air.

Wasnt the Euro much colder than the GFS at the surface? Truthfully I find all the models usually overestimate surface warmth in these setups especially away from maybe the immediate coast

I'll weenie for a second.

If i had to make a forecast for NYC right now and wasn't allowed to change it, I'd go with them starting as a period of snow with a quick change to rain for a few hours then a change to freezing rain for several more hours then to sleet briefly before turning to snow. 1-3".    

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I'll weenie for a second.

If i had to make a forecast for NYC right now and wasn't allowed to change it, I'd go with them starting as a period of snow with a quick change to rain for a few hours then a change to freezing rain for several more hours then to sleet briefly before turning to snow. 1-3".    

I wouldn't even venture a guess right now. But not bad... reasonable.

• Like 1

@Brasiluvsnow

With soundings you can see it even better but let's start with this.  From the 18z gfs.

(Using NYC as a reference point).

The first temp map shows a cold surface.  The second one shows a warm layer in the mid levels.  Sleet or freezing rain with fall depending on how "thick" the layer of cold air is below the warm layer.

gfs_t2m_b_nyc_26.png

gfs_t850_nyc_26.png

gfs_pr6_slp_t850_nyc_26.png

• Thanks 1