Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

29 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

I'd start worrying if I was in Montreal. UK was the best run on any guidance in over a day and then the Euro is a 60° disaster. 6z GFS and ICON are also NW. The writing is just about on the wall IMO.

Writing on the wall on Tuesday and still the energy won’t be properly sampled until Thursday! Seems a little premature to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Writing on the wall on Tuesday and still the energy won’t be properly sampled until Thursday! Seems a little premature to me.

It is, of course. But the recurrent theme of warm temps probably can't be dismissed out of hand. It happens; warm rain, then cold. At least that's what I read here. 

41 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

Why are people bitching about the Euro?  It looks great for lots of anafrontal precip.  Me likey.

not in NYC and along the coast-it's mainly rain with nothing on the back end....6Z GFS is mostly rain as well and then the cold comes in after the precip is gone....UKMET is the only model that shows decent snows for the coast and city.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

not in NYC and along the coast-it's mainly rain with nothing on the back end....6Z GFS is mostly rain as well and then the cold comes in after the precip is gone....UKMET is the only model that shows decent snows for the coast and city.

If you use verbatim surface temp from a global, sure.  But only people who have never learned to read a model will do that.

This continues to have a strong ice signal.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Ukie has been doing well

Just now, allgame830 said:

Me personally living 30 due north of NYC I feel I stand a good chance for a nasty ice potential... I was 18 degrees this morning. 

Anybody agree?

if the storm cuts well west of NYC like the Euro shows, you could be zero and it would be all rain-that would be a huge push of Southerly winds which would bring 55 degree warmth to us.   all depends on the ultimate track of the low and how it interacts with the cold.   Big ice is rare-usually the storm cuts and we rain and then the cold comes or it taps the cold and we are snow or perhaps snow to rain...

• Thanks 1

In many ways, this is just a repeat of the pattern we've seen repeatedly since Fall. A beefy Atlantic ridge with greatest + height anomalies over Newfoundland and - anomalies over the OH/TN Valleys and Appalachians. This helps promote deep southerly flow that has produced so many heavy precip events.  

eps_500anom.thumb.png.bbefde388b15386b99be7205064927b8.png

While the end result this weekend does come down to how energy phases into the developing trough, I think assuming the surface low passes within 50 miles of NYC is a good bet at this point. No model in this pattern was able to capture the small-scale nuances of the low level wind field, with colder air generally holding in place longer than modeled region-wide. Now we're just adding climatology, cold water and the development of widespread frigid air into the mix. The ECMWF had a warm/NW bias with many of these coastal lows, while the GFS and its family were often too cold/SE. Whatever warm sector makes it in will likely be brief and after the heaviest precip has passed through, so this is still a wintry, albeit less snowy setup.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

In many ways, this is just a repeat of the pattern we've seen repeatedly since Fall. A beefy Atlantic ridge with greatest + height anomalies over Newfoundland and - anomalies over the OH/TN Valleys and Appalachians. This helps promote deep southerly flow that has produced so many heavy precip events.  

eps_500anom.thumb.png.bbefde388b15386b99be7205064927b8.png

While the end result this weekend does come down to how energy phases into the developing trough, I think assuming the surface low passes within 50 miles of NYC is a good bet at this point. No model in this pattern was able to capture the small-scale nuances of the low level wind field, with colder air generally holding in place longer than modeled region-wide. Now we're just adding climatology, cold water and the development of widespread frigid air into the mix. The ECMWF had a warm/NW bias with many of these coastal lows, while the GFS and its family were often too cold/SE. Whatever warm sector makes it in will likely be brief and after the heaviest precip has passed through, so this is still a wintry, albeit less snowy setup.

So are you basically saying the models are just too warm and will likely trend colder once they realize how cold the air mass really is. 

• Like 1

Just now, allgame830 said:

So are you basically saying the models are just too warm and will likely trend colder once they realize how cold the air mass really is. 

any one of them with a surface low track near the area is likely too warm w/ 2m temps, yes. the synoptic evolution could change all of this, but it is a pattern we've repeated many times this cold season.

• Like 1

Has anyone discussed the potential for a combined flash freeze (not sure of definition but I'd say ~20F in 2 hours from above to below freezing) combined with ongoing precip, and couple of hours of n-nw wind gusts of ~45 MPH Sunday in our area.  Seems like a possibility from all model guidance? If you wish, let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Walt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wdrag said:

Has anyone discussed the potential for a combined flash freeze (not sure of definition but I'd say ~20F in 2 hours from above to below freezing) combined with ongoing precip, and couple of hours of n-nw wind gusts of ~45 MPH Sunday in our area.  Seems like a possibility from all model guidance? If you wish, let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Walt

Yeah, seems like regardless of the model this has legit flash freeze potential written all over it.

Just now, wdrag said:

Some here have and with ongoing precip that can create a lot of problems especially if it happens on a weekday at the wrong hours....