Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

5 hours ago, wdrag said:

So for the still working mets on this board... there continues to be need for improved modeling of boundary layers (BL) temps, especially the lowest portion of the BL... ALL model failure on this CAD drainage that is a constant, when, a reservoir of colder air exists near I90 (MA-NYS), available for reinforcement. We're lucky here in northern Sussex County that we had mostly sleet (11P-430A).  We'll know more at sunrise, and then if it doesn't warm above 32, a second chance for power outages with 35-45 Mph gusts knocking down ice covered branches tonight.  Unknowns to prepare for.  One known I think is the risk not only elevated risk for heart attacks removing our solid 4.5" of snow sleet (it was broomable last evening prior to sleet (24f at that time). but also shoulder injuries since the weight of snow -sleet-freezing rain can take a toll.  

Just reading the discussion out of the NWS in Maine and they would agree. No models really reliable.

Update...For starters the only model performing even close to
observed 2 m temps is the HRRR...so any adjustments were just
about solely HRRR based. Largest pressure falls are occurring
over the elbow of the Cape. With low pressure trying to squeeze
in that direction now...cold temps will lock in place. I do not
expect anyone to rise above freezing today...which at least
eliminates one ptype.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Correct   2mi from the Appalachians Trail.  Beautiful here... but when power goes out, and trees need to be cleared.... its a problem. Last March it didn't get below 31F in those multi day outages, so homes could maintain enough heat to prevent pipes bursting.  Tonight, if power is out and there is no safe heating of the home, especially windward walls...there will be major consequences.  I'm pretty sure it will get down to -1F at our home in Wantage at sunrise Monday, with wind chill 20-30below.  NYC in a way lucky no snow cover.  btw, I think 1/21 will be coldest mean temperature here in nw Nj and ne PA since Feb 13, 2016 Later, Walt

All that. And the marauding deer, plus the bears. My son tells me rutgers is studying bobcats up there. Had no idea we had bobcats in NJ.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Just reading the discussion out of the NWS in Maine and they would agree. No models really reliable.

Update...For starters the only model performing even close to
observed 2 m temps is the HRRR...so any adjustments were just
about solely HRRR based. Largest pressure falls are occurring
over the elbow of the Cape. With low pressure trying to squeeze
in that direction now...cold temps will lock in place. I do not
expect anyone to rise above freezing today...which at least
eliminates one ptype.

Won't need to worry about hear attacks or shoulder issues down here. I'd worry more about driving into standing water...

• Like 1

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

4.5 inches of iceberg here.

28.9  with precip just ended. Trees ice covered, snowblower broke and I'm not shoveling this. Anyone know any plow guys in Highland Mills/Central Valley area?

You should post in the canadian forum. Thats where those temps were found, you must be lying. 

• Haha 1