• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

What continues to amaze (frustrate) me about our region is how even the things we need (like high pressure) can't be too much or too little. Not enough for the elements to just be there...they gotta be just right! Here we have this monster high in an ideal spot...but now it might shred off some of the potential (perhaps I'm not understanding that properly). Wow

you need to look at the 500 panels.  For this storm the flow is flat, and you've been hearing some of us talk about "better ridging/bending/buckling" That is higher heights out in front of MSLP that can help to let the storm gain latitude.  In this setup, we need that. 

In the right pattern, we'd take a 1036hp most of the time and that would be great, but when the flow is flat, the HP acts as a barrier to the north, and also helps to "tear" the storm apart.  If you had better ridging out west and a deeper trough in the east, the buckling of the flow would force them into each other and the HP acts as an aid in supplying cold air, and less of a shield.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Icon is back to the idea of holding energy back and developing a second wave but no way in this flow that has a shot. We need one consolidated ejection of energy to overcome the flow. 

The NS isn't neatly as suppressive this time as December but in December the system came out really amplified and held together to the coast. It got forced due east but it was well organized. This time it's ejecting in pieces and is a weak strung out mess.  (If the icon and nam are right)  That won't cut it. 

Lets see what the big boys have to say before getting worried. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Icon is back to the idea of holding energy back and developing a second wave but no way in this flow that has a shot. We need one consolidated ejection of energy to overcome the flow. 

The NS isn't neatly as suppressive this time as December but in December the system came out really amplified and held together to the coast. It got forced due east but it was well organized. This time it's ejecting in pieces and is a weak strung out mess.  (If the icon and nam are right)  That won't cut it. 

Lets see what the big boys have to say before getting worried. 

Staying strong!

Hmm I might have to take back my "not as suppressive" comment. On the icon and nam another lobe of the 50/50 rotates down into New England exactly as the storm is reaching out longitude making it impossible for it to amplify and gain latitude. Same as December. Could be bad luck. Or maybe the 50/50s are prone to set up too far south this year. Hopefully it's wrong. If not hopefully it's just bad luck twice in a row. 

• Like 1

Just now, pasnownut said:

GFS out to 36 is north.......

:lol:

Doesn't really matter. Early on everything looks good. The problems start around hour 60 as the flow starts to get compressed as the western trough presses east with the PAC jet crashing in bit the North Atlantic vortex has the flow blocked up so the trough starts to get squeezed and stretched out which causes it to de amplify. From then on it goes wrong (on the guidance that it shearing it apart). Yea north and amped is good early but might not matter if it goes the same way down the line. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Doesn't really matter. Early on everything looks good. The problems start around hour 60 as the flow starts to get compressed as the western trough presses east with the PAC jet crashing in bit the North Atlantic vortex has the flow blocked up so the trough starts to get squeezed and stretched out which causes it to de amplify. From then on it goes wrong (on the guidance that it shearing it apart). Yea north and amped is good early but might not matter if it goes the same way down the line. 

see smiley face.....

it was a joke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Hmm I might have to take back my "not as suppressive" comment. On the icon and nam another lobe of the 50/50 rotates down into New England exactly as the storm is reaching out longitude making it impossible for it to amplify and gain latitude. Same as December. Could be bad luck. Or maybe the 50/50s are prone to set up too far south this year. Hopefully it's wrong. If not hopefully it's just bad luck twice in a row. 

Thats what I saw, and Ji too I think. That lobe was behind the southern wave on previous runs, and now it comes down right on top. The hammer.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Actually at 54 the trough is significantly more amplified in the plains.  But again the real issue will be how badly it gets compressed as it approaches the east coast 

I was looking further east at what i didnt like, but agree w/ your plains assessment.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Thats what I saw, and Ji too I think. That lobe was behind the southern wave on previous runs, and now it comes down right on top. The hammer.

Yep. If the other guidance moves to that solution tonight we might be in trouble again. When it was diving that energy in behind in previous runs I was hopeful that given the typical trend towards a more amplified system in the end game we would be ok. But if that's coming down in front like last time then we have the same exact problem as December only with an even weaker system this time. That wouldn't work. That would leave us with only the weak NS wave that runs out ahead. Hopefully the jv models injected some bad mojo. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic