Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2019

George BM

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

That car on the left looks like my parents old AMC Pacer from the 80s . (Aka..the bubble car lol).We had to carry a whole case of Windex in the trunk because it was nothin but glass and in the summer time my brother and I would sweat balls in the back seat lol. So is Mattie the lady or dude that's always complaining about school delays. 

Ahhh....  AMC.  Renown for building some of the fuggliest cars in history.  Remember the Pacer well and boy did it have a lot of glass.  One of the biggest windshields and rear glass of any car even close to that size you'd ever see.  Don't recall any other car that had a passenger's door that was 4" longer than the driver's door.  I had some friends in HS who had to drive one.  The social embarrassment probably left deep scars for years to come.  It was right up there with the AMC Matador and Gremlin...  

I had the "luxury" of driving a 76 Chevy Chevette my parents bought new in Nov 75 during the aftermath of the Arab Oil Embargo.  The Chevette had an Iron Duke 4 with 2 sp Powerglide tranny.  Even with a 4.11 rear end it was quick to...  nowhere.  Maxed out at 76mph and at that speed it felt like it was going to come apart.  Didn't even have AC other than the two windows and still only got mid 20's mpg while my brothers Datsun was getting 45mpg.  For several years I had to drive around with a baseball bat behind the front seat.  Not for protection but to bang on the starter to bump it off a dead spot so it would start.  None the less, it was my ride until I rolled it.  That was one of those things that happens to you during adolescence that wakes you up.

After rolling the Chevette my dad got me a 71 Chevy Caprice 2dr hardtop with a 350 and Turbo400 tranny for $150.  Ran like a scalded cat, but couldn't put anything in the trunk because the rusted rear quarter panels had holes so big nothing would have stayed IN the trunk.  Burned so much oil it was nearly a 2-cycle, but got me through my last year of college.  With a bench seat it was great car for the drive-in.  hehe.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

That car on the left looks like my parents old AMC Pacer from the 80s . (Aka..the bubble car lol).We had to carry a whole case of Windex in the trunk because it was nothin but glass and in the summer time my brother and I would sweat balls in the back seat lol. So is Mattie the lady or dude that's always complaining about school delays. 

Dude.

And I complain more about closures than delays, thankyouverymuch.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

@RDM

Interesting story lol. Yea...there were lots of chevettes,  Taurus's, pintos, cavalier station wagons , even a couple Yugos lol in my high school. ( I remember the old saying ' I got a vette'...........a Che------vette:lol:

The Yugo would sound like it was blowing up at 50 mph lol:lmao:

Yep, "I have a 'Vette'" was the line lol. I drove a '76 Subaru wagon (DL, with the even smaller engine) for first 4 months after getting my license if I wanted to drive, that was what was 'offered'. After working 4 months I bought a '76 Monte Carlo junior year in HS. Tank of a car, gf wouldn't drive it 'cuz she couldn't see over the hood lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

@RDM

Interesting story lol. Yea...there were lots of chevettes,  Taurus's, pintos, cavalier station wagons , even a couple Yugos lol in my high school. ( I remember the old saying ' I got a vette'...........a Che------vette:lol:

The Yugo would sound like it was blowing up at 50 mph lol:lmao:

Haha - the Yugo, right up there with the Skoda, Volga and last but not least, the Trabant, which epitomized the former reign of E. Germany.  Was in Frankfurt my first overseas assignment when the wall came down.  Was an amazing time to be there...  Will never forget seeing a "Trabie" (nickname for the Trabant) packed with folks seemingly on their first shopping spree to the west.  Was cold outside and the windows were all steamed over from the non-existent defroster as the car meandered along the street on the south side of the Main river by Eisner Steg in Sachsenhausen...  There on the rear bumper of the Trabie was a bumper sticker.  It said, in English, "My Other Car is a Trabant Also".  I about died laughing and still chuckle when remembering the image forever burned into memory.  The fact the bumper sticker was in English was all the more ironic.  Here was the symbol of a former Communist mainstay on display in the west with such stark humor, in English.  Wish I'd had a camera then - would have been a shot worthy of National Geographic for sure.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RDM said:

Ahhh....  AMC.  Renown for building some of the fuggliest cars in history.  Remember the Pacer well and boy did it have a lot of glass.  One of the biggest windshields and rear glass of any car even close to that size you'd ever see.  Don't recall any other car that had a passenger's door that was 4" longer than the driver's door.  I had some friends in HS who had to drive one.  The social embarrassment probably left deep scars for years to come.  It was right up there with the AMC Matador and Gremlin...  

Haha!  I actually remember someone in high school (early-mid '80s) who had a purple Gremlin.  Yes...purple.  He got a lot of flak for that car, but he made fun of it himself, too ("you must be from the west side of Cleveland to have a car like that", etc.!)!  My sister-in-law had an old Chevy Cavalier years ago that ran, shall we say, inconsistently at times.  She used to call it the Cadavalier!

Wow what a disaster a lot of these threads are becoming.  Crazy considering a good percentage of the forum experienced an 8-12 inch powder dump already.  I guess people were really believing a KU pattern was coming.  I've found its best to NEVER believe what the weeklies or the end of the GEFS/EPS runs are showing.  That stuff changes on a dime.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Haha!  I actually remember someone in high school (early-mid '80s) who had a purple Gremlin.  Yes...purple.  He got a lot of flak for that car, but he made fun of it himself, too ("you must be from the west side of Cleveland to have a car like that", etc.!)!  My sister-in-law had an old Chevy Cavalier years ago that ran, shall we say, inconsistently at times.  She used to call it the Cadavalier!

Our next door neighbor had a purple Germlin too!  The color was "Wild Plum" Purple.  Most of them were inline 6's, but there were a few with the hot rod 5 Liter 304cid   Ahh, the 70's.  Those were the days - wish I could forget them.  One of the worse decades for US automotive manufacturers, if not THE worse.  Pinto, Chevette, Pacer, Matador, Mustang 2+2, ouch...  the visions hurt.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Wow what a disaster a lot of these threads are becoming.  Crazy considering a good percentage of the forum experienced an 8-12 inch powder dump already.  I guess people were really believing a KU pattern was coming.  I've found its best to NEVER believe what the weeklies or the end of the GEFS/EPS runs are showing.  That stuff changes on a dime.   

you are a smart man for this statement alone.  Yeah its a little rough sledding right now...no doubt.  Plenty of time.

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

I will speak for myself. I get emotionally attached to winter because I HATE warm weather seasons. I hate sweating, bugs(spiders, mosquitos, bees, flies), humidity, sunburns, pollen. Swimming is okay but it's only a temporary escape from the misery. The ONLY things weather related I like about summer is tracking severe weather/hurricanes. I could live without it though. 

Now unfortunately around here, warm weather takes up about 7-9 months of the year. We only get 3-4 POTENTIAL months to provide true WINTER WEATHER. So to see this already small window get wasted seriously bums me out because everyday without serious cold/snow is another day closer to the inevitable warmth and everything that comes with it. 

I'm very aware that if I hate summer so much that I could move somewhere with a more favorable climate for me. Trust me, once I get my life totally together, I'm going. I just wish I could find a place with great winters and warm seasons that top out between 55-65 degrees. That would be fantastic! In my research I've yet to find a place like that. 

belongs in banter. 

Do you ever get the feeling that some are trying too hard to predict what is going to happen? I certainly understand the pleasure of being able to read the models and teleconnections etc. but dang...a little bit of overload if you ax me.

I hope it snows again in my lifetime

• Like 1

Notice how the "influencers" are changing the mood of the board? Now we not only have the debs but some of the positive posters are starting to get negative. I know things don't look great right now but if all you do is :deadhorse: then don't be surprised or complain when the model threads get choked with whiney deb posts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Notice how the "influencers" are changing the mood of the board? Now we not only have the debs but some of the positive posters are starting to get negative. I know things don't look great right now but if all you do is :deadhorse: then don't be surprised or complain when the model threads get choked with whiney deb posts.

bob chill has left the board and Don sutherland gave up...so yea...winter is over

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic