joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

4 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Any snow at all in NC on this run?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Verbatim with Kuchera ratio still 12"+ in the mountains, 20"+ near Roanoke VA, only 6-8" in the foothills, 2-6" Piedmont, 0-1" for Raleigh.

EDIT: an additional 1-3" on the back side for the Piedmont, gets Raleigh to 2-5"

Verbatim with Kuchera ratio still 12"+ in the mountains, 20"+ near Roanoke VA, only 6-8" in the foothills, 2-6" Piedmont, 0-1" for Raleigh. EDIT: an additional 1-3" on the back side for the Piedmont, gets Raleigh to 2-5"   

Wow! Maybe it’s wrong scooting that high out so quick. Seems like it doesn’t do good with CAD events? IIs that right or am I’m just hoping?  Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Ha! Still shows 6-7” from Clemson to Gaffney. With all the hemming and hawing, I would’ve thought opposite.

Yea I didnt think it was that bad at all just a little slower..but its picking up on the lower dew points now which compensates I believe. Still a thumping for the north of 85 crew!

Thanks buddy

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Ha! Still shows 6-7” from Clemson to Gaffney. With all the hemming and hawing, I would’ve thought opposite.

I just thought overall it was a little more amped and warmer than we'd like to see. It definitely doesn't slide west to east, noticeable north jump this go round. Onto the ensembles...

2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Euro phased in the polar jet wave on the backside. This is actually prob better for those in eastern nc, as it results in back end deformation banding. Overall still a great thumping. The slp is more aligned with what youd expect from this 

Let's hope the NAM is handling the CAD correctly. 1036mb down into NC, great dewpoints!

namconus_Td2m_seus_53.png

GSP AFD

Emphasis on 40knot  SE Winds at 850mb providing moisture transport and warm nose.

LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/     AS OF 350 AM WEDNESDAY: ABOVE NORMAL CONFIDENCE EXISTS FOR A   SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM ACROSS AT LEAST PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST   AREA THIS WEEKEND AND POSSIBLY LINGERING INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. THIS   IS DUE TO UNUSUALLY GOOD CONSISTENCY BETWEEN MODELS AND FROM RUN TO   RUN REALLY FOR SEVERAL DAYS NOW DESPITE THE STORM SYSTEM NOW PUSHING   INTO THE SOUTHWEST U.S. THIS HAS OCCURRED IN THE PAST, ESPECIALLY   FOR UNUSUALLY SIGNIFICANT STORMS. THIS STORM MAY FALL IN THE UNUSUAL   SIGNIFICANT CATEGORY, ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS   AS IT SEEMS TO HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY INGREDIENTS FOR A HIGH IMPACT   WINTER STORM. THIS BEING SAID, BELOW AVERAGE CONFIDENCE CONTINUES IN   THE EXACT FORECAST DETAILS AND RELATED POTENTIAL IMPACTS AS   RELATIVELY MINOR SHIFTS TO THE STORM TRACK OR STRENGTH CAN LEAD TO   SIGNIFICANT CHANGES WHERE AND HOW LONG WINTRY PRECIP SETS UP.     HIGH PRESSURE WILL CONTINUE TO NOSE INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES   FRIDAY NIGHT BEHIND THE COLD FRONT BEFORE WEDGING DOWN EAST OF THE   MOUNTAINS DURING THE DAY SATURDAY, SUPPORTING COLDER AND DRIER LOW   LEVELS, AHEAD OF THIS WEEKENDS STORM SYSTEM. THE STORM IS EXPECTED   TO SLIDE ALONG THE GULF OF MEXICO COASTLINE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY   BEFORE TURNING THE CORNER NEAR THE SOUTHEAST U.S. COASTLINE BY LATE   IN THE DAY SUNDAY. INCREASING MID TO HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS LATE FRIDAY   NIGHT INTO SATURDAY WILL LIKELY ASSIST THE CAD IN LOCKING IN COLD   TEMPERATURES WITH HIGHS ONLY IN THE 30S TO AROUND 40 OR 15-20   DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. INCREASING MOIST SOUTHERLY FLOW ENHANCED BY   ISENTROPIC LIFT UP AND OVER THE ESTABLISHED COLD DOME AT THE SURFACE   WILL SUPPORT INCREASING PRECIP CHANGES FROM THE SOUTHWEST THROUGH   THE DAY. SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MAY BE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT   PRECIPITATION OF THE STORM AS STRONG SOUTHEASTERLY 30 TO 40 KT 850   MB WINDS ORIGINATING FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO ENHANCE MOISTURE   TRANSPORT. THIS FLOW IS ALSO PERPENDICULAR TO THE COLD DOME CONTINUE   TO BE SUPPORTED BY A 1030+ MB HIGH TO THE NORTH AS WELL AS THE   PERPENDICULAR TO THE MOUNTAINS WHICH WILL ENHANCE LIFT AND THEREFORE   PRECIPITATION INTENSITY AND TOTALS ACROSS THE REGION. PRECIPITATION   TYPES ACROSS THE REGION IS THE MOST CHALLENGING ASPECT OF THIS STORM   AS IT APPEARS AREAS ALONG AND NORTHWEST OF I-85 WILL LIKELY SEE AT   LEAST SOME WINTRY PRECIP TO THE MOUNTAINS WHICH MAY EXPERIENCE   MOSTLY SNOW AND ICE. WARMER AIR ALOFT (WARM NOSE) MAY TRY TO WORK   INTO THE REGION WITH THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY   EVENING LEADING TO GREATER ICE/RAIN POTENTIAL AT LEAST BRIEFLY   ACROSS THE REGION. THE DURATION OF PRECIPITATION TYPES WILL BE   CRITICAL AS CURRENT LIQUID PRECIPITATION CONTINUES TO FALL IN THE 1-   2 INCH RANGE WITH UPLOPE AREAS POSSIBLY SEEING UP TO 3 INCHES. THE   TAKE HOME MESSAGE IS THAT WERE ARE POTENTIALLY DEALING WITH A   DANGEROUS STORM WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION NOW   LIKELY ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS AND POSSIBLE ANYWHERE   ALONG AND NORTHWEST OF I-85. EARLY ESTIMATES PLACE A POTENTIAL FOR   SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF 6 INCHES ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND NC   FOOTHILLS WITH ICE ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLY IN EXCESS OF 1/2 OF AN   INCH ACROSS NC FOOTHILLS/PIEDMONT, ESPECIALLY NORTH OF I-40. NOW IS   THE TIME TO PUT YOUR WINTER WEATHER PLAN TOGETHER AND PREPARE FOR   THIS POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT UPCOMING WINTER STORM.     THE LOW IS EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY FAIRLY RAPIDLY OFF AND SLOW DOWN OR   STALL OFF THE NC/VA COAST MONDAY GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO SHOW A   REINFORCING SHORT WAVE DIVING INTO THE TROUGH. THIS MAY SUPPORT   ENHANCEMENT OF PRECIPITATION ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE STORM EARLY NEXT   WEEK, LEADING TO POTENTIALLY ADDITIONAL WINTRY PRECIP ACROSS THE   REGION.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

More realistic.  Cut those Kutcher’s totals about in half and you will be close to what the NWS eventual accumulation forecasts will be

probably the most logical snow map.  i'd prob subtract 2 inches from those totals but it's more or less what i'm expecting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PackGrad05 said:

I read these posts about Wake Co getting 10+ inches and central NC looking good this run...  THEN the map is posted.
Do y'all know where Wake is?  That EPS Clown map shows most of Wake in the 1-2" category.

End of the 6z nam.  Fingers crossed its correct. 

f84.gif

• Like 1