Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Event totals: 15.2” Snow/1.52” L.E.

The sky is starting to clear out, so the above values should represent the final totals for Winter Storm Harper here at our location.  With the addition of today’s snowfall, winter 2018-2019 now takes over top spot for season snowfall to this date in my data set.  I thought it was 2007-2008 that held the record to this date being the bigger overall snowfall season, but it was actually 2008-2009 that was highest on snowfall at this point in the season.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 3.0 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 31.0 inches

On 1/19/2019 at 3:27 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

Absurd downslope in DDH.....might be overdone, shows like .4-.5" total precip. Actually just north of DDH. 3k nam  hates DDH, HIE, and other shadowed spots always.image.png.62856ceba2b812a8e41e62ddd8778fb7.png.6745eb13d653ccd3b597e7057793e333.png

DDH came in with .43" precip during the event.  I came in at 1.43"LE melted. -pretty big discrepancy for 2 western slope locations   Pretty much exactly what this 3K nam run showed from a few days ago though.  I feel like they had more than that though just driving through there and because of the wind factor.  I dont know how those ASOS stations work in windy conditions, must have missed some of the precip, Maybe @dendrite would know about how they perform in the wind.

The snowpack up this way is about as good as it gets for January.

The Mansfield Stake is at near record levels.  And I just did the biweekly snow survey for the NWS at 1,500ft at the base of Stowe.

This is my highest reading for January at this site in 10 years.  Jan 2011 got pretty high but it was fluffy and maxed around 36".

Today I was getting consistent depths of 40-45" at 1,500ft and it was dense wind-slab from multiple days of hammering winds.

Snow water equivalents were 9-10" on average.  Up 3 inches of water in the past two weeks, which makes sense given the events we've seen.

For an exact reading I went 42" depth and 9.5" water.

5n0BSrr.jpg

D2umAxz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The snowpack up this way is about as good as it gets for January.

The Mansfield Stake is at near record levels.  And I just did the biweekly snow survey for the NWS at 1,500ft at the base of Stowe.

This is my highest reading for January at this site in 10 years.  Jan 2011 got pretty high but it was fluffy and maxed around 36".

Today I was getting consistent depths of 40-45" at 1,500ft and it was dense wind-slab from multiple days of hammering winds.

Snow water equivalents were 9-10" on average.  Up 3 inches of water in the past two weeks, which makes sense given the events we've seen.

For an exact reading I went 42" depth and 9.5" water

you think pack will be lost in the north country during this mid week disaster? 

23 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

you think pack will be lost in the north country during this mid week disaster? 

Lost?  No, but it'll settle out.  Should be freezing rain and sleet on the cold east slope pockets like the mountain too.

This stuff is hearty synoptic snow and the snowpack has a lot of water in it...this will not go anywhere with maybe 24 hours of temps in the 30s with some rain.  Honestly calling it a "disaster" seems to be a bit much for what it looks like up this way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

DDH came in with .43" precip during the event.  I came in at 1.43"LE melted. -pretty big discrepancy for 2 western slope locations   Pretty much exactly what this 3K nam run showed from a few days ago though.  I feel like they had more than that though just driving through there and because of the wind factor.  I dont know how those ASOS stations work in windy conditions, must have missed some of the precip, Maybe @dendrite would know about how they perform in the wind.

I think it definitely could've underreported. This stretch seems like it should've dropped more than 0.01".

METAR KDDH 202135Z AUTO 30010G16KT 1/2SM SN VV011 M13/M16 A2949 RMK AO2 P0001 T11281156 =

METAR KDDH 202124Z AUTO 29009KT 1SM -SN VV012 M12/M16 A2949 RMK AO2 P0001 T11221156 =

METAR KDDH 202111Z AUTO 29007KT 1/2SM SN VV008 M12/M15 A2947 RMK AO2 P0001 T11221150 =

METAR KDDH 202054Z AUTO 29008KT 1/2SM SN VV011 M12/M15 A2947 RMK AO2 SLP991 P0000 60000 T11171150 53024 =

METAR KDDH 202046Z AUTO 31007KT 3/4SM -SN BKN013 OVC027 M12/M15 A2947 RMK AO2 PRESRR P0000 T11171150 =

I'm not sure what the gauge is there...ie AWPAGs or a heated tipper.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Lost?  No, but it'll settle out.  Should be freezing rain and sleet on the cold east slope pockets like the mountain too.

This stuff is hearty synoptic snow and the snowpack has a lot of water in it...this will not go anywhere with maybe 24 hours of temps in the 30s with some rain.  Honestly calling it a "disaster" seems to be a bit much for what it looks like up this way.

I had to laugh hard at that question,  could you imagine the disaster if you lost 10 inches of water in 24 hrs.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I had to laugh hard at that question,  could you imagine the disaster if you lost 10 inches of water in 24 hrs.

Haha, I don't know if it would even be possible.  Your comment made me think, what could melt this in 24 hours?  Maybe at 85/67 for 24 hours?  9-10 inches of water with a very cold core temperature and literally just straight ice for the last 16"...interesting to think about.

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha, I don't know if it would even be possible.  Your comment made me think, what could melt this in 24 hours?  Maybe at 85/67 for 24 hours?  9-10 inches of water with a very cold core temperature and literally just straight ice for the last 16"...interesting to think about.

That would be a cool analysis. Way more physics than I care to know. :)

In the meantime, crazy to think that it's going to melt when we are currently down to -6. But it will and we'll be the first ones in the Whites to rain as usual ;)

34 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

yeah but it's gonna lead to crappy skiing....bare spots, mud spots, exposed roots and rocks.  Swamps opening up on the sled trails....slush pits for ice fishing. You know what I mean? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

yeah but it's gonna lead to crappy skiing....bare spots, mud spots, exposed roots and rocks.  Swamps opening up on the sled trails....slush pits for ice fishing. You know what I mean? 

Dude, Mansfield has 80” and then there is all the man made on the trails. My forecast high is like 37, I’m pretty sure we can survive this mild up. As for the sled trails, they will survive as well. There was a rock solid base and there needs to be some settling of this powder. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

It won't even lead to bare spots on my driveway.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I don’t know but I was getting the ark ready.

22 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Dogs living with cats?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I was thinking that as well.  I've got 6" of hardpack that's going to turn to glare ice with some rain.  Plow can't scrape it either.  

I think you guys are just underestimating what some of the cutter McCutCuts can do in a short amount of time....high dews and fog eating snow does more damage than you think, just ask the Rev.  You've been spoiled all winter so now you take it for granted that nothing can touch you. I hope I'm wrong, but areas not as far north as Moosehead like Plymouth NH, Killington, Stratton area are not going to come out of this looking pretty I think. 

41 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I think you guys are just underestimating what some of the cutter McCutCuts can do in a short amount of time....high dews and fog eating snow does more damage than you think, just ask the Rev.  You've been spoiled all winter so now you take it for granted that nothing can touch you. I hope I'm wrong, but areas not as far north as Moosehead like Plymouth NH, Killington, Stratton area are not going to come out of this looking pretty I think. 

I don't think that's true at all.  We all are pretty well versed in the damage that cutters and warm ups can cause, just look at the last two Februarys.  We were shut down snowmobile trailwise pretty much statewide.  I just don't think this particular storm will cause as much damage as you think.  It's a quick hitter.  We won't be in the 50's and there will be some frozen precip at the start to help cap the powder on the ground now.  It is completely possible that I am wrong because, let's face it, I'm not the sharpest meteorological knife in the drawer but PF is very well versed in all things snow and he doesn't appear overly concerned so I am going to hod off on the doom and gloom for now.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I just don't think this particular storm will cause as much damage as you think.  It's a quick hitter.  We won't be in the 50's and there will be some frozen precip at the start to help cap the powder on the ground now.  It is completely possible that I am wrong because, let's face it, I'm not the sharpest meteorological knife in the drawer but PF is very well versed in all things snow and he doesn't appear overly concerned so I am going to hold off on the doom and gloom for now.

If you’re ever unsure of how a mixed system is going to affect the snowpack and want an objective analysis of the results without all the silly weenie stuff, just go the NOHRSC plots that Ginx told us about.

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html

They’re not necessarily perfect for every nuance of every system, but from what I’ve seen for our site in comparison to my empirical observations, their modeling is quite good.  You can use the map to check on whatever locations you’d like, but you can see from the plot for our site that the effects of the system are expected to be pretty inconsequential as folks have been saying.  The red “Snow Melt Rate” line doesn’t even blip with this event, which speaks volumes.  And this is for our site in the valley - imagine how insignificant it is for the mountains where the snowpack is more than doubled in places:

23JAN19A.jpg

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

That seems about right.  Actually, when I saw the initial inquiry about the snowpack in the north country being lost, it seemed so obscenely obtuse that the only appropriate response had to be Dendrite’s image:

I don't think it'll be lost.... But it's going to take a hit.... Like losing a foot or something along those lines