Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

It all comes down to the positioning of the northern short waves and the PV....need to time it where the low comes up the coast right after the front that provides the cold air....

IF that HP is as big as modeled, no doubt that will play into CAD and front end thumpage potential.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I think we need Mappys description

Just read your last post and agree wholeheartedly.  Lots of options, but lots of possible hits. 

While its pure craziness to parse op runs at 198hours, like stated many times, its why many are here...so long as you dont live and die by each run (and post like it).  Level heads and keep it Chill (see what I did there Bob). 

Fun times ahead....

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just read your last post and agree wholeheartedly.  Lots of options, but lots of possible hits. 

While its pure craziness to parse op runs at 198hours, like stated many times, its why many are here...so long as you dont live and die by each run (and post like it).  Level heads and keep it Chill (see what I did there Bob). 

Fun times ahead....

We're just having fun. Living the dream. Some people need to chill. No one is expecting any run to nail details at this range. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Euro op has been lights out deadly at this range since the upgrade! :arrowhead:

Your point is well taken. However the last couple years much of that variability was in a northern stream dominant Nina pattern and guidance was all over the place from range with longwave features and even if a storm would exist at all. At least this time all the guidance had a storm in the same general area and we're debating details. Important details but the models might be more stable at range in this pattern.  An stj system traversing the Conus as a cold pattern starts to relax in a nino is a pretty typical way we score.  Doesn't mean this won't fail just some reasons to be more hopeful then long range teases during a Nina pattern  

13 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hopefully a majority of the 12z EPS members will agree with or look something like the 12z Euro OP

There were a bunch that looked pretty similar last night. EPS typically follows the op in general inside of 10 days so the EPS run will prob look really good. Cuts both ways though. If the op loses the good track @ 0z then the ens will follow the lead

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro ens are solid. Still spread of course but a lot to like this run... A LOT

Thats great news Bob.  I hope we can count on the EURO and the EPS as being torch bearers for this storm and keep some semblance of a big storm for us.  Still 8 days away unfortunately...

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Looking further down the line... the EPS is shifting the AK trough/vortex further west into the Bering Sea. Another sign that the "torch" may not materialize. 

But I was looking forward to a good meltdown over in the panic room.  Drat 

If I had to place money on it we moderate for a week or so after the 14th but nothing torch worthy and by xmas were tracking something again. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Wait you don't suppose he might live like right in the middle of that 2'+ area?  And I'm sure if he does that's purely coincidence!

some things are a lot easier to predict then snow. 

Euro control is a central VA jack but also 6" up to the MD/PA line. Misses the NE for the most part. Maybe this storm will end up being a JV version of Dec 09...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But I was looking forward to a good meltdown over in the panic room.  Drat 

If I had to place money on it we moderate for a week or so after the 14th but nothing torch worthy and by xmas were tracking something again. 

It would be kinda funny (and awesome) if this pattern change is the aleutian trough/low setting up and not some ugly AK blue monster. Guidance is warming up to the idea but still plenty of work before the pac looks good on the panels. 

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Your point is well taken. However the last couple years much of that variability was in a northern stream dominant Nina pattern and guidance was all over the place from range with longwave features and even if a storm would exist at all. At least this time all the guidance had a storm in the same general area and we're debating details. Important details but the models might be more stable at range in this pattern.  An stj system traversing the Conus as a cold pattern starts to relax in a nino is a pretty typical way we score.  Doesn't mean this won't fail just some reasons to be more hopeful then long range teases during a Nina pattern  

Never, ever, EVER trusting anything in the LR in a Nina again. Probably the hardest lesson I learned last winter, lol

If your theory about the EURO is true...and it were still be showing said solution by say...Sunday or Monday...maybe we can prepare to buckle up? Maybe...lol (I think the EURO needs to take it's crown back...and now is an excellent time to do it! :D

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic