NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Here we go

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Gray ME
314 PM EDT Tue Oct 23 2018

...First Accumulating Snow of the Season in Some Areas...

Nice! I have been looking to buy a hole in the wall or some land around Rangeley but it's a bit expensive around the lake. Beautiful though. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Nice! I have been looking to buy a hole in the wall or some land around Rangeley but it's a bit expensive around the lake. Beautiful though. 

Anywhere around a body of water will be, But that whole region is awesome, You should be able to find something more reasonable off to the NW.

• Like 1

Great afternoon weather wise.  Rain began with temps in the low 40's.  Became steady and heavier with occ. lightning.  Around 515pm, as the sun was getting low the sky became an errie yellow.  I suspect it was the sun shining through heavy snow above me.  Lots of lightning and thunder with some close hits.  Rain is ending with mostly lots of blue sky to the west.  After very little wind it has become quite breezy.  Very similar to the end of a summer T storm.  Looks like about .75"   Congrats Euro as far as QPF.  

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Great afternoon weather wise.  Rain began with temps in the low 40's.  Became steady and heavier with occ. lightning.  Around 515pm, as the sun was getting low the sky became an errie yellow.  I suspect it was the sun shining through heavy snow above me.  Lots of lightning and thunder with some close hits.  Rain is ending with mostly lots of blue sky to the west.  After very little wind it has become quite breezy.  Very similar to the end of a summer T storm.  Looks like about .75"   Congrats Euro as far as QPF.  

We are dealing with a network outage so I haven't been keeping up but what do you mean its ending? I thought this thing was going through tomorrow...???

Just now, alex said:

We are dealing with a network outage so I haven't been keeping up but what do you mean its ending? I thought this thing was going through tomorrow...???

Alex,  the initial wave of moisture is moving through and it will come to an end up your way probably in the next hour.  Then as the storm gets going in the Gulf of Maine the winds turn north and moisture backs in from the north and east so the precip will restart.  That will bring in the colder air and it should fall as snow overnight.  Down my way its downslope off the Whites and Im too far SW to get the good wrap around.  That's my non Met take on things...

Nice sunset for me as the thunderstorms and heavy rain move east.  

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,  the initial wave of moisture is moving through and it will come to an end up your way probably in the next hour.  Then as the storm gets going in the Gulf of Maine the winds turn north and moisture backs in from the north and east so the precip will restart.  That will bring in the colder air and it should fall as snow overnight.  Down my way its downslope off the Whites and Im too far SW to get the good wrap around.  That's my non Met take on things...

Nice sunset for me as the thunderstorms and heavy rain move east.  

I see... Thanks for the update! Down to 33.9 now with slush on the deck. We'll see what the main course is!

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This was a photo from Stowe just before 5pm.. the accumulation line was around 2,000ft at that point.  Was mixed rain/snow at 1,500ft where I took the photo.

bdmE3BX.jpg

Always love those pics. It'd drive me crazy knowing it's pounding just a bit up above my head.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Always love those pics. It'd drive me crazy knowing it's pounding just a bit up above my head.

Nah, I like it. Makes for beautiful scenery. 

I posted this from Cannon on the other thread. Not as good of a picture since as always I was running late and couldn't stop. 

In the meantime the deluge of wet snow continues here, 1.03" of LE so far but just a slushy but very slippery coating 

D90BBFC9-C9A7-412D-A769-B944E6247AD7.jpeg

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hah, we could see the aggregates this afternoon and occasionally they would come all the way down to the base area elevation in the heavier bursts.  But it is something interesting to actually see it snowing (individual flakes) against the terrain but not have it get to you.

Speaking of pounding... check out BML's liquid.  They are at 1.25sm -SN but have picked up 0.35" of L.E. in about 90 minutes at 34F.  Probably some obscenely wet heavy snow that isn't able to get visibility that low but given those precip rates, if you are at 32F or lower at like 2,000ft up there it's gotta be snowing 2"/hr.

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wet snow falling at the house this morning, no accums but it's definitely over to all snow.

At our house in Waterbury, I didn’t see any frozen precipitation yesterday evening or early this morning, but things have definitely changed over to snow now in line with PF’s report from Stowe.  Raindrops on the windshield had obvious crystals in them when I was heading out around 7:45 A.M. and the precipitation was fully over to snow by about 8:15 A.M.

There really wasn’t much change in the accumulation at the Sugarbush Lincoln Peak Cam overnight; there are a couple of inches there that were picked up with the initial phase of this system.  Higher elevations off to the north and east are definitely seeing some additional accumulations though.