• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

Tip inquired about the typical date of first snowfall on Mansfield it in the general thread, and I’ve been somewhat curious as well, so I just ran the numbers on the Mt. Mansfield Co-Op data from 1954.  There are a couple of seasons not included in the analysis because of gaps in the data collection, but there are still 62 seasons in the data set that should be providing accurate data barring any other observations issues.  The data suggest this is a few days on the late side of the mean for first accumulating snow, but overall quite typical:

Date of 1st Accumulating Snow at Mt. Mansfield, VT Co-Op Station:

Mean:  10/10

Median:  10/8

Mode:  10/17

S.D.:  15 days

n:  62

Earliest:  8/28/1986

Latest:  11/17/1985

• Like 1

BTV on the lookout for Snowliage, the mix of snow and foliage this week.  Looks like more snow chances even to the mountain valleys mid-week.

Highs Wednesday will only be in the upper 30s to mid 40s with snow levels lowering through the day to near the valley floor by sunset. As such, morning rain showers will mix with and change to snow by early afternoon across the Adirondacks, and then during the remainder of the afternoon over central and northern Vermont, lingering into Wednesday night. While early in the game to nail down the finer details, the potential exists for total snow accumulations by Thursday morning of 1-3" above 1500' and a dusting to an inch from 500-1500'. In addition, winds Wednesday will be quite brisk with gusts likely in the 20-30 mph range, which will make for some chilly wind chills. Surface high pressure builds back in the region for Thursday with dry conditions ensuing. Temps remain quite cold for mid-October with lows Wednesday night mainly in the 20s, and highs Thursday only in the 30s. Depending on how much snow falls on the higher elevations, and the amount of leaves left on the trees, we could have some nice snowliage Thursday afternoon/evening with some breaks of sunshine possible. 

• Like 1

After seeing that the elevations were still socked in this morning, I gave the clouds some time to think about clearing a bit, and then headed out in the neighborhood to see what snow might be visible.  Indeed the cloud ceiling had risen by about another 2,000’ by this afternoon and I was able to catch Camel’s Hump as the clouds had just about broken away.  The snow line at that point looked to be around 3,000’.

13OCT18A.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s a great shot. 

Thanks, I think it does a nice job of capturing the snow line in the afternoon around here, as well as the somewhat past peak state of the local foliage.  There’s still some color out there, but we’ve clearly lost a lot of leaves at this point.

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Thanks, I think it does a nice job of capturing the snow line in the afternoon around here, as well as the somewhat past peak state of the local foliage.  There’s still some color out there, but we’ve clearly lost a lot of leaves at this point.

Lakes and mountains are my second home. I love the contrast. Maybe at some point we can get a nice coastal blizzard for you in Norwell. :lol: 

18 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Lakes and mountains are my second home. I love the contrast. Maybe at some point we can get a nice coastal blizzard for you in Norwell. :lol: 

I honestly want to experience a coastal blizzard... like right there on the water with 60mph and snow.  I mean you see that on the mountain but I think it would be fun to see in an urban setting.

On 10/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, powderfreak said:

BTV on the lookout for Snowliage, the mix of snow and foliage this week.  Looks like more snow chances even to the mountain valleys mid-week.

Highs Wednesday will only be in the upper 30s to mid 40s with snow levels lowering through the day to near the valley floor by sunset. As such, morning rain showers will mix with and change to snow by early afternoon across the Adirondacks, and then during the remainder of the afternoon over central and northern Vermont, lingering into Wednesday night. While early in the game to nail down the finer details, the potential exists for total snow accumulations by Thursday morning of 1-3" above 1500' and a dusting to an inch from 500-1500'. In addition, winds Wednesday will be quite brisk with gusts likely in the 20-30 mph range, which will make for some chilly wind chills. Surface high pressure builds back in the region for Thursday with dry conditions ensuing. Temps remain quite cold for mid-October with lows Wednesday night mainly in the 20s, and highs Thursday only in the 30s. Depending on how much snow falls on the higher elevations, and the amount of leaves left on the trees, we could have some nice snowliage Thursday afternoon/evening with some breaks of sunshine possible. 

I remember getting some great snowliage shots in the Notch on a couple of occasions. 10/17/2015 was a good one:

12107220_10102924849859349_1627220389880

12095087_10102925816477239_2798189656359

12032765_10102925474966629_4804406853013

12080174_10102924850318429_1943678999493

12105820_10102924850478109_6182531448281

• Like 2

21 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I honestly want to experience a coastal blizzard... like right there on the water with 60mph and snow.  I mean you see that on the mountain but I think it would be fun to see in an urban setting.

I've witnessed just one, BWI in Jan. 1966, but it was impressive - 2"/hour powder at mid-teens during the evening, then 100-yard visibility in SN/blowing snow the next morning as 50-mph gusts played with 15-18" of new fluff.  Probably 90% of the city streets were impassable at one point, and I nearly lost my chance to ride the train home to NNJ for semester break 2 days later, as the PRR was way off schedule.  The downside was apparent when I returned 8-9 days post-storm, and saw that half the side streets remained impassable for anything w/o 4WD.

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some photos from this weekend...

Excellent stuff PF – this “snowliage” period is one of my favorites around here.

It looks like there’s more potential this week - lots of flakes in the Mansfield point forecast, so it should be fun to see what happens in the coming days.

15OCT18A.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Dumping on the mountain...snow levels are  lowering, can see the bright banding near the radar site.  Maybe some graupel reaching lower elevations?

IMG_0902.GIF.5eec2a3607b892238958df8321c322d6.GIF

Multiple colleagues here at UVM reported a period “hail” among the rain for 10-15 minutes.  I didn’t witness it myself to get a better idea if it was actually sleet or graupel, but there was definitely something frozen making it down to even the valley levels here in the Burlington area.

51 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Multiple colleagues here at UVM reported a period “hail” among the rain for 10-15 minutes.  I didn’t witness it myself to get a better idea if it was actually sleet or graupel, but there was definitely something frozen making it down to even the valley levels here in the Burlington area.

Snowing briefly at the Stowe base now.  Mixed with graupel, pooling in the eaves of the roof tops haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Well, unless there was some in the past several days that I missed, today marks our first trace of frozen for the season here in Waterbury.  What I saw here was similar to what I assume folks in Burlington had seen – heavier precipitation bringing sleet/graupel all the way to the valley floor.  This is pretty much right on track for our usual first trace of frozen, with mean and median date both at October 20th, and an S.D. of 6 days.  This is actually the same date for first trace of frozen as in 2015-2016, so that now makes October 17th the mode for this parameter.

There’s no accumulation to report, but our point forecast suggests there is the possibility for some tonight, so we’ll see if anything comes of that.

• Like 1

First frozen at home in Stowe too... it has to be graupel but it looks more like sleety pellets.  I know Tamarack saw some the other day where the atmosphere wasn't one that would lead to pellets, and it's the same today here.  That last shower today was similar, it wasn't dippin dots like up at the mountain... it was more like clear pellets.  Unless that's just what the last vestiges of graupel looks like before it fully melts?