Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

J.Spin will appreciate this... just persistent flurries and -SHSN down in town but there's a giant mountain that should be in this photo but it has been hiding behind its "wall of white."  Steady snow is only a few miles away but never gets here.

IMG_0968.JPG.45f5c6db8d7e23635aa92ad8b54cbe09.JPG

Well appreciated.  Here at our place we’ve got fairly consistent flakes in the air, but it’s definitely got that pulsing nature of upslope with bursts of heavier rates at times.  I still haven’t seen anything above the level of light intensity though.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy that we are actually getting the light snow to stick here in the valley now on October 21st.  White dusting on cars, rooftops and some grassy areas.

Yeah, I just checked outside and we’ve got a 0.2” coating on elevated surfaces that’s hanging around now that the temperatures have been coming down.  Light snow continues to fall at varying intensities, but accumulations are still very transient on the warm ground and only elevated surfaces are holding it.

34F light flurries this evening. 

We need to start that snow thread again so I can add in my .5" from the other morning.  Gray AFD seems bullish on mountain accumulating snow on Tuesday.  Then a big storm next weekend.  Way out there but don't see a lot of cold air.  Track could be anywhere, hook inland or off the coast.  This mornings GFS had the storm at the elbow of the cape.  That's a perfect track in winter for me.

Nice to be back in an active pattern.  From this point forward snow possibilities increase climo wise. 

Congrats Alex on the pup.  Now we got to get your cam going,  I never know what is happening in the Whites. 

41 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

That northwest flow has been consistently there all day keeping flakes in the air, the precipitation has generally been quite light, but it’s still chugging right along:

21OCT18A.gif

It has been very light (heaviest has probably been 2-3 mile visibility) but man has it been consistent.  I think there have been flakes in the air now for like 7 hours straight even in town.  

The "persistent flurry" as I like to think of it...just keeps going.  Met up with a BTV met here in Stowe earlier today and we couldn't believe how cold it has to be for good snow growth from orographic precip in October all the way to the valley floor. 

Ground is still warm like you said, so the brief whitening is elevated surfaces and cars with a tenth of an inch or so, but quite the wintry vibe with flakes floating around all day.  First snow globe type day of the season though radar seems to finally be on the decrease.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/Trace L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34 F

Sky: Cloudy

After a simply gorgeous fall day on Saturday, Sunday kicked off cold and blustery, and once the snow showers got started in the morning, they literally kept going all day with that classic upslope flow from the northwest.  There were still a few flakes coming down, even around midnight last night.

We had numerous rounds of transient snow accumulations during the day, and it stuck around better after dark when the temperatures had dropped a bit, but there was still nothing around as of this morning.  I recorded one of the early 0.1” accumulations, and then a 0.2” accumulation later in the day after one of the heavier bouts of snowfall, but what I found in the rain gauge this morning was a bit under 0.01” so liquid goes down as a trace.

This event was the second accumulating one at our site this month, and the fourth one for the mountains.  Looking ahead, there seems to be some potential for snow in the midweek timeframe, and then again out toward the weekend.

22 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It has been very light (heaviest has probably been 2-3 mile visibility) but man has it been consistent.  I think there have been flakes in the air now for like 7 hours straight even in town.  

The "persistent flurry" as I like to think of it...just keeps going.  Met up with a BTV met here in Stowe earlier today and we couldn't believe how cold it has to be for good snow growth from orographic precip in October all the way to the valley floor. 

Ground is still warm like you said, so the brief whitening is elevated surfaces and cars with a tenth of an inch or so, but quite the wintry vibe with flakes floating around all day.  First snow globe type day of the season though radar seems to finally be on the decrease.

I think that met is clearly expecting a photo from you in 2 days :)

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/... As of 444 PM EDT Monday."Wouldn`t be surprised to see an image from Mt Mansfield with 3-6 inches total from Tuesday night through Wednesday."

5 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

I think that met is clearly expecting a photo from you in 2 days :)

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/... As of 444 PM EDT Monday."Wouldn`t be surprised to see an image from Mt Mansfield with 3-6 inches total from Tuesday night through Wednesday."

Haha, different met than who wrote that but they know me well at BTV.  Really the only reports they ever get from above 2,500ft I think.  Plenty of picnic table, "PF" and now photo references this fall.  

Those guys and gals at BTV are really the best forecasters for the Green Mountains out of everyone and any vendor, no one else gets the mountain snowfall gradients like them.  

Looks like a near miss for me from that developing Maine low.  Never do good in wrap around moisture but the season is still very young.  Trees are still mostly in leaf around here so some glop would create more problems than normal.

Never know if I should be posting in the NNE threads or the main ones that get all the hits.  Will try to get this thread more active but now many of us northerners.

13 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Never know if I should be posting in the NNE threads or the main ones that get all the hits.  Will try to get this thread more active but now many of us northerners.

Even though this sub forum seems to be less active than it was in years past, when a big storm is taking place, observations still get buried in the main threads very quickly.  So, I always try to post mine in the NNE thread where they’ll be easier to find.  We’re lucky in that we can essentially have a single thread for the entire winter, and all our observations and discussion is right there to find when it’s needed as a resource.  I’ll occasionally post observations in the main threads if it seems relevant, but for the most part, the general population of the sub forum isn’t that interested in what goes on up here.  We’ve got a dramatically different climate up in NNE, and that difference is exacerbated the farther north and west one goes.  As folks have noted, it’s hard to get a storm that is big region-wide – we’ll often have events up here that aren’t even a blip father south, or we’ll be on the fringe if something big is going on along the coast.  I’d say just play it by ear though, you’re going to have a chance to be in synch with more ENE/SNE events in your location compared to those of us in NVT, so you can post where things are happening.  Any material in the NNE thread is good though, since we’re not typically suffering from an excess of posts.

On 10/21/2018 at 5:51 PM, powderfreak said:

Crazy that we are actually getting the light snow to stick here in the valley now on October 21st.  White dusting on cars, rooftops and some grassy areas.

I was up in Stowe on Sunday evening. Certainly impressive to have dusting on my car when I got back to it after dinner!

2 hours ago, WxBlue said:

I was up in Stowe on Sunday evening. Certainly impressive to have dusting on my car when I got back to it after dinner!

Yeah that was impressive given the date and how lightly it was snowing that it could stick.  

I'm up at work at the ski resort and it's obviously snowing hard above 2,000-2,500ft with fresh white on the trails in the past hour down to a little below 2,500ft.  Trees are white up there too.  A few catpaws on the windshield at 1,500ft but it's 38F and rain in the end.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm up at work at the ski resort and it's obviously snowing hard above 2,000-2,500ft with fresh white on the trails in the past hour down to a little below 2,500ft.  Trees are white up there too.  A few catpaws on the windshield at 1,500ft but it's 38F and rain in the end.

Ahh, I was wondering how it was going up there – looking out at the wall of precipitation, it’s not quite the obvious white of all snow.  Temperature is 30 F up top at the co-op according to the latest readings.

Sugarbush live cams show snowfall at the base of Lincoln Peak with no accumulation and closing in on 2 inches of accumulation up top at the snowboard cam.

Light to moderate rain has started.  Looks like the snow line is around 2300 feet in the Whites right now.  Lost river cam has rain but the mountains just above are obscured in snow.  I think the areas above 1500 feet in the Whites will do very well this evening.

Edit.  Looks like a mix at the base of Loon as of 2pm

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that was impressive given the date and how lightly it was snowing that it could stick.  

Not bad! Mountains were covered in the mist of snow showers so I couldn't tell what was going on up there. However, the town of Stowe itself (1,000 feet?) had a nice burst of flurries sticking to everything for about two to three hours. It was really impressive for the downslope region.

30 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Light to moderate rain has started.  Looks like the snow line is around 2300 feet in the Whites right now.  Lost river cam has rain but the mountains just above are obscured in snow.  I think the areas above 1500 feet in the Whites will do very well this evening.

Edit.  Looks like a mix at the base of Loon as of 2pm

NWS not overly excited about it - up to 1/2". A little frozen mixed in but mostly rain for now, 39F

57 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Not bad! Mountains were covered in the mist of snow showers so I couldn't tell what was going on up there. However, the town of Stowe itself (1,000 feet?) had a nice burst of flurries sticking to everything for about two to three hours. It was really impressive for the downslope region.

Town of Stowe itself is mostly 700-800ft where all the restaurants and bars are on Mountain Road and RT 100.  

On RT 108 towards themountain you hit 1,000ft at like the Matterhorn Bar only a couple miles from the ski resort.  

So on Sunday the flow was unblocked, so we actually were seeing the light upslope precipitation from Mansfield.  Despite being on a WNW wind, the most consistent precip (still just 3-8sm -SN/--SN) was falling on the east slope.  Snow showers were going well downwind of the mountains in that set-up with not much on the west side actually.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Town of Stowe itself is mostly 700-800ft where all the restaurants and bars are on Mountain Road and RT 100.  

On RT 108 towards themountain you hit 1,000ft at like the Matterhorn Bar only a couple miles from the ski resort.  

So on Sunday the flow was unblocked, so we actually were seeing the light upslope precipitation from Mansfield.  Despite being on a WNW wind, the most consistent precip (still just 3-8sm -SN/--SN) was falling on the east slope.  Snow showers were going well downwind of the mountains in that set-up with not much on the west side actually.

Huh that's interesting! I think calling it "downslope" was clearly poor choice of word, but you know more about your own area's geography than I ever will in my whole life. But I figured at least the snow was coming from Mt. Mansfield's orographic effect as the wind was WNW. I was a research assistant for a study on orographic effect snow in mountains of North Carolina so I had some idea on what was going on.

Here we go

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Gray ME
314 PM EDT Tue Oct 23 2018

...First Accumulating Snow of the Season in Some Areas...

.Low pressure over the the Great Lakes region will redevelop and intensify
in the Gulf of Maine tonight and then move northeast into the
maritimes Wednesday. This system will produce the first signficant
snowfall for some areas in the mountains and higher terrain.

MEZ008-009-240715-
/O.UPG.KGYX.WW.Y.0018.000000T0000Z-181024T1800Z/
/O.NEW.KGYX.WS.W.0008.181024T0000Z-181024T2200Z/
Northern Franklin-Central Somerset-
Including the cities of Coburn Gore, Davis, Oquossoc, Rangeley,
Avon, Kingfield, Phillips, New Portland, Brassua, Long Pond,
Moosehead, Pittston Farm, Seboomook, Bingham, and Jackman
314 PM EDT Tue Oct 23 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM
EDT WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions, including during the morning commute on Wednesday.
  Total snow accumulations of 5 to 8 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Northern Franklin and Central Somerset Counties.

* WHEN...From 8 PM this evening to 6 PM EDT Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for significant reductions in
  visibility at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means severe winter weather
conditions are expected. If you must travel, keep an extra
flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an
emergency. For a more precise forecast for your specific
location...go to www.weather.gov/gray.
  • Like 1