Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Feel bad for the kids that have to go to the T-Day games today, my daughter being one of them.  She is not looking forward to freezing her ass off.

But but but...the wussification...   yeah. It is pretty chilly out.  Just walked the dog on an abbreviated walk. Would not want to be at or play in a game today.   Winds are not as bad as last night but with blowing snow and 7F temps it would not be fun.

happy thanksgiving!  Porters and Stouts and Amber Ales for all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Can anyone recommend their best waterproof and warm winter gloves? Something for working would be preferred. Reviews for many gloves suck when it comes to warmth or waterproofing.

Tough to find warm gloves, Your best shot is with goretex, But out hunting, I opt for mitts or i have a hand warmer similar to what TB12 wears around his waste to keep my bare hands in to be able to shoot, That won't help in your case though.

31 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Tough to find warm gloves, Your best shot is with goretex, But out hunting, I opt for mitts or i have a hand warmer similar to what TB12 wears around his waste to keep my bare hands in to be able to shoot, That won't help in your case though.

I just need something for snowblowing my long driveway and dealing with the birds outside if I need to. I can tolerate not super warm, but I can't tolerate damp.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Goretex then is the way to go, Waterproof and warm.

I just got some Carhartt ones that are really warm, but people are bitching about them getting wet on the inside. I've never been able to find anything truly waterproof so I figured you skiers or snowmobilers would know. I'll check some out...thanks.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I just got some Carhartt ones that are really warm, but people are bitching about them getting wet on the inside. I've never been able to find anything truly waterproof so I figured you skiers or snowmobilers would know. I'll check some out...thanks.

I am an Eddie Bauer fan for soft shell pants.Wear them over your Carhartts (they do get wet)

Guide-built soft shell pants for alpine climbing, mountaineering, and hiking. Rugged Flexion stretch fabric of nylon/spandex is highly weather-resistant and breathable. Multiple secure zip pockets provide ample storage. Articulated knees and gusseted crotch allow for full range of motion.

• 6.1-OZ 90D FLEXION SOFT SHELL FABRICSuperior flexibility, durability, and breathability
  • STORMREPEL® DWR FINISHSheds moisture so it doesn't soak in
  • SECURE ZIP THIGH POCKETSDiscreet bellows construction for low-profile storage
  • SECURE ZIP HAND POCKETSEasy access to essentials
FIT

Active: Our most athletic fit. Close to the body without restricting mobility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

That may be because of sweat? You need breathable, An Goretex all is that, But truly, Gloves are not a very good option for deep cold, When I ride I have hand guards and heated handle bars, But if it’s below zero, I slap on a pair of gauntlets.

I use gauntlets all the time. I must be cold blooded. Unless is 30f+ my hands get cold

That may be because of sweat? You need breathable, An Goretex all is that, But truly, Gloves are not a very good option for deep cold, When I ride I have hand guards and heated handle bars, But if it’s below zero, I slap on a pair of gauntlets.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 11/21/2018 at 6:07 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Lol a whole lot, sounds like legal troubles enroute from saying Tequila Beers were made in Tequila kegs, fact was they illegally poured it in the brew

I spent better part of an hour reading comments on the R/beer thread on this hot mess and there were a bunch of horror stories emerging from current and former employees of other breweries. Trillium is not the only brewery with some questionable practices. Either way, I'm kind over the $5 cans of palate killing, haze bombs.  Lots of other great beer styles out there.  Plus, what I pay for a case of TH or similar buys me a real nice bottle of bourbon that lasts me a lot longer. 

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

I assumed these were fairly farm/yard work focused, so wasn’t going to add anything, but since you brought in the skier aspect, perhaps they don’t need to be super hard-core oriented in that direction?  From a seams (i.e. easy water penetration points) per square inch of fabric standpoint, gloves are simply ridiculous, so as was mentioned, Gore-Tex (or other equivalent waterproof breathable fabric) with taped seams is the best bet.

The next thing to think about is how much dexterity you need.  If you have certain tasks that require a lot of dexterity, you’ll want a modular/insert system with a fairly thin insert where you can take off the outer portion of the glove and still have your hands reasonably covered for the detail tasks.  In my case, the detail work is photography out in the elements, where bulky gloves are just not going to cut it when you’re trying to run the camera.

My ideal system is a leather/Gore-Tex outer gauntlet (the longer the better) that has the insulation and retention cords, and then an uninsulated light to mid-weight synthetic or leather Gore-Tex inner with excellent dexterity.  I have a fantastic pair of Marmot gloves that are just about perfect, short of the full/mostly leather outer.  I got about 20 years out of them (which says a lot because we’re talking 40-60 ski days a season over that period) but they got to the point where I had sewn them so many times that they were simply running out of fabric.  They’re now my snowblower, winter yard work, winter play gloves because they’re fine for stuff in the yard, but they’re not necessarily going to cut it for a full day out in the elements.

Unfortunately that exact model no longer exists, so I’ve got a couple of pairs that I used now, and I can give you the pros and cons on those from my perspective:

https://www.marmot.com/ultimate-ski-glove/14160.html

Pros:  Leather where it counts, Gore-Tex, gauntlets, retention cords

Cons:  They’re not modular, and not meant to be, so for an insert I have to use a very thin liner for an inner, or I’d have to move a size up and lose a lot of dexterity when the outers are on.  Also, the gauntlets are too short in my opinion.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ski-gloves/guide-BD801516_cfg.html

Pros:  Tons of leather where it counts, Gore-Tex, nice long gauntlets

Cons:  These are modular, but the outer is the leather, and the inner is the bulky layer with the insulation.  This isn’t going to cut it for my dexterity needs, so I supply my own dexterous medium or heavyweight inners depending on the temperature.  These also don’t come with retention cords for whatever reason, so I had to supply my own.

My wife has the finger version, which is a good way to go if you want more warmth but still want to retain that index finger dexterity:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ski-gloves/guide-finger-BD801521_cfg.html

And obviously they’ve got full mitt versions as well, but that depends on what sort of balance you need between warmth and dexterity.  Mitts do have less exterior seams, so they can be even more solid with respect to waterproofing.

Finally, even with the Gore-Tex, if you want to bomb proof these further for waterproofing and maximum breathability, you’ll want to hit the leather with a waterproofing treatment.  If you want the Gore-Tex to have maximum breathability, you can’t have any water sitting on the outer surface of the garment.  Ideally you want to treat the non-leather surfaces as well, but for the leather parts you can use something like Nikwax leather waterproofing:

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=503

Anyway, that’s probably more info than you may have needed, and you have think about the balance between your warmth/dexterity priorities, but hopefully others can benefit from the discussion.  I have a lot of years of experience working on keeping hands dry in the mountains in winter for my needs, so I figured I’d share the things I’ve learned.

• Like 1

Hey all, Happy Thanksgiving...ended up Watching LOTR Return of the King instead of football...it just sucks me in everytime...

I am thankful for friends and family and weather family...

And

I am going to pat myself on the back because as of November 1st, I have completely paid off all my student loans! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I assumed these were fairly farm/yard work focused, so wasn’t going to add anything, but since you brought in the skier aspect, perhaps they don’t need to be super hard-core oriented in that direction?  From a seams (i.e. easy water penetration points) per square inch of fabric standpoint, gloves are simply ridiculous, so as was mentioned, Gore-Tex (or other equivalent waterproof breathable fabric) with taped seams is the best bet.

The next thing to think about is how much dexterity you need.  If you have certain tasks that require a lot of dexterity, you’ll want a modular/insert system with a fairly thin insert where you can take off the outer portion of the glove and still have your hands reasonably covered for the detail tasks.  In my case, the detail work is photography out in the elements, where bulky gloves are just not going to cut it when you’re trying to run the camera.

My ideal system is a leather/Gore-Tex outer gauntlet (the longer the better) that has the insulation and retention cords, and then an uninsulated light to mid-weight synthetic or leather Gore-Tex inner with excellent dexterity.  I have a fantastic pair of Marmot gloves that are just about perfect, short of the full/mostly leather outer.  I got about 20 years out of them (which says a lot because we’re talking 40-60 ski days a season over that period) but they got to the point where I had sewn them so many times that they were simply running out of fabric.  They’re now my snowblower, winter yard work, winter play gloves because they’re fine for stuff in the yard, but they’re not necessarily going to cut it for a full day out in the elements.

Unfortunately that exact model no longer exists, so I’ve got a couple of pairs that I used now, and I can give you the pros and cons on those from my perspective:

https://www.marmot.com/ultimate-ski-glove/14160.html

Pros:  Leather where it counts, Gore-Tex, gauntlets, retention cords

Cons:  They’re not modular, and not meant to be, so for an insert I have to use a very thin liner for an inner, or I’d have to move a size up and lose a lot of dexterity when the outers are on.  Also, the gauntlets are too short in my opinion.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ski-gloves/guide-BD801516_cfg.html

Pros:  Tons of leather where it counts, Gore-Tex, nice long gauntlets

Cons:  These are modular, but the outer is the leather, and the inner is the bulky layer with the insulation.  This isn’t going to cut it for my dexterity needs, so I supply my own dexterous medium or heavyweight inners depending on the temperature.  These also don’t come with retention cords for whatever reason, so I had to supply my own.

My wife has the finger version, which is a good way to go if you want more warmth but still want to retain that index finger dexterity:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ski-gloves/guide-finger-BD801521_cfg.html

And obviously they’ve got full mitt versions as well, but that depends on what sort of balance you need between warmth and dexterity.  Mitts do have less exterior seams, so they can be even more solid with respect to waterproofing.

Finally, even with the Gore-Tex, if you want to bomb proof these further for waterproofing and maximum breathability, you’ll want to hit the leather with a waterproofing treatment.  If you want the Gore-Tex to have maximum breathability, you can’t have any water sitting on the outer surface of the garment.  Ideally you want to treat the non-leather surfaces as well, but for the leather parts you can use something like Nikwax leather waterproofing:

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=503

Anyway, that’s probably more info than you may have needed, and you have think about the balance between your warmth/dexterity priorities, but hopefully others can benefit from the discussion.  I have a lot of years of experience working on keeping hands dry in the mountains in winter for my needs, so I figured I’d share the things I’ve learned.

Good stuff. Probably a little pricey for my needs, but I tend to go overboard on some things. I’d probably be picking up chicken poop and dealing with minor coop/run issues this time of year so I’d be concerned of ruining a nice pair of gloves or mitts that quickly.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Good stuff. Probably a little pricey for my needs, but I tend to go overboard on some things. I’d probably be picking up chicken poop and dealing with minor coop/run issues this time of year so I’d be concerned of ruining a nice pair of gloves or mitts that quickly.

Roger that, and the concepts discussed will apply to whatever models you consider when it comes to waterproofing/function.  I tend to go overboard on stuff that really matters, like a pair of gloves that needs to be functional, warm, and dry, for hundreds of days out in the mountains.  Indeed those models are a bit on the pricy side compared to some, but it’s easier to justify when I expect to get a decade or two of top performance out of them.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Thanks for the advice all. I’ll try the ones I have out and see how they work while I check out all of your suggestions. And Steve, it’ll be a little more than snowblowing, but not full farmer status. ;)

In that case

39 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

In that case

Thanks for the advice.

I found some scrolls for you. Maybe Jerry remembers this year?

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/362/6416/733

15 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Hey all, Happy Thanksgiving...ended up Watching LOTR Return of the King instead of football...it just sucks me in everytime...

I am thankful for friends and family and weather family...

And

I am going to pat myself on the back because as of November 1st, I have completely paid off all my student loans! 

I try to watch all or part of the trilogy during winter breaks.  I usually don’t get through it all, or fast forward

The Amazon version sounds interesting.