Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

16 minutes ago, Modfan said:

This forum is stocked with craft beer lovers that proooobably should stay clear of any lifestyles where consumption of substances may bring about deleterious effects; as most know the Main St area of Webster was hit hard by the tornado and it affected many businesses beyond the 3 buildings the news has shown. One of those  businesses affected was Kretschmann Brewery. The brewery had their outside tented area destroyed by the tornado; but the inside portion is ok. Maybe the craft beer afisciando's here could have an impromptu GTG here to help support a local business. While it's not the biggest of places their beers are pretty good. 

52 minutes ago, dryslot said:

What a day yesterday going to Cabbage Island for a clam bake out of Boothbay Harbor, Nice breeze and right around 80°F, Next two days are going to suck heat and temp wise, F uck the 90's.

was out on sebago. went to frye island for lunch. lol. Felt and looked like disney world. Still fun, but zero breeze and wicked hot. Even out on lake was a scorcha!

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

was out on sebago. went to frye island for lunch. lol. Felt and looked like disney world. Still fun, but zero breeze and wicked hot. Even out on lake was a scorcha!

IMO, the double whammy from reflected sunlight has a larger effect than being near the cool water - lakes can be hot places, unless one is in rather than on.

49 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Yeah, There is usually much relief there at sebago except getting in the water.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, There is usually much relief there at sebago except getting in the water.

Models actually suck at that.

My forecast for Sebago is 91, Winni 90. HRRR? 76 and 77.

Typically overdoes the lake influence in all seasons. There is probably a narrow window for shoulder season where the lake is modulating local temps, but at a certain point the land overwhelms the local influences. I mean yes, they are going to be slightly cooler than the surrounding land today, but not 20 degrees cooler.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Models actually suck at that.

My forecast for Sebago is 91, Winni 90. HRRR? 76 and 77.

Typically overdoes the lake influence in all seasons. There is probably a narrow window for shoulder season where the lake is modulating local temps, but at a certain point the land overwhelms the local influences. I mean yes, they are going to be slightly cooler than the surrounding land today, but not 20 degrees cooler.

HRRR........lol, Day like today won't even be noticeable if you were on the beach or on the water, Unless your back in the shade at the state park, You may get some relief with a breeze there.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

HRRR........lol, Day like today won't even be noticeable if you were on the beach or on the water, Unless your back in the shade at the state park, You may get some relief with a breeze there.

If it were truly a dead calm/weak gradient type day, we would get a lake breeze (which means the lake has to be cooler than the land), but much, much weaker than the neighboring sea breeze would be.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

If it were truly a dead calm/weak gradient type day, we would get a lake breeze (which means the lake has to be cooler than the land), but much, much weaker than the neighboring sea breeze would be.

Lake temps are probably running mid 70's right now, I have been down in the lakes region for 50+ yrs, Typically on any given day, You can get that lake affect but its generally from 2 pm on as to when the winds pick up out of the SSW if your at the State park, With the shape of Sebago, Any wind direction will get you a pretty good chop to white caps, Been out there where some days will rival the ocean with some good 3-5 footers.

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Lake temps are probably running mid 70's right now, I have been down in the lakes region for 50+ yrs, Typically on any given day, You can get that lake affect but its generally from 2 pm on as to when the winds pick up out of the SSW if your at the State park, With the shape of Sebago, Any wind direction will get you a pretty good chop to white caps, Been out there where some days will rival the ocean with some good 3-5 footers.

The south end after the first few cold fronts of the year can rock. I would love a buoy system on the lakes, but alas.

When we were getting regular reports from the boats out there, we routinely got 4-5 footers in the early fall when the water is still warm (and air above is much colder).

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The south end after the first few cold fronts of the year can rock. I would love a buoy system on the lakes, but alas.

When we were getting regular reports from the boats out there, we routinely got 4-5 footers in the early fall when the water is still warm (and air above is much colder).

Calm fall cool crisp morning out on the lake in some case with the warmer waters you could use a light house there...........lol

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

As of yesterday, water temps:

5 AUG 82 in N Sebago, and down the south end PWD has 79.3..

One of the scarier fishing excursions I've experienced was an early September trip to sebago south shore. Day started dead calm on the lake. By 10 am or so, winds started out from the northwest and picked suddenly. Probably gusting to 30...waves responded shortly thereafter. Had to bring it in with breakers swamping the launch ramp but made it out with just some bumps and bruises on the bottom the whaler. No fish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, rimetree said:

One of the scarier fishing excursions I've experienced was an early September trip to sebago south shore. Day started dead calm on the lake. By 10 am or so, winds started out from the northwest and picked suddenly. Probably gusting to 30...waves responded shortly thereafter. Had to bring it in with breakers swamping the launch ramp but made it out with just some bumps and bruises on the bottom the whaler. No fish.

Pretty typical cold fropa around these parts. Comes through aloft overnight, doesn't mix down until the sun starts to heat things up the next morning.