joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next 8 days averaging 69degs., or 1deg. BN.

Month to date is   -0.50.   Should be about  -0.80 by the 14th.

That quick clearing after rain on Sat., that led to a nice Sun.-Tues period, looks lethargic again, as it messes up at least Sun.  This is how Monday's runs looked.  Could change again.

Sure enough, the 06Z dives everything south to Delaware early Sunday, just like the CMC and EURO do.   No hang-back.

26 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The New England/SE Canada trough is showing no signs of letting up. June will continue the big temperature departure step from May for us. No 94 degree heat like the first week of May for Newark in the forecast.

972 millibar cyclone east of the Canadian Maritimes #NotTooShabbyForJunepic.twitter.com/Br1iI9WZt3

ecmwf-ens_z500aMean_namer_1.thumb.png.af93694dbb169b47cf1d897c74deae6e.png
ecmwf-ens_z500aMean_namer_6.thumb.png.6ef97dace4e030b2a4760d3e14fb58fe.png

Weeklies show the same thing. No big heat through mid July.

14 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I mind it. I can’t accept a 2009-ish summer, and especially not after such an abysmal spring. I refuse.

I don't think the summer will be as cool as 2000. 2004 and 2009 were...June might end up below average but it wont be as cool as June 2009...

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Don’t mind the cool so much, just planted grAss on a large section of the lawn. 70s and a wet pattern are better than heat 

More of a back and forth between warmer and cooler summers since 2014. I think people got conditioned to the historic run of summer heat from 2010 to 2013. 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

More of a back and forth between warmer and cooler summers since 2014. I think people got conditioned to the historic run of summer heat from 2010 to 2013. 

Yeah your right, almost come to expect something near those levels. I cant stand cool summers just as much as snowless winters. To be our summer season isnt long enough to sacrifice some of it to extended below norm stretches.

4 hours ago, uncle W said:

I don't think the summer will be as cool as 2000. 2004 and 2009 were...June might end up below average but it wont be as cool as June 2009...

2009 featured cutoff low after cutoff low in June-luckily this pattern is a faster and things are moving along-changeable weather but nothing locking in place like 2009

48 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

2009 featured cutoff low after cutoff low in June-luckily this pattern is a faster and things are moving along-changeable weather but nothing locking in place like 2009

That record low June-July -AO may have been a 100 year or greater event. 

IMG_0149.PNG.adebfca2fe8fe7ee27479ee5f08ff6bf.PNG

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

that was a preview of the following winter's big -NAO and -AO.  

Yeah, that -AO kept producing until the big flip after the record in March 2013. Luckily for us, the -EPO went into record mode since then with some well timed -AO intervals.  That June and July was 2nd coldest on record for Newark and 1st wettest. 71.6F and 14.56" will probably never happen in the same June-July period again for a place like Newark.

Next 8 days averaging 70degs., or just Normal.

Month to date is  -1.2.   Should be  -0.50 by the 15th.

Yes, the models have flipped to dry for the next 10 days.  These babies should be made part of 'Sports Betting'.  lol!

15 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I think the GFS/NAM are to far so with the heavier precip. Looks like they have come back north a bit at 06z. 

In any event, it looks like the heaviest rains may focus on the same areas again. 

precip_30d_accum_newjersey_2018060612.thumb.png.3fb62ac3465db1f2cf8998ba08a2660e.png

7 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Yeah. The Euro looks best to me for the weekend. We will see how it works out. 

It just got upgraded a few days ago. Recent runs have been alternating between a Mercer, Middlesex, and Monmouth focus vs closer to Philly and Atlantic City. Either solution seems to match the recent rainfall pattern. Places like CT may not see much as has been the case recently. 

Find out how the latest upgrade of ECMWF's Integrated Forecasting System improves weather predictions and enhances dynamic coupling between the ocean, sea ice and the atmosphere. ecmwf.int/en/about/media…pic.twitter.com/rlcysE9vCi

12 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Imagine that map 3 months ago?

Yeah, New England wouldn't be happy about a winter snowfall pattern like that. Almost resembles a few El Nino winters where the Midatlantic was the place to be. 

Archived