Newest Member
    joxey
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

It seems to me that over the last 20 years or so a lot of the record average warmth is due more to higher minimums than higher maximums. Is that the reality or just my perception?

It depends on the month. But the maxes in May were slightly more impressive than the mins were for NYC. All the days with clouds and measurable rain created the perception of it being a cooler month. The +13 first week really launched us into the top 10.

NYC

May 2018.....max 75.5....norm....70.8...+4.7......min....58.3.....norm.....54.0....+4.3

3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Yeah, the models have been pretty atrocious with trying to nail down any potential rainfall over the next few days IMO.

Maybe I would give LI the edge for the heavier rain potential since it's forecast to be closer to the track. But the interaction with the closed low over the Great Lakes could be the wild card. Models may not settle down until tonight or tomorrow.

Just now, bluewave said:

Maybe I would give LI the edge for the heavier rain potential since it's forecast to be closer to the track. But the interaction with the closed low over the Great Lakes could be the wild card. Models may not settle down until tonight or tomorrow.

Outside of the nor'easter I am not even sure the models have a good handle on any potential rainfall we may see before that. Obviously trying pin down any convection is always a crapshoot.

12 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Outside of the nor'easter I am not even sure the models have a good handle on any potential rainfall we may see before that. Obviously trying pin down any convection is always a crapshoot.

We get the upper trough to start June while the big heat dome sets up over the Rockies and Plains.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

It depends on the month. But the maxes in May were slightly more impressive than the mins were for NYC. All the days with clouds and measurable rain created the perception of it being a cooler month. The +13 first week really launched us into the top 10.

NYC

May 2018.....max 75.5....norm....70.8...+4.7......min....58.3.....norm.....54.0....+4.3

I was thinking more long term rather than just last month. I feel like a lot of winter warm records are because the nights haven't been as cold. I definitely remember reaching, and going below, 0 a lot more often than we do now. Even just reaching single digits and low teens were more common accounting for a couple of degrees difference each month.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I was thinking more long term rather than just last month. I feel like a lot of winter warm records are because the nights haven't been as cold. I definitely remember reaching, and going below, 0 a lot more often than we do now. Even just reaching single digits and low teens were more common accounting for a couple of degrees difference each month.

I ran the numbers for Albany since 1980. The mins have been rising faster than the maxes during the summer. But the winter has seen a even rise. LGA exhibits a similar warming pattern.

ALB...DJF....max....+0.9F/decade.....min.....+0.9.........JJA......max....+0.6.....min....+1.0

LGA...DJF....max...+0.8F/decade.......min....+0.8..........JJA.....max....+0.5.....min....+0.8

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I worked out the numbers for Albany since 1980. The mins have been rising faster than the maxes for the summer. But the winter has seen a even rise. LGA exhibits a similar warming pattern.

ALB...DJF....max....+0.9F/decade.....min.....+0.9.........JJA......max....+0.6.......min+1.0

LGA...DJF...max...+0.8F/decade....min....+0.8..........JJA.....max....0.5.....min....+0.8

probably has to do with rising moisture 

43 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

Yeah, that’s what it looks like. Those dew points during August 2016 were off the charts. Probably the most interesting summer event not related to a storm since the July 2013 WAR.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I ran the numbers for Albany since 1980. The mins have been rising faster than the maxes during the summer. But the winter has seen a even rise. LGA exhibits a similar warming pattern.

ALB...DJF....max....+0.9F/decade.....min.....+0.9.........JJA......max....+0.6.....min....+1.0

LGA...DJF....max...+0.8F/decade.......min....+0.8..........JJA.....max....+0.5.....min....+0.8

So my perception wasn't too far off, that's good to know. 

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

That makes sense. Is there a way to see the RH or DP stats going back for the same time period?

Next 8 days averaging 68degs., a little BN.

For reference, the warmest June is 76.2 (1943), or +4.8.

Oh, in case we go the other way: Coolest June is 64.2 1903(-7.2).  Hey, we can go Top Ten Cool with a mere -3.6.  The EURO Weeklies do not look very warm in June.

Archived