Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

NAM aside, I have liked what I have seen on the runs today. Think we are very much in the game here.

Here? You mean there?  The distance between our yards is like 120 miles.  There yes...here I am not sure.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
12 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:
Didn't really look to hard into it. Just can't get up the energy to care too much about the NAM at range. All to often it is all over the board with the 500's from run to run which makes it a very unreliable model to follow at long leads. 

It has been spot on in my area last several storms tbh. Not sure re: overall pattern but has tended to lead the way irt to trends at range and thermals in the short term. Killing it lately.

Maybe I am doing it a disservice and in fact it has gotten better. I pretty much quit following it at the longer leads years ago. I am intrigued with the 3k though. Think that has done a fairly good job so far this winter. 

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Here? You mean there?  The distance between our yards is like 120 miles.  There yes...here I am not sure.

When I refer to HERE I mean the DC/Balt corridor. And yes the trends are putting them into the game and possibly you as well. We are fighting climo at this point so naturally northern/western areas will have the advantage in what looks to be such a marginal setup. Just can't be helped. 

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

When I refer to HERE I mean the DC/Balt corridor. And yes the trends are putting them into the game and possibly you as well. We are fighting climo at this point so naturally northern/western areas will have the advantage in what looks to be such a marginal setup. Just can't be helped. 

Roger.  18z looks good there as it was in the last 4 runs.  Not so much here.  You’re correct it can’t be helped.  

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Roger.  18z looks good there as it was in the last 4 runs.  Not so much here.  You’re correct it can’t be helped.  

Pretty much a sideways run but the coastal getting going just off of obx is consistent. The primary is too far north to "fill the gap" overhead. It's tantalizingly close though. If the primary was 75-100 miles south it would have been a decent hit. These types of storms traditionally miss us but they work sometimes too. We probably have better chances late season for quicker development. 

We're outside looking in but still have to wait 24-48 hours before writing it off or getting excited. 

5 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

If we miss on Wednesday and then again on March 12, it will be a fail of epic proportions to cap off a winter of epic fails...

Yes.  That is a loaded pattern on GFS.  But we are relying on regular cold.  Need extra cold.  But no reason to fret the surface now.  Pattern is loaded that’s evident. 

Just now, Chris78 said:

Lol. How does this not produce snow? 

gfs_z500_vort_us_37.png

That upper low tracks about 150 miles south of where we want. System out of sync. One piece races ahead. In mid winter it would still have been a moderate snowfall. We need perfect in mid march. Get that h5 over southern VA instead of northeast SC and we would have been good. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That upper low tracks about 150 miles south of where we want. System out of sync. One piece races ahead. In mid winter it would still have been a moderate snowfall. We need perfect in mid march. Get that h5 over southern VA instead of northeast SC and we would have been good. 

Ok gotcha ya

I guess it's good to be to far south at this point.

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

My understanding is that we need a more negative tilt to the trough.  Is that right?  By the time this storm really gets going, it's headed OTS. 

Gotta be some good hits on the GEFS for the 12th. Coastal low signature on the precip maps and looks like it's cold enough.  Atleast on the mean.
gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_36.thumb.png.430eee450125c7ce09eecadcf8c05edf.png
Not feeling the 12th it seems like every Solution on every model is warm

4 minutes ago, Ji said:
7 minutes ago, Chris78 said:
Gotta be some good hits on the GEFS for the 12th. Coastal low signature on the precip maps and looks like it's cold enough.  Atleast on the mean.

Maybe. But it's close.  It Wouldn't take a big adjustment. It we get a good h5 track I would take my chances. It's just a shame we didn't get this pattern 2 or 3 weeks ago.

44 minutes ago, cae said:

My understanding is that we need a more negative tilt to the trough.  Is that right?  By the time this storm really gets going, it's headed OTS. 

Yeah, the trough goes neutral as the closed low passes under us. If we see that going neutral and then neg tilt a little sooner we get a better passage of the closed low.

eta: Thought I would also add it would aid in a quicker capture of the surface low producing a track west of what we are currently seeing.

27 minutes ago, Ji said:
30 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

We need it to be phased and amplified. A disconnected gobbledygook like the 18z op won't do it. Need a good h5 pass. Need the surface and h5 to by synced so there is a healthy ccb and it goes over us. Something that would have been 4-8" during the winter from multiple periods of moderate snow won't work now. We need a stone cold assassin storm that drops .75 qpf in a 6 hour thump.  

That's the bad. The good is this setup has that potential.  It's there. Just need the parts to come together. 

Obviously none of these are the actual final solutions, but CMC is really only good for Baltimore and north and even then those numbers are at 10:1 and probably way too high, and a slight shift north and everyone south of PA would get shut out. Then again, a slight shift south would put is in the goods.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived