Newest Member
    joxey
March 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

We all snowed yesterday, even though the NWS showed all rain. It the next storm is east of us and its a cooler airmass, why would it not snow and stick?

Given the above, why is it a definite that the next storm will be all rain?

We just had a snowstorm 2 weeks ago with a worse airmass.

Upton' s forecast was Rain and Snow with little  accumulation and that's what verified in NYC- the storm 2 Saturdays ago was a direct result of perfect timing - a fresh injection of colder air and  then a system attacking it very soon after.

3 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

GEFS EPS Canadian 

I think yesterdays storm still forecasted to be strolling around the western Atlantic for a few days is going to have some type of influence on how the next system develops and performs - also I don't think the mid week system will be all snow especially at the start

4 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

I think yesterdays storm still forecasted to be strolling around the western Atlantic for a few days is going to have some type of influence on how the next system develops and performs - also I don't think the mid week system will be all snow especially at the start

I should have preferenced that although all the models snow to the coast I am more sure about it snowing  just N and W again 

Hate to be definitive 5 days out , But I do like the track and there should be enough cold air around to make this interesting 

I do like the potential for a bigger widespread day 10/11 system before the pattern fades and baseball is the focus 

58 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

So is the consensus thought for the coastal tri state area a rain event for the next system? Any more chances or spring time?

Historically the coldest and snowiest weather in March occurs after the AO reaches its peak negative value. 

The chance of more snow will be much higher than normal for the next 10 days. 

27 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

I should have preferenced that although all the models snow to the coast I am more sure about it snowing  just N and W again 

Hate to be definitive 5 days out , But I do like the track and there should be enough cold air around to make this interesting 

I do like the potential for a bigger widespread day 10/11 system before the pattern fades and baseball is the focus 

Based on your calls from this winter this makes me nervous(your accuracy has been impressive).  I like the fact that there is an end to this winter in sight.  

I am aggressively rooting for you to be wrong-no disrespect.  Actually tons of respect 

11 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

At the very least it will be stormy regardless if we get rain or snow. At some point I would think flooding would become more of a concern if we keep getting these high precipitation events as we officially head into spring.

Islip just set the record for the wettest 2/1-3/2. Essentially a regular month period since February is only 28 days.

#1...9.56"...2018

#2...6.62"...2008

#3...6.21"...1971

#4...5.91"...2013

#5...5.90"...1979

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

Upton' s forecast was Rain and Snow with little  accumulation and that's what verified in NYC- the storm 2 Saturdays ago was a direct result of perfect timing - a fresh injection of colder air and  then a system attacking it very soon after.

I think we are probably done for our area; look at yesterday, it just seems we are not in the prime spot this year even with a big system like Jan 4. If there is any threat of rain with this system i don't think we will have much to worry about ( in terms of snow ) but man I hate these cold rains. No one likes that kind of weather. Well, I suppose some people do. Some people like raw chili peppers too. As always, I remind all that my opinions are just that, are not based on any kind of science, which I do not understand ( full disclosure ) and should not be taken as anything more than the musings of a middle aged guy who has seen a lot of winters. And who can't wait for fishing season.

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

Agreed for NYC. However for my locatio in coastal CT it was for pure rain.

39 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Based on your calls from this winter this makes me nervous(your accuracy has been impressive).  I like the fact that there is an end to this winter in sight.  

I am aggressively rooting for you to be wrong-no disrespect.  Actually tons of respect 

You have 2 shots a 2 very big systems 

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

So is the consensus thought for the coastal tri state area a rain event for the next system? Any more chances or spring time?

My early thinking is that the secondary will develop and rapidly take over. This time, a mainly snow event appears more likely for areas that largely missed out yesterday.

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

My early thinking is that the secondary will develop and rapidly take over. This time, a mainly snow event appears more likely for areas that largely missed out yesterday.

Don, to build off what you said, 12Z GFS and ICON are very snowy with nice tracks. GGEM is much warmer and would imply more rain.

The Wednesday Miller B threat is definitely legit. It’s going to snow. Just a few things to keep in mind, it’s March, it’s all during the day, the airmass is marginally cold, cold enough to snow for sure but marginal. We don’t have an arctic airmass in place like last March, that’s continental polar. 10:1 ratios may be too high, sun angle and longer days March 7th is an issue, we will need heavy rates to really accumulate given it being a daytime storm, it will be a wet snow. What the snowmaps show, is probably not what is actually going to fall given the factors I mentioned, most likely they will have to be trimmed; it’s not going to be S+ the entire time

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The storm from yesterday lingering just to the east may be the wild card with this. It may force more of a hugger rather than a true benchmark track. We probably won't know how much further west this can come for another day or two.

I think we can get away with a close to the coast track as long as it's not inland due to lower SSTs than in Dec/Jan. 

I'm liking this threat though, I think it threads the needle just enough for us to get some snow.

Archived