Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

FWIW Bernie Rayno is still very bearish. For good reason too. Still doesn't believe if everything goes right that the storm will give DC a WSW event. 

Odds of DC getting a WSW snow are pretty low IMO, doubly so because it’s DC. Odds of WSW snow for everyone else is going up. CWG gave 30% odds of a major snowstorm, which is reasonable at this point.

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I was going to say we got NAM'd, but that is actually on par with the Euro.  Even safer with the R/S line though.

Yup, it’s like a colder euro. 

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

FWIW Bernie Rayno is still very bearish. For good reason too. Still doesn't believe if everything goes right that the storm will give DC a WSW event. 

I'm good with this.  The models have struggled with the progressive pattern in the medium and long range.  They have been pretty good about nailing down a solution in the 7248-72 hour range.  The models are in pretty good agreement that an event is going to happen.  Specifics for anyone's backyard are almost always going to be fleshed out by the Meso's as we get closer to the short range.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Odds of DC getting a WSW snow are pretty low IMO, doubly so because it’s DC. Odds of WSW snow for everyone else is going up. CWG gave 30% odds of a major snowstorm, which is reasonable at this point.

Yup, it’s like a colder euro. 

30% for moderate, not major

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The TT plots are fun and convenient but in marginal situations like this we were better off back in the day when you had to take the individual plots and look at all the layers and figure out for yourself what the precip type was.  Too many people now are just relying on that flawed algorythm on TT. 

Anytime there's borderline temps it's best to use snowfall maps that account for ratios.  The Kuchera ratio maps on pivotalweather are probably going to be more realistic than the 10:1 TT maps for this system.  Pivotal also has a nice feature that shows you a map of the max column temp if you want to get a sense of midlevel temps without clicking on a buch of soundings.

Thanks for the coverage. Just tuned back in and caught up with the euro. Good analysis and great run. Nice convergence today towards a winning scenario. Getting close to writing off an all rain event for 95 and west. Amazing what a neg ao and transient 50/50 can do. Storms like this feel super rare but over time they aren't. Classic moderate event with nothing unusually complicated. 

GEPS control drops more than 20 mm of qpf as snow on most of Maryland.  The totals on most of the rest of the members look more like the op.  There is still good spread among the members.  Some tracks to the south, and some to the north, but only 3 of 21 that don't give me at least 1" of snow. 

I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but some might not.  You can flip through the EPS members for free on weather.us.  Click on "Most recent forecast" under "Model run" and "Snow depth (in)" under "Select Parameter".  You can then go through all of the members by cycling through the "Members" drop box.  (You can use up and down arrows if you have a keyboard.)  Here's the 12z control run.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/virginia/m0_snow-depth-in/20180218-0600z.html

One caveat is that I'm not sure what "snow depth" really means.  For some models it appears to account for ice on the ground as well.  (If anyone knows for sure what this field means, please let us know!)  "Accumulated total precipitation" is also available for the ensemble members.

3 minutes ago, cae said:

I'm sure a lot of you know this already, but some might not.  You can flip through the EPS members for free on weather.us.  Click on "Most recent forecast" under "Model run" and "Snow depth (in)" under "Select Parameter".  You can then go through all of the members by cycling through the "Members" drop box.  (You can use up and down arrows if you have a keyboard.)  Here's the 12z control run.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/virginia/m0_snow-depth-in/20180218-0600z.html

The one caveat is that I'm not sure what "snow depth" really means.  For some models it appears to account for ice on the ground as well.  (If anyone knows for sure what this field means, please let us know!)

Just based on comparing the charts posted earlier, it must be snowfall imo.  Thanks for the link!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived