Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
North Balti Zen

13 hours ago, mattie g said:

:lol:

A record for the first 156 days of the year?

That's like some random baseball statistic about how well a left-handed pitcher throws against righties in the second game of a three-game series with two outs in the seventh inning and a man on first base.

:rolleyes:

Agreed though that they could have just said the first 5 months. 156 is because months aren't uniformly 30 or 31 days...

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Agreed, but that's just a dumb stat. No?

At this time of year, the average precip at BWI is 0.14", so I'm sure Tom T was just waiting for the day where we finally fell behind.  If he phrased the Tweet as simply year-to-date instead of a particular number of days, it wouldn't have seemed as arbitrary.

4 hours ago, Its a Breeze said:

:rolleyes:

Agreed though that they could have just said the first 5 months. 156 is because months aren't uniformly 30 or 31 days...

I'm going to keep fighting this fight. :lol:

He said 1/1 to 6/5, so it wasn't really a "first five months" thing.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

At this time of year, the average precip at BWI is 0.14", so I'm sure Tom T was just waiting for the day where we finally fell behind.  If he phrased the Tweet as simply year-to-date instead of a particular number of days, it wouldn't have seemed as arbitrary.

Completely agreed!

21 hours ago, mattie g said:

I'm going to keep fighting this fight. :lol:

He said 1/1 to 6/5, so it wasn't really a "first five months" thing.

Sure it is! If all months (Jan through May) had 31 days, that would be 155 days.

He had his tweet in drafts and forgot to post it on the 1st. So he posted it on the 5th adding those extra days but taking out the holidays.

Or something like that :D

• Haha 1

Based on ensembles and op runs, seems like we at least get back toward normal June precip rates starting with the Monday-Tuesday storm next week. Not really filling the deficit, but hopefully stops the deficit from growing.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Yup map is pretty dam accurate,  fits perfect with lack of rainfall here in Waynesboro - eastern Augusta... only 2 real rainfalls since March, the end of April event and the end of May event... a few hundredths here and there and a couple events around .10

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Severe drought now in central MD but hopefully not for long!

The effective date on that map is June 20 at 8 am. The severe drought area probably has not changed significantly but my area is certainly no longer in moderate drought.  It will be interesting to see how much improvement has occurred when it updates next Thursday morning.

6 hours ago, stormy said:

The effective date on that map is June 20 at 8 am. The severe drought area probably has not changed significantly but my area is certainly no longer in moderate drought.  It will be interesting to see how much improvement has occurred when it updates next Thursday morning.

For what it's worth, we are in the Fairfax County part of the severe drought area indicated on the map and we have gotten ~2 inches of rain this week.  I assume that would make a dent.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:13 AM, WxUSAF said:

Severe drought now in central MD but hopefully not for long!

It'll be interesting to see the update map on Thursday.  I was already in the severe drought area and my spot missed out on almost ALL of the rain, including last Friday, yesterday and today.  I'm thinking my micro-desert might be getting close to extreme drought soon, since we have no chances of rain any time in the near future

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, stormy said:

All areas out here will be very soon.  I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.  This is the worst I've seen.  After this next brutal hot, dry stretch coming up this entire valley will be a dust bowl.

Drought is returning quickly for most areas unless we receive widespread significant rain soon. The water table has dropped 4 ft. in 30 days at a USGS test well in northern Augusta.  My spring fed stream level has dropped out surprisingly fast in the past two weeks.   After 5.39" rain in July my lawn has went dormant  August 20.

• Like 1

Another county applies for drought disaster declaration in the valley...................................................   https://www.whsv.com/2023/08/23/shenandoah-county-applies-disaster-relief-due-drought-conditions/

When the drought monitor updates tomorrow morning, the moderate drought area will expand.   Valley farmers have lost millions of dollars in the corn crop. Soybeans are next.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Another county applies for drought disaster declaration in the valley...................................................   https://www.whsv.com/2023/08/23/shenandoah-county-applies-disaster-relief-due-drought-conditions/

When the drought monitor updates tomorrow morning, the moderate drought area will expand.   Valley farmers have lost millions of dollars in the corn crop. Soybeans are next.   

Drove through this weekend; Strasburg and Middletown in Southern frederick County is somehow even browner than here.  It looks really bad.

Drove through this weekend; Strasburg and Middletown in Southern frederick County is somehow even browner than here.  It looks really bad.

The drought up here is legit with brown and spotty grass. Almost seems like we’re in a summer version of a strong La Nina pattern with a notable absence of storm systems coming up from the south. Just got a light shower that didn’t even fully wet the pavement. That’s just not gonna cut it.