Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
North Balti Zen

drought
drout/
noun

1. a prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall; a shortage of water resulting from this.
    synonyms: dry spell, lack of rain, shortage of water
    "this year's drought was devastating to cotton growers"
    • a prolonged absence of something specified.
      "he ended a five-game hitting drought"
    • archaic
      thirst.

Hagerstown finished 2017 over 6" below normal for precip for the year.  That was after 12" below normal in 2016.  Ever since the blizzard in January 2016 we haven't only been lacking in WSW events.  In general, we have been lacking in consistent precip.  Really hoping we can break the cycle early in 2018.  Otherwise, issues are going to present this spring and summer.

• Like 1

I am glad you started this thread; we are and have been in a serious drought - the last events might start alleviating things because drought begets drought and rain begets rain/moisture and, we hope, snow.

It is a moderate drought - severe in some sections of Virginia:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?Southeast 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Wait... if our events are busting because we are in a drought, and hence it can’t rain/snow in a drought, are we literally going to be stuck in a drought forever? Has someone done the math?! Cancel the next 50 winters until global warming moves the ocean close enough to help us out.

The law of averages will win out eventually.  We just might have to wait until spring.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Wait... if our events are busting because we are in a drought, and hence it can’t rain/snow in a drought, are we literally going to be stuck in a drought forever? Has someone done the math?! Cancel the next 50 winters until global warming moves the ocean close enough to help us out.

We obviously need to create a heated late in replacement of the Appalachian mountains. Sure, we'd lose CAD, but I'm pretty sure we'd be fine

10 minutes ago, Qaanaaq said:

I am glad you started this thread; we are and have been in a serious drought - the last events might start alleviating things because drought begets drought and rain begets rain/moisture and, we hope, snow.

It is a moderate drought - severe in some sections of Virginia:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?Southeast 

Where do you see severe?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Crap you just unraveled this whole thing 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stormy said:

A thread on this board is not important. This board is only reactive to populist belief.

LOL I shouldn't have to start a thread, it should be obvious to intelligent folks like yourself, But, it is not. Your seem to be a false prophet.  Please prove me wrong with the real time statistics from the USDM  that show us approaching a serious drought. Can you really believe that less than 50% of normal precip. in 90 days is not significant?? If you do, you are not to be taken seriously.

This situation can be reversed next week, but today, it is what it is.

Oh look a thread where we can talk about drought. Crazy. I think your taking something fairly mundane and blowing it way out of proportion. We're in a drought. We have had many like this in my lifetime and we will have many more. We also have floods. Weather goes through these cycles. It will rain/snow and balance out eventually. We're not to the point where things are dire yet.  That's the take of this false prophet of populist belief. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cobalt said:
drought
drout/
noun

1. a prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall; a shortage of water resulting from this.
    synonyms: dry spell, lack of rain, shortage of water
    "this year's drought was devastating to cotton growers"
    • a prolonged absence of something specified.
      "he ended a five-game hitting drought"
    • archaic
      thirst.

Cobalt! I was beginning to worry about you!  You are struggling but piped in.

A prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall?? 45% of normal rainfall last 4 months. 6.17 compared to 13.81". You should be smart enough to recognize a serious problem for northern Virginia if this continues and recognize a connection to the disappointment of this winters snowfall threats. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Oh look a thread where we can talk about drought. Crazy. I think your taking something fairly mundane and blowing it way out of proportion. We're in a drought. We have had many like this in my lifetime and we will have many more. We also have floods. Weather goes through these cycles. It will rain/snow and balance out eventually. We're not to the point where things are dire yet.  That's the take of this false prophet of populist belief. 

It is not mundane to those it affects directly : if you live in a rural area reliant on groundwater, or you are a farmer, or your reservoir has stopped overflowing