• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
North Balti Zen

Severe Drought now exists from Staunton to Winchester. Tens of millions of dollars are being lost in agricultural production.

My stream stopped flowing today for the first time in 21 years.

The weekend offers paltry rainfall compared to what is needed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Drought warning issued for Augusta County , was wondering when that was coming.... Most places picked up at least a inch over the past 5 days- But outside of a few spots that are lucky with tstorms - widespread  rain has been nonexistent since the end of June.. Now another prolonged period of dry weather coming up...

35 minutes ago, stormy said:

The Shenandoah Valley is the center of severe drought from Staunton to Winchester.

The latest GFS/GEM predicts that the coming weekend could offer inferior relief.

Maybe 1 inch when we need 6 inches............

Well, the odds we get a 6" storm out here is probably once in a lifetime.  The only time it's happened in my lifetime was Sandy.  We're gonna have to chip away at that deficit.   If we get 1" this weekend I'll be thrilled.

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Well, the odds we get a 6" storm out here is probably once in a lifetime.  The only time it's happened in my lifetime was Sandy.  We're gonna have to chip away at that deficit.   If we get 1" this weekend I'll be thrilled.

You and I both! It has been 2 months since I received 1 inch from one system.

I received  7.39" from Fran on Sept. 6, 1996.  Big Meadows up on the Skyline Drive received 15.61 inches in 24 hours.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, stormy said:

I received  7.39" from Fran on Sept. 6, 1996.  Big Meadows up on the Skyline Drive received 15.61 inches in 24 hours.

Wow, I'd forgot about Fran.  I don't remember what I got from that one in Front Royal.  There was major flooding on the Shenandoah.   Remember the DC area news trucks reporting at the 522N turnoff at the North Fork Bridge.

Where are you located?

15 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Wow, I'd forgot about Fran.  I don't remember what I got from that one in Front Royal.  There was major flooding on the Shenandoah.   Remember the DC area news trucks reporting at the 522N turnoff at the North Fork Bridge.

Where are you located?

I'm down in Augusta County near Staunton/Waynesboro.

On 9/19/2023 at 7:48 PM, stormy said:

That's about what I picked up in western Albemarle from Fran, received more from Fran than Isabel 7 years later... although I think there was a 20 inch total somewhere near Montebello Blue Ridge Parkway during Isabel ...

3 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

That's about what I picked up in western Albemarle from Fran, received more from Fran than Isabel 7 years later... although I think there was a 20 inch total somewhere near Montebello Blue Ridge Parkway during Isabel ...

I received 5.65" from Isabel on Sept. 18, 2003.  Upper Sherando Lake received 20.2"!!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, stormy said:

Severe drought expanded in the Valley last Thursday:

image.thumb.png.6b2195a201ec7e822356b2a5f6f42b04.png

image.png

Grass may be greener , thanks to last weekends tropical moisture... But it's clear this area is in a serious drought.. Without knowing the 6 month or calender year precip totals a visitor to the area would quickly realize the drought by just looking at the stream levels... I have only measured 22.8 for the year....  The ground water level has to be extremely low...

On 10/2/2023 at 7:05 PM, Jrlg1181 said:

Grass may be greener , thanks to last weekends tropical moisture... But it's clear this area is in a serious drought.. Without knowing the 6 month or calender year precip totals a visitor to the area would quickly realize the drought by just looking at the stream levels... I have only measured 22.8 for the year....  The ground water level has to be extremely low...

I have received 26.40"  for the year to date.  The water table at the USGS test well at McGahaysville, 20 miles north of Waynesboro has dropped 16 feet since April.  Increasing numbers of wells are failing.

• 3 weeks later...

23.28 total for the year in my backyard - really does seem like western Kansas type of totals....

14.53 of that fell in 7 events which means about 62% of my yearly precip fell in about roughly 20 days with the late June cutoff low accounting for a full week of that.... 

Truly a spectacular year for drought here... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are in the first week of November in a moderate to strong  El Nino and the Severe Drought for the I-81 corridor continues to worsen.  I have been dry since the end of July.

August gave me 1.12 compared to a normal of 3.63, September gave 3.59" compared to a normal of 4.43", October gave .53" compared to a normal of 3.25".   

Historical comparisons to other El Nino's of this value gives me reason for great concern. Most other El Nino's gave a wet November.    1997 6.46",  2009  6.75"............................ 

The next 15 days look dry.......................... WE are running out of time for this El Nino to kick in...........

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Here we are in the first week of November in a moderate to strong  El Nino and the Severe Drought for the I-81 corridor continues to worsen.  I have been dry since the end of July.

August gave me 1.12 compared to a normal of 3.63, September gave 3.59" compared to a normal of 4.43", October gave .53" compared to a normal of 3.25".   

Historical comparisons to other El Nino's of this value gives me reason for great concern. Most other El Nino's gave a wet November.    1997 6.46",  2009  6.75"............................ 

The next 15 days look dry.......................... WE are running out of time for this El Nino to kick in...........

It could be a Nino like 1982-83.  Precip was light through the fall and much of the winter.  At DCA:

Sep 1.71”

Oct 1.75”

Nov 2.96”

Dec 1.94”

Then January ‘83 had 1.74”

We all know what happened in mid-February.

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

It could be a Nino like 1982-83.  Precip was light through the fall and much of the winter.  At DCA:

Sep 1.71”

Oct 1.75”

Nov 2.96”

Dec 1.94”

I hope your wrong, but who knows.

24 inches of snow is only 2.5 inches of QP. We need much more than that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stormy said:

I hope your wrong, but who knows.

24 inches of snow is only 2.5 inches of QP. We need much more than that.

Of course 24 " of snow was only the beginning, March gave 5.40 precip. and April gave 7.57"!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Sep 1.71”

Oct 1.75”

Nov 2.96”

Dec 1.94”

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! 

I will research precipitation patterns for the entire winter into the following spring of all other El Nino's since 1980, November - April.

2 more town wells have gone dry here in Round Hill prompting this:

NOTICE: On November 1, 2023 the Mayor & Town Council of Round Hill declared Mandatory Water Conservation Phase One effective November 2, 2023.

Round Hill is currently under a Severe Drought. All customers of the Town's water system are requested to conserve wherever and whenever possible in their normal consumption of water. It shall be unlawful for any person to use water from the Town's water system for the purpose of watering lawns and gardens, washing cars, filling swimming pools, and like activities. Any person or customer found conducting any of these prohibited uses shall be subject to a fine not to exceed five hundred ($500) dollars for each violation.

Please refrain from such activities as the following:

•No washing or using water hoses on paved areas, buildings, windows, or hard-surfaced areas,

•No operating ornamental fountains,

•No washing or rinsing vehicles by hose,

•No new landscaping established (unless you use rain barrels to water)

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

2 more town wells have gone dry here in Round Hill prompting this:

NOTICE: On November 1, 2023 the Mayor & Town Council of Round Hill declared Mandatory Water Conservation Phase One effective November 2, 2023.

Round Hill is currently under a Severe Drought. All customers of the Town's water system are requested to conserve wherever and whenever possible in their normal consumption of water. It shall be unlawful for any person to use water from the Town's water system for the purpose of watering lawns and gardens, washing cars, filling swimming pools, and like activities. Any person or customer found conducting any of these prohibited uses shall be subject to a fine not to exceed five hundred ($500) dollars for each violation.

Please refrain from such activities as the following:

•No washing or using water hoses on paved areas, buildings, windows, or hard-surfaced areas,

•No operating ornamental fountains,

•No washing or rinsing vehicles by hose,

•No new landscaping established (unless you use rain barrels to water)

Cleanly the driest year in well over a decade in Loudoun Co.  2018 and this year are the two outliers.

(cocorahs data)

43716817_year-over-year-accumulat(1).thumb.jpeg.12d71266eda51a2a87945efa032d6ef7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:40 AM, MN Transplant said:

Cleanly the driest year in well over a decade in Loudoun Co.  2018 and this year are the two outliers.

(cocorahs data)

43716817_year-over-year-accumulat(1).thumb.jpeg.12d71266eda51a2a87945efa032d6ef7.jpeg

That's a pretty cool data summary - where can I find that, if I may ask?

I'm in LoCo, and indeed it's been super-dry, again, for the past month+.   Thought we were going to get some relief about a month ago, but back to drought, with no significant rain in the 10-day.   Not a good fall to try to plant some grass.  Oh well.

3 hours ago, WolfStock1 said:

That's a pretty cool data summary - where can I find that, if I may ask?

I'm in LoCo, and indeed it's been super-dry, again, for the past month+.   Thought we were going to get some relief about a month ago, but back to drought, with no significant rain in the 10-day.   Not a good fall to try to plant some grass.  Oh well.

There are a few different ways to get at it from the CoCoRaHS site.  One is here:  https://dex.cocorahs.org

You may need to try a few before getting one that has a long timeframe.  Generally the sites with lower numbers after the county code.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

There are a few different ways to get at it from the CoCoRaHS site.  One is here:  https://dex.cocorahs.org

You may need to try a few before getting one that has a long timeframe.  Generally the sites with lower numbers after the county code.

That's a cool page that I hadn't seen or used before.  Thanks!