joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What about all the ones that haven’t? Like last weeks 

Last week's storm had a weak IVT, sure...but the upper level mechanics were weak too...the trough wasn't like this. Plus, that wasn't a pure IVT either, there was a little ML fronto assist going on there (albeit weak).

It's def possible we get an IVT, we do get them. Prob a couple per winter...they usually are minor events. Once in a while we will get a bigger. But at this range, they are very unreliable on guidance and it is true that it is often the model struggling to resolve the better upper level dynamics with the displaced low-level baroclinic zone. Often, the baroclinic zone ends up shifting closer to the upper level dynamics as verification gets closer.

If we are still seeing big IVT outputs within 48 hours, then I'd def take them more seriously.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

There isn't a doubt in my mind that the EPO is going to be immense....you don't get a block like that early season, and not have it redevelop later after the lull.

My secret fetish is a nice rain to heavy snow event. Something awesome about the landscape going from brown, to white, and then snow blowing around. It's mesmerizing.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My secret fetish is a nice rain to heavy snow event. Something awesome about the landscape going from brown, to white, and then snow blowing around. It's mesmerizing.

With a flash freeze...March 2005 is still the best for that.

We had some good R to S events in the 1990s too....but they have been tougher to come by recently for whatever reason. Jan 2006 had a solid one...total snow was only about 3-4" but good flash freeze with it.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had some good R to S events in the 1990s too....but they have been tougher to come by recently for whatever reason. Jan 2006 had a solid one...total snow was only about 3-4" but good flash freeze with it.

Walking up Corey Hill at the height in March 2005 had me concerned about my life.  That was epic!

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even that event back in Jan '14 that gave you and Ray like 6" and flashed over my house to paste with baseballs raining down. That was awesome. Quick 2" there. Nothing for Tolland though.

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its because its difficult to not have the atmosphere dry out during the cold advection...its usually BS when the models try to do it......fraud 5 member.

Its  additional waves along a slowed front, anafrontal eh not so much, sure its after the front but its waves traveling along the front

index.png

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS aren't bad either. I will say, that low off of SC is in a climo dangerous spot for tricks.

Yeah its the classic "Wide right turn, left hook" track spot...starts turning what looks to be a wide right track, and then you get the left hook back north and it will nail New England with the longitude sticking out to the east.

The ensembles have been hitting this event harder which says we should def keep an eye.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS aren't bad either. I will say, that low off of SC is in a climo dangerous spot for tricks.

Just using your post as a sounding board... 

the GFS is completely guided by convective feedback in it's llv reflection re the system early next week.  Look at the vorticity panels...may as well be a TC ... It really almost avoids using the westerlies to spin up a low altogether ... as a result, ends up with a paltry NORLUN pivoting away as an afterthought.  interesting.. 

Archived