joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm Summary  Bridgewater NH  (just south of Plymouth)

Snow started around daybreak with temperatures in the mid teens.  Very fine snow with poor snow growth.  As the morning wore on snow slowly increased in intensity with fair snow growth.  Temperatures slowly rose into the mid to high teens.  There was very little wind for much of the day and by late morning we were having moderate snow with vis. from 1/4 to 3/4 miles.  By mid-afternoon the heavy bands that were slowly pivoting towards us made it up here. From 2pm to 5pm we had our heaviest snow with over 1" per hour amounts.   During the late afternoon we started getting some wind, in the 15-25mph range.  As it became dark the snow let up. Around 6pm the wind came in suddenly.  Major blowing and drifting occurred.  Our peak wind was 37mph but I'm well protected from north winds so I'm sure areas around had higher gusts.  Dendrite (Brian) 25 miles to my SSE had a couple gusts in the 40's I think.  During the evening the snow began again with good snow growth and although radar didn't show much we had light to moderate snow with lots of blowing and drifting.  I had measured 9" when it first shut off and I am guessing we added a couple of inches during the evening.  

This morning we have had continuous light snow, vis a couple of miles.  Temps slowly fell last night back into the single numbers.

The oddest thing to me with this "Bomb Cyclone"  was lack of wind during the storm.  Only after it moved north of my latitude did the strong winds come roaring in.

22 minutes ago, Greg said:

Want to laugh...  Boston PNS Snowfall report has a 32.4" amount for Haverill, MA and Holliston.  Stick slanting? Drift? Wipping the board every hour?  No, it may be an error in which it they may really have meant 12.4", that makes more sense.  I think that's what they meant.:wacko:

I am guessing an error inputting,   I just asked them via twitter

Drifts are the craziest thing about this storm to me. 3-4 feet high. Snow banks on side of roads are almost taller than me. Depth is about 18-20" of snow because all of our 37" of snow this season came in 25 days with the cold to keep it from melting.

I've literally never seen this much snow in my life. This is what I signed up for, folks.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That person who used to file fake amounts is ignored from what I hear

Well I'd prob start ignoring reports too if they always came in higher than surrounding areas.

The ORH local jackpot is real though...there was a lot of snow up on winter hill. They did get into some pretty good bands.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well I'd prob start ignoring reports too if they always came in higher than surrounding areas.

The ORH local jackpot is real though...there was a lot of snow up on winter hill. They did get into some pretty good bands.

Yeah. The airport and a Co-Op I think had pretty close to identical numbers.  They were in those bands for a while

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Also, a standing ovation once again goes to Pete B by brushing it off and saying just a couple of inches.  When he brushes it off, lock it in.

The news operation of the new Boston nbc affiliate has been struggling to build an audience. Channel 7 despite losing network status continues to do well....Eric Fisher also brushed off this threat days in advance. Sad!

Archived