joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM may be into something, but it has to be dismissed as a weenie run until others back it up. I wouldn’t dramatically increase snow totals unless the 12z suite follows suit or we see the low form in the way the NAM has it. It would be a massive fail for every other model and this close in its highly unlikely. Doesn’t mean a smaller west trend at this stage is that unlikely though. 

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Everything is still on the table...but I certainly would not risk taking the NAM verbatim. We've seen this play out before.

I seem to remember the big 2/6/10 storm that stopped short of us wound up throwing huge amounts back to Pittsburgh which I don't remember being in the mix originally....but I could be"misremembering"

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

NAM may be into something, but it has to be dismissed as a weenie run until others back it up. I wouldn’t dramatically increase snow totals unless the 12z suite follows suit or we see the low form in the way the NAM has it. It would be a massive fail for every other model and this close in its highly unlikely. Doesn’t mean a smaller west trend at this stage is that unlikely though. 

Still seems like we are bound to get a plowable event in the cities just west of NYC, that' s all I'm thinking right now. We've been on the fringe the whole time ( though not that far on the fringe ) so not expecting 1-2 feet, but 3-6 is realistic don't you think?

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Still seems like we are bound to get a plowable event in the cities just west of NYC, that' s all I'm thinking right now. We've been on the fringe the whole time ( though not that far on the fringe ) so not expecting 1-2 feet, but 3-6 is realistic don't you think?

3-6 range has been my guess for NYC up to now with 10 on eastern LI. But there'll definitely be attention paid to the 12z suite, if they do go in the NAM's direction, it'll be higher obviously. The NAM could be starting a last minute trend, or it could just be an overdone weenie run like it somehow has. The 6z RGEM isn't anywhere near as impressive although it may have went west a little. The GFS 6z looks similar to the RGEM.

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

RGEM was a sizable shift to heavy precip on the western end like Nam...

This to me looks like 0.5" liquid gets about to MBY and 0.25" gets to 10 miles or so west of I-95.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=neus&pkg=apcpn&runtime=2018010306&fh=54&xpos=0&ypos=48

Just now, jm1220 said:

This to me looks like 0.5" liquid gets about to MBY and 0.25" gets to 10 miles or so west of I-95.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=neus&pkg=apcpn&runtime=2018010306&fh=54&xpos=0&ypos=48

RGEM 0.3 for NYC and agrees with GFS 2 to 4 looks good for NYC 2 for the park and 4 for Queens.

42 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Everything is still on the table...but I certainly would not risk taking the NAM verbatim. We've seen this play out before.

The NAM is a huge outlier right now. How many times have we seen the NAM have these off the wall runs just before a storm then back way down to reality? Watch the 12z run flip. I think the 0z Euro/EPS is the closest to reality tomorrow here. The Euro is not going to be that far off this close in

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The NAM is a huge outlier right now. How many times have we seen the NAM have these off the wall runs just before a storm then back way down to reality? Watch the 12z run flip. I think the 0z Euro/EPS is the closest to reality tomorrow here. The Euro is not going to be that far off this close in

Euro was trash with Xmas storm for interior...Albany saw 9.8’’ euro didn’t even have a band within 30 miles of them day of....I’d agree nothing’s set in stone..people were saying fish storm 2 days ago...

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

FWIW, this is bad logic.  The Euro’s coarser resolution does tend to expose it to errors with big EC bombs within short time frames, and meso and regional models, with higher resolutions, are the exact kinds of models that might pick up on that.  That doesn’t mean the Euro is off in this instance, just that it’s a coarsely-gridded global and this scenario is NOT where it is ‘the king’.

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I think a weighted blend of all models is the best approach. That being said I think the NWS 3 to 6 inch call falls in this blend and is a good call at this point. 

One note. I have seen many storms over the years which put the deform. Band 25 to 50 miles west of the model depiction. This Will not be known till the storm is happening obviously. Take last March. EURO had the band further se and it ended up way up north by Syracuse. 

6 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

FWIW, this is bad logic.  The Euro’s coarser resolution does tend to expose it to errors with big EC bombs within short time frames, and meso and regional models, with higher resolutions, are the exact kinds of models that might pick up on that.  That doesn’t mean the Euro is off in this instance, just that it’s a coarsely-gridded global and this scenario is NOT where it is ‘the king’.

The operational Euro uses 4DVAR, its resolution is very good for a global model. In fact, we have seen it school mesoscale models on a couple of occasions in the past. It’s extremely unlikely that the Euro is way off this close to the event. It’s had the same solution for tomorrow for several runs now 

Archived