• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

The first relevant run for snowfall specifics and exact track may not come until 12z Wednesday. Even with the 12z runs tomorrow, we have seen how much 24 hr snowfall forecast have been off with major systems in recent years.
This has been a concern of mine from the beginning.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
13 minutes ago, bluewave said:
The first relevant run for snowfall specifics and exact track may not come until 12z Wednesday. Even with the 12z runs tomorrow, we have seen how much 24 hr snowfall forecast have been off with major systems in recent years.

you can say that again

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

And this system has more moving parts than we typically see.

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

18z NAM has 50+ mph wind gusts the entire length of LI from late morning into the afternoon on Thursday...approaching 80 mph at MTP!

I don't care if it's sunny and 70 in NJ, calling this run a whiff or a miss is psychotic.

Major differences this storm between the Eastern and Western halves of the sub forum. 

With this setup though, the storm could be tucked well inside the benchmark and most of Long Island would still be all snow.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The other thing to consider with the strong winds is the ice build up on the large LI bays. There could be quite a bit of dock damage with the ice getting all blown in the same direction.

You absolutely read my mind. The ice is pretty incredible now. On par with feb 15 in the great South Bay. 50mph northerly gusts are going to cause major ice damage to docks and piers on the north side of fire island. This is not something we have had to deal with ever as far as I know. Also any snow that falls on the ice will blow across the bay and burry the same areas. Similar to what buffalo saw during their epic storm in 77. More drifting off ice then actual falling snow

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Major differences this storm between the Eastern and Western halves of the sub forum. 

With this setup though, the storm could be tucked well inside the benchmark and most of Long Island would still be all snow.

That is precisely why I called out that the high winds forecasted apply to LI, rather than a blanket statement that the storm is a miss or a hit.

I'm not committing on snowfall totals.  Right, wrong, or indifferent the models are not done swinging around and I am quite certain that I lack the synoptic smarts to go toe to toe with a modern computer model.

5 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Central park had 9.8 inches :weenie:

They were saved late by the incoming upper trof from the west if I remember right.  Up until 8-9pm it looked like a major bust and that saved it to at least be a significant event.  A few systems have had lows pass fairly far out east and we get saved a bit from the upper trof or low from the west with expansion or further development of the snow shield despite being too far south and west to be aided by the phase or capture of the main low 

6 minutes ago, tomcatct said:

Can't remember any other 2-3ft forecast before a storm..was one big one in late 90's i think that was in march or april that completely missed as well..

March 2001

BTW...this is nothing like 2015. 

Archived