Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bobbydoppler said:

KOWD, looks like we're in the same boat.  I'm a newbie here and my knowledge level is enthusiast at best, so please excuse my ignorance...but does Blue Hills area have any influence on weather/precip for our location, or is it too small?  

I'm in Randolph at 220' just south of the Blue Hills.  When we moved here in 2009, a neighbor told us that the Blue Hills had a negative effect on snowfall.  Certainly hasn't been the case since then!  We've had at least 4 storms over 2 feet (just off the top of my head), with at least one over 30 inches.  Maybe we've just been lucky!

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The Storm That Drowned Bangor.   Coastal Hancock County (Stonington, IIRC) recorded a southerly gust of 115 mph in that one.  All that southerly wind blew so much water up the Penobscot estuary that downtown BGR saw the level rise 15 feet in 15 minutes, drowning about 200 cars in the Kenduskeag parking lots.  (Almost drowned a young woman as well, but a fellow- total stranger to the woman - swam out and got her to safety.  6 months later they got married, just like in the romance novels but this actually happened.)  With the late morning wind shift, BGR temp plummeted from 57 to 1, destroying any chance of fixing the submerged vehicles.  CAR barometer dropped to 957, their lowest on record, and they may have been east of the center.  In Ft. Kent we dropped from 46 during the downpour gales to -11 that evening, 44 at 1 PM to -6 at 6 PM.  The ice holes on public roads there were spectacular, and the logging roads west of Allagash were truck-breakers for the rest of winter.

Was gonna say...nothin like those Jun and Jul bombs.

If those fake warm-season bombs had included 7/20/96, they would've at least had a bit of credibility.  That was MWN's windiest day in met summer, probably by a significant margin, with an average velocity of 99 mph over the 24 hours.  Must've been something deep in the vicinity.

There maybe similar accounts from communities along the coast of NS once this goes by. Huge storm surge potential with this. Almost Juan category. Scary stuff.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Was hoping for a better jump but, it’s coming down to crunch time and the track has stabilized...pray for weenie bands to be well nw of qpf .  

There will be some nowcasting for sure with this one.   By tonight the radar hallucinations will kick in for some  while others debate a 10 mile shift based on satellite imagery versus models.

11 minutes ago, Bobbydoppler said:

KOWD, looks like we're in the same boat.  I'm a newbie here and my knowledge level is enthusiast at best, so please excuse my ignorance...but does Blue Hills area have any influence on weather/precip for our location, or is it too small?  

I think not.  It would have to be NE or us east I think.  OWD is close to my wx but I don’t radiate well with 200 feet of elevation.  

Fun times incoming!

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think not.  It would have to be NE or us east I think.  OWD is close to my wx but I don’t radiate well with 200 feet of elevation.  

Fun times incoming!

Same for me with radiating.  I'm at 220 feet.  I take the train from 128 which isn't far from OWD.  Yesterday morning wen from 1 above at home to -9 approaching the train.  When I ride my bike to the train, some mornings I can feel the temp drop significantly as I head down the last long hill.

26 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Was hoping for a better jump but, it’s coming down to crunch time and the track has stabilized...pray for weenie bands to be well nw of qpf .  

Danbury jumped from 2 to 6 inches on the euro.. sure it’s not a foot + blizzard but it definitely got better for us

Archived