Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

It does and the rgem was outside the benchmark. 

I know you want this to be a snowstorm, we all do, but you need to be objective.

Edit to reflect Ggem going considerably east toward the GFS.

Canadian is still a SECS for many in the metro.....

3 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I know you want this to be a snowstorm, we all do, but you need to be objective.

Thanks. It's early in the winter. Hopefully we get another chance.

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The main difference is the GFS generates no precipitation where many other models do west of the storm 

Canadian is also one of the worst models we have take a blend of Euro and GFS and it's a 1 to 2 inch snowfall for the area more over Eastern LI with probably nothing in PA.  This storm goes in the near miss section of the KU book

9 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I am

Do you really think this is the final solution ? It's the mesos vs globals.

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I am

Do you really think this is the final solution ? It's the mesos vs globals.

No I never said that, but we are approaching the timeframe where we’d be looking for sizable model shifts and I’m just not seeing anything sticking out on models that could lean this in our favor in future runs.

We aren’t going to see a transient block at 500 pop up now... we aren’t most likely going to see that lead vort just disappear now...

We could still hope for some spacing resolvement, but that likely wouldn’t yield major differences in our favor.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Overall models are trending in a negative direction for us tonight, I hope we still salvage some snow because it's going to be a long time before we get another chance, next storm looks like a Rainer. 

That thing will end up a flat nothing in the end.   There really is no marked change in the pattern to make me believe otherwise.  It’s axtually been trending less dynamic the last 2 days 

8 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Ukie?

The precip shield is unimpressive on the western side just like all the other model suites tonight. This just solidified my earlier thoughts of a non event for snow from I-95, west in our area. If you see more than snow showers and flurries west of I-95 consider yourself lucky. Congrats eastern New England 

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

00z GFS is out to sea.

The lead vort pulls everything East. It’s been the same story for days. While other areas have improved, the pesky lead vort doesn’t phase in until the system is gone, and it pulls the baroclinc zone East with it.

It's not going to phase.  There's other ways to make this come west.  

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Overall models are trending in a negative direction for us tonight, I hope we still salvage some snow because it's going to be a long time before we get another chance, next storm looks like a Rainer. 

Only if you're looking at qpf.  I liked some of the trends aloft.  Let's see what happens when the northern stream energy leaves a region with crappy data.  We'll have a really good idea at that point. 

40 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

Lol, the 0z run of the new HRDPS Canadian model has this system moving in a NW trajectory towards North Carolina at the end of the run. Not sure how reliable this model is.

My fav short range model.   It's only reliable inside 24 hrs .

Archived