Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

Continue to watch next weekend...

Signal for high pressure to be strong and well timed with a potential strong vort along the east coast. Ridge axis out west is not great but still favorable. It could indeed be an inland runner/late redeveloper or coastal hugger with no blocking but definitely one to watch.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

12z GFS has the thaw starting around the 18th and continuing until the end of the run. Most things indicate that we're going to have an extended warm pattern in late January.

But that would be pushed back again. Most Januarys have a thaw, but it doesn't have to be extended or super warm. Still too far out to tell the extent. 

4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Euro still wants no part of any snow next week. 4 day thaw with rain and then turning colder around day 9

Euro shows some snow for Monday

It also tries to form a coastal after the lakes cutter. We should still keep an eye out on that storm.

I posted this in the January thread but the Euro now shows the NAO going negative next weekend.

Still a pretty strong modeled high pressure sitting there in Canada for the end of the week storm, wondering if we see any correction towards a somewhat muted mild up at least for some sections. Still would not be entirely surprised as I’ve been saying to see a real late redeveloper come along in the modeling as time progresses, though that fact does not preclude the expected warmup at all. Like I had said a few days ago, there was hardly any way to envision this as a wintry event here.

As the pac jet undercuts the western ridge and the blocking deteriorates, that strong vort is allowed to wind up and pump heights out ahead of it in combination with the WAR there is no other choice but for this to cut.

With that said, it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that this is not a wintry event for most if not all of this subforum. 

Meanwhile, those that are truly warm sectored can look forward to the outside possibility of some convective activity as models are showing a pretty decent pwat response and a modest low level jet.

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Gfs unloads the arctic after the cutter with a storm threat. CMC also has some snow for the coast.

Storm threat may be there but with the pattern shift and changing pacific, the arctic is not truly unloaded after the cutter, yes it will cool back down but it’s short lived and not a very sharp shot this go around.

2 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Storm threat may be there but with the pattern shift and changing pacific, the arctic is not truly unloaded after the cutter, yes it will cool back down but it’s short lived and not a very sharp shot this go around.

There is barely a thaw on the GFS

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

There is barely a thaw on the GFS

It’s there, but brought on mainly by the changing pattern the next couple weeks where storms will cut and bring in the warmer air followed by modest cool downs afterwards. The source region seems more Canadian than true arctic airmasses. 

My disagreement with your statement lies in the “arctic is unloaded” after the cutter part. Not saying at all that we are going to have a long duration thaw, just that I would set my expectations lower based on where and how the cold air is delivered in the near future. 

Gfs did trend colder for far interior areas, strong icing event up towards central and maybe parts of southern New England. Canadian is warmer.

It would take a lot of work to get frozen closer to us but regardless we'll still warm sector on Friday, probably up to 60 or so with possible convection from the first wave. 

Archived