Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Benchmark is basically for I95 corridor

Been plenty of bm storms were I had  decent snow , I’m only 30 miles nw and I’ve seen some drastic cutoffs these  past few years .   I actually root for over running events since that’s the only way I get precip in recent years. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Been plenty of bm storms were I had  decent snow , I’m only 30 miles nw and I’ve seen some drastic cutoffs these  past few years .   I actually root for over running events since that’s the only way I get precip in recent years. 

N&W used to see plenty of snow from frequent clippers and swfe's. It was only a couple of inches at a time but it got us to 45"+ almost every year. Most winters we would have snow on the ground for 4-6 weeks at a time but not always. Frequently those swfe's would push warm air ahead of them and take out what snow we had on the ground and then replace it with quick melting wet snow. We really did have different kinds of winters up to the last ~15 years or so.

Just now, snow1 said:

EPS is still east. Going down the wire here. Not looking to good for us. 

This is what I'm talking about; a few posters here say things are trending better, and another one comes on and says things are not looking good. All I can say is some sure bets in recent years failed to deliver ( at least two big ones and some in 2013 thought the FEb storm would deliver ) so I no longer think anything is written in stone until it happens.

One thing is clear which is the models are struggling immensely with the mess of vorts and this deep system. I’m not calling for a big hit just yet but something about this storm feels “special”. It has that feeling of those monster storms we’ve had that creep west at the last minute. It wouldn’t take much for this to be a 12”+ storm for I-95 and east.

14 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

One thing is clear which is the models are struggling immensely with the mess of vorts and this deep system. I’m not calling for a big hit just yet but something about this storm feels “special”. It has that feeling of those monster storms we’ve had that creep west at the last minute. It wouldn’t take much for this to be a 12”+ storm for I-95 and east.

Well the time of year is right and the "feel" of the winter is right, but isn't the NAO positive? Asking a serious question here, because one thing I have learned here is that you don't get blockbusters without a -NAO

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I thought 12z Monday this thing was suppose to be narrowed down and figured out? More questions then answers.

I think by Tuesday 12z we'll have higher confidence (hopefully), I'm pretty sure that by then the Pacific shortwave would have been sampled and that data would be ingested into the models.

Archived