Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 30th 2017 Clipper

WeatherFeen2000

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

I don't see how the ratios would be greater than 15:1 as anything above that is extremely rare around here. As someone stated, lower temps don't equal higher ratios. 

This may end up being an inch at best but with how dry the air is and the amount of virga likely, it may only be a dusting (>0.5"). 

700mb temps are -20c.  So I would not think ratios will be 20 to 1. 15 to 1 is possible though

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some hints of an ocean-effect band *just* east of the city (very close to JFK) on Saturday morning (see 3KM NAM, RPM, HRGEM).  The low level convergence would need to align just right, but the temp profiles in low levels are killer for some high-ratio fluff, especially on Long Island. 

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

I’ve already gone into my reasons, extensively over the last 2 days and a couple of pro mets agreed with me, look back at my posts for the reasons

It’s a potent shortwave, any enhanced lift from the Atlantic could drop 1-2 inches across the area.  The NAM has trended wetter 

47 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Some hints of an ocean-effect band *just* east of the city (very close to JFK) on Saturday morning (see 3KM NAM, RPM, HRGEM).  The low level convergence would need to align just right, but the temp profiles in low levels are killer for some high-ratio fluff, especially on Long Island. 

There is light southerly flow which will help L.I.  .2 sneaks in just east of the city with .4 now into Suffolk county.

Could see as much as 3 just east of JFK with as much as 5 out on to the East end if the NAM is right. 

nam3km_apcpn_neus_20.png

nam3km_mslp_wind_neus_48.png

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The bickering is getting ridiculous. Keep it constructive or keep it to yourself. 

Things haven't really changed, it's still mainly a dusting to an inch for most of the area. The east end of LI might get a bit more, I'm not sure what ratios people think we're going to get but anything above 15:1 is a big stretch. 

The previous clipper systems were a lot more potent. 

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Things haven't really changed, it's still mainly a dusting to an inch for most of the area. The east end of LI might get a bit more, I'm not sure what ratios people think we're going to get but anything above 15:1 is a big stretch. 

In this air mass 20:1 is really not a stretch. 

21 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think 1-2 is entirely possible based on a good portion of guidance from EWR to WRN Long Island.  Far eastern Long Island has room to see over 3-4 but it’s too early given it’s going come down to how quick the surface low forms and other factors the NAM/RGEM should see better tomorrow 

4 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

wow OES just east of JFK (around here) would be extremely rare- I wonder when's the last time that happened?

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

03-04 winter (Jan 2004 I think) we had a storm with widespread 40:1 ratios and LGA even had 80:1 ratio snow.

That was likely a bad ASOS liquid equivalent.  I remember that event and it was about 20-25 to 1 on average I think.  I think this one may be up to 20 to 1 in some areas.  There didn’t see to be a huge change on the 21Z SREFs except ERN LI where they looked wetter 

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That was likely a bad ASOS liquid equivalent.  I remember that event and it was about 20-25 to 1 on average I think.  I think this one may be up to 20 to 1 in some areas.  There didn’t see to be a huge change on the 21Z SREFs except ERN LI where they looked wetter 

I remember the clipper in Jan 2004 where we had 7” of absolute fluff with 10F temps. I think that was on 0.30-0.35” liquid. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

I remember the clipper in Jan 2004 where we had 7” of absolute fluff with 10F temps. I think that was on 0.30-0.35” liquid. 

Yeah I had 7 in Merrick I think.  That event also had no virga which surprised people.  I do recall though that it was slow to get going and that panic mode was setting in around 8-10pm because of a dry slot that formed.  Oddly enough the miller B a week later had almost the same thing happen.  .  Once again forecast soundings suggest this event will reach the ground quickly

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah I had 7 in Merrick I think.  That event also had no virga which surprised people.  I do recall though that it was slow to get going and that panic mode was setting in around 8-10pm because of a dry slot that formed.  Oddly enough the miller B a week later had almost the same thing happen.  .  Once again forecast soundings suggest this event will reach the ground quickly

I thought that was the one where they had 10-11 inches in Far Rockaway? I think it was the one where it snowed most of the night and it was still snowing hard early in the morning as the sun was trying to come out- sunrise snow- it looked pink as it was coming down with the rising sun in the background.

Archived