joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT officially throwing in the towel. He may have gotten the suppression of the SE ridge on and before Christmas right, but you can't get everything right I guess

UPDATE ON DEC 29-30 SNOWSTORM THREAT... Even though we have been talking about the POTENTIAL for a moderate or signficiant snowstorm for Middle Atlantic region for DEC 29-30 for several days... I have NOT "released" the SNOW DAWGGIE. There is a reason for this.

FIRST as some of you may know the trend from ALL of the various weather model guidance in the last 24 hrs (really the last 36 hours) -- has been for this system to look weaker and further east ( off the coast) with each cycle.

We are at the point where no one can say well its 8 days or 6 days ... or 4 days away.. things could change . From a forecast perspective (which is very dififerent from wx weenie perspective) it is 3 days and closing fast. Even though I did NOT post earlier today (12/25).... I DID see all of the model data. The system looks sooooo weak on some models it is hard to even see ANY system at all.

****KEY INFORMATION if you have travel plans for next week you do NOT have to be concerned about a **SIGNIFICANT** Middle Atlantic or New England snowstorm. That threat is now over.****

Yeah things could still change but not that Much over the next 2.5 days. At BEST we are looking at a few inches of snow for central and eastern NC and se VA-- yes I mean Hampton Roads. North and West of line from Richmond to Middle Peninsula to Lower Maryland Eastern Shore there may not be ANY snow.

What you DO have to worry about is ARCTIC COLD. Because there wont be a significant Low on the coast DEC 29-30.. the cold air gets into the area faster. On the morning of the 28th and 29th MIN temps will be the TEENS over north half of NC... all of central/ eastern VA except for southeast VA ...all of the Delmarva... all of central MD (including DC BAL) and SINGLE digits for the Shenandoah valley and mtns of western NC

This sort of cold increases in intensity DEC 31 to JAN 1 as large portions of IND OH WVA western MD mich of PA willsee temps of 5 to -15 F for Min temps at dawn

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:
3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:
I have to believe that when a 1060+ HP comes down wild things can happen.  Not saying it will snow but move it NW a bit and you could have something.

Wasnt a 1060+ hp pressure progged on the cmc to drop into the plains this week?

Yes.  Someone can correct me but where it drops in can make a difference in what happens at the surface...too east and suppression too west and warm east but middle can be money shot

1 minute ago, evaporativecooler said:

If those flurries sunday morning actually panned out they'd last for the next week or so with progged temps lmao

Yea, but flurries do not cover things and you still get stuck going to work! I need depth because the holidays have worn me out, and need a 48 hour vacation to do nothing!!

9 minutes ago, evaporativecooler said:

haha, EPO region reloads just in time for the end of the run. All in all 8/10, no big snow but grade A cold and we get just as much if not more consolation flakes than NYC/Boston. Big win 

The pattern at 384 is so similar to the current shift to cold that it's uncanny really. Groundhog day and stuff. 

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:
17 minutes ago, Cobalt said:
Much colder compared to 18z. Wonder if GEFS will follow suit after hr 240

Heck if we r going to go cold and relatively dry we might as well go for the gold. Below zero single digits ftw!

Yea, I own my own business with the hubby, I can use the excuse, "sorry, to cold for me to venture out to work today"! Probably would work!! :)

I do wonder how great lakes icing affects model handling of stormtracks. AFAIK GFS doesn't have an ice growth model built in so it isn't seeing the change in ice cover that will undoubtedly take place over the next few days, especially over lake erie with it's shallow column. Probably not a major factor but could hypothetically bump any modeled GL cutters a bit east?

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
20 minutes ago, Cobalt said:
Much colder compared to 18z. Wonder if GEFS will follow suit after hr 240

Heck if we r going to go cold and relatively dry we might as well go for the gold. Below zero single digits ftw!

It’ll be tough to do that though if no snow occurs.  Right now if that 12/30-12/31 system materializes and we snows from the MA into SNE the odds of below 0 go up significantly.  Not just because the snow pack but because a departing deepening low may also enhance the CAA 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

So GFS showed a chance for maybe 1 to 2 next weekend?

Euro/ukie/cmc all similar with a weak sw this weekend and not the same way/timing at the gfs. Gfs hasn't been hanging well with the rest of the group so I'm ignoring it for now. Although I did like seeing more room to amplify something if we can actually get something. 

I was a little surprised to see the weeklies have bn 2m temps through the end of Jan.  The h5 look verbatim doesn't jump out as a colder than normal look.  Only thing I can think of is that the members with higher than normal heights in AK, which is seen on the weekly mean, are probably translating to a very cold look... on those members. 

Others have noted that EPO looks to be the repetitive feature so far...and cold has been delivered as a result.  Conflicting signals are screwing with the models....I would not be surprised to see the MJO take a warmish/COD tour before returning to the colder phases, tho not greatly amplified....and we rinse and repeat late Dec and Jan.  Snow chances...who knows but shorter wavelengths later in the season can make a difference.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived