Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

oh wow, .2 contour right through the middle of the region. Boom!

Exciting!.  The Euro gives an idea how immportant what is happening in Canada is.  It shows a pretty good shortwave coming into the Pac NW behind the the monster vortex that develops with our 0.20" storm.  That vortex just shears the heck out of it.  The evolution of the upper pattern over Canada is hugely different on the GFS and Euro.  Emphasize the first impullse and deepen a upper level vortex with it and you get suppression for the GFS system.  Don't do much with the 1st one like the GFS and then you have room for the GFS solution. I think the GFS is probably out to lunch but if I was writing a CWG article.  I'd mention both possibilities. 

clippers can lay down pretty well here with even just 0.20 qpf.  that's probably a 3-5" system if we're talking temps in the 20s.  this is a northeast snow pattern.  even if it doesn't produce a big storm, this is exactly what you want in a region where the average high temp is 10 degrees above freezing.

1 minute ago, usedtobe said:

Exciting!.  The Euro gives an idea how immportant what is happening in Canada is.  It shows a pretty good shortwave coming into the Pac NW behind the the monster vortex that develops with our 0.20" storm.  That vortex just shears the heck out of it.  The evolution of the upper pattern over Canada is hugely different on the GFS and Euro.  Emphasize the first impullse and deepen a upper level vortex with it and you get suppression for the GFS system.  Don't do much with the 1st one like the GFS and then you have room for the GFS solution. I think the GFS is probably out to lunch but if I was writing a CWG article.  I'd mention both possibilities. 

I always love these kinds of events Wes. They aren't prolific producers but a quick hitting couple of inches with hard frozen ground + good ratios is a very nice event. Now if we can get a dig a little further south....with a little more amplitude...and weak surface reflection in central VA....nah, that's crazy talk...Is it? tell me it isnt....

1 minute ago, Deck Pic said:

Climo is still pretty hostile at the end of December...usually you have to settle for small events...

I don't think that is settling for any of us to be honest. Pattern isn't going to drop a precip bomb. That entire premise is long gone. This is one of those times where the cold hammer plays in our favor. In a typical year this vort would almost surely pass north (it certainly still might.lol) but forcing the shortwave far enough south is a byproduct of the unusually cold pattern. This isn't really a clipper. It's bringing pac moisture with it instead of the typical cold/dry Canadian prarie stuff. My hunch is the ens jump right on this but only because they seem to follow the op very close @ d4-5. 

1 minute ago, Conway7305 said:

Sounds like everyone is  writing off the 12z GFS op run. Wouldn’t that be great for once if the GFS caught onto an early trend,  this time in the right direction..lol

Take what's in front and not trailing behind. Trust me on this. Looking past the potential this weekend in hopes of a big solution down the line is a recipe for failure almost every time. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I don't think that is settling for any of us to be honest. Pattern isn't going to drop a precip bomb. That entire premise is long gone. This is one of those times where the cold hammer plays in our favor. In a typical year this vort would almost surely pass north (it certainly still might.lol) but forcing the shortwave far enough south is a byproduct of the unusually cold pattern. This isn't really a clipper. It's bringing pac moisture with it instead of the typical cold/dry Canadian prarie stuff. My hunch is the ens jump right on this but only because they seem to follow the op very close @ d4-5. 

agree about settling...I think we'd be happy with anything half decent

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Clippers are one of my favorite types of events around here. Not complicated, and with a good Arctic airmass in place we can overproduce if things break our way. Best part? 4 days away. 

Not complicated in setup, but the exact paths sure do move around north and south up to within 36-hrs. And as you know, with a narrow stripe, that can be full of “yay” or “ugh.” Hopefully this path stays and the trending will be in strength so the precip shield is more expansive.

The possible event isn't a clipper. It's a long track Pac shortwave forced underneath in zonal flow (uncommon). The most important difference with a long track pac sw versus a clipper is that is already has a good bit of moisture with it in comparison to a clipper. That doesn't mean big QPF. Just better chances at .25 or so than something diving down out of the middle of Canada. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived