Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Does anyone have a link for the most up to date MJO forecasts?  CPC link is a week old it seems.

Going forward ensembles suggest we have a mild period mid to late this week and then again mid next week for a longer spell.  The good news is you can already see the beginnning of a better pattern (reload) at the end of the run but it’s like d15 so I wouldn’t take that to the bank,

Google: Bureau of meteorology MJO

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

lol at that backdoor oozing in during the weekend storm. Flips ME/NH into a significant icing event. 

obviously you know this ... but who wouldn't be leery of that being more of an issue farther south.  

The Euro is clearly to wrapped up too early.  I feel the same going the other way for the GFS? 

However, a third deterministic headache is that the low levels when it comes to nascent polar air wedging from new high pressure is a little unnerving.  The ice storm before xmas really spent a few runs with liquid to BTV too - ...just sayn'

If one takes the GEFs derived teleconnectors verbatim ..sure... we warm up, then winter fights back ...before winter tries to end out there week2+  ... anything beyond that, regardless of source is useless.  

Haven't seen the EPS values, as those apparently don't get calculated for anyone but the pentaverate ..  but I find it interesting that the operational runs seem to be cool relative to the former appeal.

mmm. the eps mean has the operational run a pretty whoppin' westerly outlier there day 6 ..even has a 'cad' dent to the pressure field ...and given to the fact that the arm of polar high is already stacked into lower ontario by 120 hours, ... that's definitely something to watch.  not that anyone isn't -

56 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We joke about the Christmas Grinch but honestly MLK weekend is right up there with less than ideal ski days or at least it seems that way the past 10 years.

I'm heading out on Wednesday before the rain destroys the skiing. Otis was great yesterday, packed powder everywhere.

57 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We joke about the Christmas Grinch but honestly MLK weekend is right up there with less than ideal ski days or at least it seems that way the past 10 years.

The Grinch doesn't recognize MLK, nor does he have an issue with MLK. 

There must be some other, deep seated issue here.  

1 minute ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm heading out on Wednesday before the rain destroys the skiing. Otis was great yesterday, packed powder everywhere.

Yeah,  i'm going to try and get half-day in at Berkshire East tomorrow.  Just ironic we have had decent trail conditions for two weeks but frost bite cold then when we moderate we go warm rain. 

I haven't looked yet, but is it timing differences resulting in a mean that looks colder than reality? All of the op runs have CAD developing and a high pressure kink to the isobars east of the mtns too. If we can speed up that fropa and get some colder mid-level temps in here I suppose it could get interesting frozen wise. The icing potential is intriguing. Most models are pushing the sfc boundary through in advance of the follow-up wave. The euro starts advecting in the subfreezing sfc air and then promptly cuts it off and shoots 50s right through it into SE NH. I'm not buying that. Once that Maine drain starts kicking in it won't give that easily. It seems our area just wants to ageo flow with this so we may have to watch its acceleration as precip starts wetbulbing into that arctic air lurking in NNE. We'll see.

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mmm. the eps mean has the operational run a pretty whoppin' westerly outlier there day 6 ..even has a 'cad' dent to the pressure field ...and given to the fact that the arm of polar high is already stacked into lower ontario by 120 hours, ... that's definitely something to watch.  not that anyone isn't -

Looks like a race. The s/w near the GULF means business. But I think with the first wave exiting stage right quickly with an ensuing -AO, it will open the door for the arctic right as our big storm gets cranking. I think this is setting up for an epic battle of air masses in NNE, with a moisture feed right out of the Gulf. I don't think the incredible QPF amounts being advertised on guidance are overdone--to me its more likely underdone. 

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Looks like a race. The s/w near the GULF means business. But I think with the first wave exiting stage right quickly with an ensuing -AO, it will open the door for the arctic right as our big storm gets cranking. I think this is setting up for an epic battle of air masses in NNE, with a moisture feed right out of the Gulf. I don't think the incredible QPF amounts being advertised on guidance are overdone--to me its more likely underdone. 

GFS is 3 inches of qpf in the Adirondacks, 2 of that QPF is in a frozen form.  It drives temps down into the teens with ZR or IP

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I haven't looked yet, but is it timing differences resulting in a mean that looks colder than reality? All of the op runs have CAD developing and a high pressure kink to the isobars east of the mtns too. If we can speed up that fropa and get some colder mid-level temps in here I suppose it could get interesting frozen wise. The icing potential is intriguing. Most models are pushing the sfc boundary through in advance of the follow-up wave. The euro starts advecting in the subfreezing sfc air and then promptly cuts it off and shoots 50s right through it into SE NH. I'm not buying that. Once that Maine drain starts kicking in it won't give that easily. It seems our area just wants to ageo flow with this so we may have to watch its acceleration as precip starts wetbulbing into that arctic air lurking in NNE. We'll see.

Good points, I agree. It seems more likely the entire complex moves together with the same vector, and our second wave rides along the front with more of an east component, rather than backing into the approaching arctic airmass like that...

46 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah,  i'm going to try and get half-day in at Berkshire East tomorrow.  Just ironic we have had decent trail conditions for two weeks but frost bite cold then when we moderate we go warm rain. 

For me it's either Butternut, or Catamount. I might possibly go to West Mtn, never been.

2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

The Grinch doesn't recognize MLK, nor does he have an issue with MLK. 

There must be some other, deep seated issue here.  

J Edgar Hoover storm?

One of my favorite storms was MLK day in 94.  We got 17 inches in S. Royalton Vt in short order.  Only downside was that my keys fell out of a hole in my jacket pocket while I was crossing the village green.  They were not seen again until early May when the last of the snow melted and a housemate spotted them.

7 minutes ago, klw said:

J Edgar Hoover storm?

One of my favorite storms was MLK day in 94.  We got 17 inches in S. Royalton Vt in short order.  Only downside was that my keys fell out of a hole in my jacket pocket while I was crossing the village green.  They were not seen again until early May when the last of the snow melted and a housemate spotted them.

:lol:

Archived