joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9th 2017 Crusha or brusha?

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM is a very nice event areawide. Verbatim it has 3-6" areawide by 0z Sunday. 6" in Suffolk County and 3" well north and west, and there's still a good amount left. 

The rain/mix is held just offshore. The mixing doesn't seem to make it on land anywhere besides maybe the twin forks due to northerly winds-it's not driven by the low being too close or warm mid levels. We all should be fine besides those areas as long as winds stay northerly, which keeps cold air flowing in. The low itself looks fairly strung out and headed near the benchmark.

The high res NAM on the other hand does bring a warm layer in at around 750mb for eastern Suffolk, that would likely mean sleet mixing in there. 

GFS is 6-8" for the City on east, no mixing problems anywhere, even well east it looks like. 3-6" everywhere else west of I-95. 

I'm thinking if the Euro follows suit later, watches get hoisted at least near the coast and for the city. Although this may be a longer length system where it doesn't make it to 8" in 24 hours. 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s a great sign. We want snow modeled well to the west at this juncture. That gives me confidence that a scraper is less likely and it’s legit time to lock and load!

I agree and given the orientation of the wind I'm not concerned with mixing unless it were to really come west and given the trough I doubt it can come much west.

Just now, jm1220 said:

GFS is 6-8" for the City on east, no mixing problems anywhere, even well east it looks like. 3-6" everywhere else west of I-95. 

I'm thinking if the Euro follows suit later, watches get hoisted at least near the coast and for the city. Although this may be a longer length system where it doesn't make it to 8" in 24 hours. 

Yeah, doesn't really meet criteria but we'v seen WSW for 4-7/ 4-8"" before. They may just go straght to warnings after 12z suite if it's looking good. But it is a weekend so idk if they would be as inclined to go WSW.

Yeah, doesn't really meet criteria but we'v seen WSW for 4-7/ 4-8"" before. They may just go straght to warnings after 12z suite if it's looking good. But it is a weekend so idk if they would be as inclined to go WSW.

4-7/4-8" meets criteria, because criteria is 6". The Avg of 4-8" is 6" and the Avg of 4-7" is 5.5" which rounds up to 6".

6 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
11 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

4-7/4-8" meets criteria, because criteria is 6". The Avg of 4-8" is 6" and the Avg of 4-7" is 5.5" which rounds up to 6".

In 12 hours. This would be borderline.

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
6 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Since it’s the first event of the winter I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with wsw from the city east. I’ve noticed over the past couple of years if it’s early in the winter and there’s a really cold morning with bad black ice they’ll issue a winter weather advisory just to put extra emphasis to the public to be careful. This has the same kind of ability of surprising the public. 

Though ultimately it’s just semantics. 

Since it’s the first event of the winter I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with wsw from the city east. I’ve noticed over the past couple of years if it’s early in the winter and there’s a really cold morning with bad black ice they’ll issue a winter weather advisory just to put extra emphasis to the public to be careful. This has the same kind of ability of surprising the public. 

Though ultimately it’s just semantics. 

This is definitely a factor also.

39 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Is this a storm that could exceed 24 hrs in length?

Having the mix line so close and yet not make it onshore reminds me of December 2003

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

But if the low is where Ant says it is, they probably have (well)over an inch of liquid to work with the further E you go.

Just got to look at the panels myself, ya its very juicy. Personally i prefer the cement paste vs the fluff type snow anyways so i'll take the uk to the bank any day of the week.

Archived