• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9, 2017 - Storm Discussion (Breaking the seal on the season for many)

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the much lower side of things here for CT but I'm thinking widespread 2-4'' with 1-3'' across the NW portion of the state. I find it kind of tough to see prolonged periods of moderate to heavy snow occurring. I think we'll generally see light snow with bursts of moderate snow. While bufkit soundings show excellent snowgrowth and sufficient moisture within the DSZ, I'm not seeing a great deal of omega...generally -10 units of omega. Also, looking at 700mb VV forecasts and even 850mb VV's, we don't get a nice solid presence of VV's to setup, rather we see bursts of stronger VV's push overhead. This leads me to believe that we generally see light snows with only bursts of moderate snows. I think the lack of stronger lift within the DSZ will reduce the likelihood for higher snowfall ratios. QPF didn't really impressive me either, especially considering how long the QPF is drawn out. (1/2'' of QPF in say 10-12 hours) also I think suggests predominately light snows. 

Now perhaps I'm completely underestimating llvl influences which in these situations you can get an extremely heavy band of snows from excellent llvl convergence, forcing, and lift but that might be further east. 

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

One thing that never changes

People over react to people commenting on something not favorable 

Makes it easier to be dismissed

UKIE still looks good

Want Euro to hold serve

Not sure who overreacted....but its pretty easy to dismiss one suite of the NCEP guidance.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not sure who overreacted....but its pretty easy to dismiss one suite of the NCEP guidance.

I may have because my numbers are on the high side. But... 00z NAM 3km & 12km, 00z GFS, 00z Reggie, and latest RPM have all cut back by varying degrees (some as much as 20% or so) wrt QPF. 

Sort of bummed I didn't stick with my initial 3"-6" forecast.

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

I may have because my numbers are on the high side. But... 00z NAM 3km & 12km, 00z GFS, 00z Reggie, and latest RPM have all cut back by varying degrees (some as much as 20% or so) wrt QPF. 

When I was checking my phone at work today and saw you bumped I was freaking out :lol: 

BTW, my roommate and I were watching your 11:00 forecast last night and it was tremendous. It sucks I don't get to really watch the news much but the way you break things down and explain them is quite inspiring. 

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Tossing the RGEM?

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Not that I have to tell you this, but I try to just keep an even keel...never bit on the zonked 6-10" runs.

My first guess at the start of the week was 2-5", which wasn't bad considering how meager guidance was. I have 3-6" for most of CT and feel decent about it.

I puked all over myself last April 1 lol, so hoping to start well.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not that I have to tell you this, but I try to just keep an even keel...never bit on the zonked 6-10" runs.

My first guess at the start of the week was 2-5", which wasn't bad considering how meager guidance was. I have 3-6" for most of CT and feel decent about it.

I puked all over myself last April 1 lol, so hoping to start well.

I have had 4 to 6 for 4 days. 8 lolly

Archived