• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9, 2017 - Storm Discussion (Breaking the seal on the season for many)

Baroclinic Zone

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think you will do fairly well. No question all snow...and no question is should stack nicely. I think you will be surprised at how well DAW can hold the cold. I can't wait to see your reaction when we get a real CAD situation and the models have you at 40F and it's 26 with ZR.

I do think we'll get at least 4" for sure. At this point, questions are shifting to how much of our potential we can maximize at my location in downtown Dover. I think we have higher ceiling than almost everyone on this sub-forum given that we should be fully snow all the way though with room to spare. Of course, you can never rule out dry slotting, etc.

I had to forecast a major CAD region down in the Carolinas and it was a pain because it's almost always colder at the surface than models are showing. Expecting the same here for some events down the road.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

BTW, a very high thickness snow event going on in the south right now. Critical thicknesses fail if one is using that. That goes to show you the magic that can happen when you get good lift in the DGZ. 

Even for New England some of the crude PSU EWall NAM/GFS maps have the 540 line like northwest of ORH and BDL tomorrow.  

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

BTW, a very high thickness snow event going on in the south right now. Critical thicknesses fail if one is using that. That goes to show you the magic that can happen when you get good lift in the DGZ. 

Approaching to 7" in Asheville and they still have 12-18 more hours of snow. Just a spectacular forecasting bust there. Too bad we won't see the first half of that system up here. That'd be a heck of an event here.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Remember that GGEM map the other day that we tossed. Had snow from TX to ATL to Maine. 

Its gonna be dead nuts on. Canadian was first to see it but lost it 

The Canadian is about as reliable for cyclogenesis as the NAM is for temps in London.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's awesome. I did not pay much attention to the forecast there, but sounds like quite the near term bust!

Local mets were expecting 2-6" heading into last night with higher amounts in mountains. NWS had them at 1-2" 24 hours ago. Then short-range models went crazy during the night and local news tried to bump up to 6-9". They're already past that with 7-10" reports coming in now. HRRR still has snow for them all the way through 7 am tomorrow.

Man, I wish this was a year ago.

NWS GSP.png

Archived