• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Both. I think future frames will correlate and show with the Gulf wide open the way it is progged that in turn there will be more moisture influx. The tilt of the trough really helps and benefits the trend NW.

I've been watching over the last couple of days and it seems like it has gone from a positively tilted trough to a neutral stance. Are there chances it goes negative tilt?

Based on everything I see, from over half of the GEFS members with at least 1" here, some with 5" +, the Euro ensemble mean being over 1", the new very impressive NAM- I think we see snow almost for sure now, some accumulations possible on grass, cars etc area. Fingers crossed for the NAM to be right, but need to see more evidence, but the trends are favorable right now for it at least not being a total bust.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Based on everything I see, from over half of the GEFS members with at least 1" here, some with 5" +, the Euro ensemble mean being over 1", the new very impressive NAM- I think we see snow almost for sure now, some accumulations possible on grass, cars etc area. Fingers crossed for the NAM to be right, but need to see more evidence, but the trends are favorable right now for it at least not being a total bust.

These types of systems are probably the most favorable for that region because they do not tend to move NW as much with time because they don’t have the deep surface low.  I’ve seen plenty end of destroying MCN though and missing ATL 

3 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Huh? Rgem normally does very well with thermal profiles.

Not lately it hasn't. The blizzard in the NE earlier this year it was one of the colder models and busted horribly... the January storm last year it was also one of the colder models until within about 18 hours out and it busted pretty badly then too. Warm noses often come in stronger and warmer than modeled and the RGEM doesn't do very well with them at this range, within 24 hours it is very good but this far out it struggles.

3 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

When Cheez says it's going to snow, it's going to snow! Knows his stuff 

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

Yea, the GFS looks pretty bad, really thought it would start trending to a stronger system

Ive seen it do this garbage so many times. It stays southeast, and then within 48 hours it will support the camps that are all in general agreement.

Canadian and CMC will be telling. UKIE will be a precursor to the EURO imo.

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Ive seen it do this garbage so many times. It stays southeast, and then within 48 hours it will support the camps that are all in general agreement.

Yep GFS is garbage since the upgrade, it just doesn't do well with much of anything. Did terrible with hurricane intensity/development this summer/fall and did horrible in the January snow this year. I wouldn't put much stock in it right now, CMC, UK and Euro are much more important IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Couldn't agree more.  We saw this all last winter too.  For whatever reasons, GFS does seem to be the last one to the party with these wave interactions in the winter.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

I wonder if that is part of the dynamics of that area that @Lookout talked about last year. I can't remember exactly what it is but that area is always warmer. 

If I'm not mistaken It has a lot to do with the topography. As the low spins it's hard to get cold air in fast enough when the cold air source is coming from the north and western side of the apps as opposed to an eastern cold air source damming event 

I think we'll see the EURO jump NW this afternoon most likely. This seems to be the timeframe (48 to 72 hrs out) it has been happening w/ SECS over the past few years. If this trend continues, starting to think western NC is going to be hammered. I will likely head home Friday afternoon if that's the case. This setup aloft is pretty ideal for that portion of the state.

• Like 4