• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

There were some EPS members that had similar strength/tracks like the CMC, UK is not quite as amped but still would be snow for climo favored areas (85-77) I would think.  Still 48-60 hours from this starting up in the Deep South.  Not sure if this will track more west but more amped maybe...

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Meteocentre goes out to 144... but precipitation and h5 only goes out to 72

Gotcha, thanks yoda!

Anyway, to get back on topic, for those in western NC into southern VA (I-85 / I-77 corridors), do any models have a known sort of bias for not having enough precip on the western side of storm systems? Can't remember ever looking at a radar with a razor-edged cutoff on any side of a storm system. Even if precip is lighter (this isn't a huge system after all), I would think these areas would have a better shot at an all-snow event.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Grit being that the gfs is so far off from the others do you even include it in a blend right now? Of course unless the euro goes that way.

We have a mix of solutions right now with amped up runs (CMC/JMA), and positive tilt, flatter runs (NAM/GFS).  Probably take a middle man approach, similar to the Ensemble Means....but my thinking has been that we would see this tick more amped with more precip inland

15 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Gotcha, thanks yoda!

Anyway, to get back on topic, for those in western NC into southern VA (I-85 / I-77 corridors), do any models have a known sort of bias for not having enough precip on the western side of storm systems? Can't remember ever looking at a radar with a razor-edged cutoff on any side of a storm system. Even if precip is lighter (this isn't a huge system after all), I would think these areas would have a better shot at an all-snow event.

As long as the wave doesn't go too positive tilt like the GFS, yes, I'd expect more precip inland than currently shown.  Models tend to be too skimpy on the NW side with precip in Miller A's

25 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Think I'll stay up for the EURO to crush my dreams.

Where do you guys go to view the UKMET? The meteocentre site I have only goes out to 72 hours. Doesn't it go out to 120?

You can get the UKMet early at this link, but you have to turn your head sideways to view it, lol - http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=1&ech=60&carte=1021

So we have UKmet/JMA/CMC that are amped with precip shield all the way back to western TN. This puts the warm nose/ mixing with rain line closer to the i-85 corridor. JMA is the coldest in that regard.

Then we have NAM/GFS with a more muted precip shield, but the warm nose/mixing in line is further south/east.

Euro falls somewhere in the middle of the two camps.

This doesn't take in to account the surface warm layer,(hopefully we can overcome that with decent rates.)

From RAH:

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
500 AM EST Wed Dec 6 2017

NCZ007>010-021>026-038>041-071000-
Person-Granville-Vance-Warren-Forsyth-Guilford-Alamance-Orange-
Durham-Franklin-Davidson-Randolph-Chatham-Wake-
500 AM EST Wed Dec 6 2017

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central North Carolina.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight.

Hazardous weather is no expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday.

light rain on Thursday through Friday night may mix with or change to
some wet snow, especially across the northern Piedmont.
Accumulations, if they occur, should be limited to a dusting or so,
and generally confined to elevated and grassy locations.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation is not expected at this time.

$$