Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

2 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

Temps are warmer though, bordering 32, so that would mitigate accumulations. It would be one of those ZR events where the tree tops have a bit of a glisten but surface impacts would be negligible. 

32 degree events don’t work out for ice because we often see 60-70 degree temps leading up the event. I don’t quite remember the last time we saw this kind of potential on the tail end of a cold wave. I think surface impacts would be high. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

What does the GEPS show for that same time period?  On PivotalWeather, it looks like a general trough in the east on that model.

Looks warm...trough in the GOA, those can be very stubborn to dislodge.  We are kind of following what happened last winter...couple of cold shots in December, first 10 days of January was cold, big east coast storm.  Then all out torch from mid-Jan through spring.  Last winter from mid Jan to March 1st I think our high was in the 70's half those days.  

Compare the GEFS 5 day extended mean with what we saw last winter from mid-Jan on....not good if you want cold anytime soon.  Well anytime after Sunday.

xLRYtRR.png

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Nice, Pack!  You’ll be able to get that preemergent down.

Personally I think we will get another 7-10 cold shot end of Jan into Feb.  The GEFS still showing the -AO for the next 10 days.  We had a -EPO/-AO in Dec for 10 days, got another one in Jan for 10 days, think it happens one more time.  Though analogs say we are warm for Feb.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

Waiting for @Cold Rain teleconnections. Looks like the Neutral to slightly Negative, same for the NAO. PNA is looking positive to Neutral and the EPO is flat lined. 

Man, I'm on vaca...I mean working from home today.  The connection is slow, so it's hard to prepare and upload images. :)  But you got the gist of it.  Falls laid it out pretty well above.  Looks like a good opportunity to relax the pattern.  I don't buy the flip to warm being a semi-permanent feature for the rest of the winter though.

Chuck is confusing me again.  Chuck, are you saying:

1 )  That we should have broken the cold pattern down already but didn't and because of that, we should reverse hard and go really warm?

2 )  That since the cold pattern didn't break down, warm-ups could get pretty warm, but probably won't?

3 )  That it might get cold or warm and stay cold or warm or flip from cold to warm back to cold or flip from warm to cold back to warm?

4 )  That the typical La Nino switch from cold to warm didn't occur and now the El Nina cold pattern might change to mild or back to an energetic flow that could offer bouts of weather?

5 )  Other (fill in blank here): ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks,

Cold Rain 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

From the NC Climate Office blog today...

This weekend, a reinforcing shot of cold air is on the way, and parts of the Coastal Plain with snow still on the ground could be looking at some of their coldest temperatures in years.

Sunday morning's forecasted low in Edenton is 5°F. The last time temperatures dropped that low there was almost 22 years ago on February 5, 1996, and that station has only been that cold seven times since 1872. Rare air, indeed.

http://climate.ncsu.edu/climateblog?id=251

2 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Alien ship is lifting out shortly lol
A lot of extra potential energy around the globe right now, call it mountain torque and whatever, and with blocks expected to break on models this is usually a signal for good warm up in the next few weeks. 
(the alien ship might drop in for a +PNA in a week.) 

Thanks, Chuck.  That makes sense.  Do you think the aliens are gone for the rest of the winter?  Or are you thinking they just temporarily warp out to refuel/resupply and perhaps return late in the month/Feb and drop another multi-phasic block bomb on us and make us cold again?

1 hour ago, BornAgain13 said:

CMC is a Major ICE Storm for southern and central VA.

zr_acc.us_ma.png

Man BRING IT! I am literally deprived of winter weather this year. My total for this year is 1/2 inch of snow from basically Lake Michigan effect, as there was a streamer that made it down this way and set up shop for a couple hours. I will take anything at this point. Is Euro showing anything similar to CMC as of 12z?

3 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Man BRING IT! I am literally deprived of winter weather this year. My total for this year is 1/2 inch of snow from basically Lake Michigan effect, as there was a streamer that made it down this way and set up shop for a couple hours. I will take anything at this point. Is Euro showing anything similar to CMC as of 12z?

Dang man, I thought you got something last month when we got 5 inches in Southside. South Boston got a dusting to 1/2 inch down to Hyco lake then bending back to Reidsville and GSO last night but we didnt even see a flake to my knowledge.. Sharp edge. I think this this next threat could be some sleet/snow to start if the precip starts early enough.. Even EURO hints at this but doesnt really move in moisture until it has warmed up. Something to watch.

7 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Dang man, I thought you got something last month when we got 5 inches in Southside. South Boston got a dusting to 1/2 inch down to Hyco lake then bending back to Reidsville and GSO last night but we didnt even see a flake to my knowledge.. Sharp edge. I think this this next threat could be some sleet/snow to start if the precip starts early enough.. Even EURO hints at this but doesnt really move in moisture until it has warmed up. Something to watch.

No we had heavy virga for hours. It was so dry here when GSO and everyone got there big snow. Was pretty painful to watch. About 50 miles south of ROA got 2''.