• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12Z Model Thread 12/22

Comparing 96h Euro to 84h NAM, they're not all that far off. The downstream vortex is further west on the NAM, but the upstream ridge is similarly positioned. Similar sloppy phase look in the midwest at 500mb.

Adding another observation. I like the Euro's evolution of the northern stream vortmax digging into the southern trough better than the NAM, as least as far as getting this thing to bomb out is concerned. Seems like the NAM wouldn't really buckle and deepen the 500mb system like the Euro has been.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparing 96h Euro to 84h NAM, they're not all that far off. The downstream vortex is further west on the NAM, but the upstream ridge is similarly positioned. Similar sloppy phase look in the midwest at 500mb.

KPANTEEZ :drunk: HOWDY

it's a capture LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION is the key

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam/12znam500mbvortNAMLoop.html

W-NOAM ridge more amplified/further west via ECMWF, so southern stream disturbance is faster and further east on NAM. It also appears the the pseudo 50/50 low is displaced significantly to the south via the 12Z NAM, and not allowing heights to rise along the eastern seaboard. Finally the CAA into the trough is not as significant as the ECMWF, so the trough does not appear it will deepen/close off at H5 as fast.

Surface depiction on the 12z NAM at 84 hours is very lackluster and I don't think it matches up with the pattern aloft.

In any case, I don't really care about the NAM, storm or no storm. What we need is a significant move from the GFS and UKMET today towards the Euro and GGEM, even if there is some sort of compromise between the two. The s/w will be ashore later tonight (I believe), so 12z and 00z runs today will be extremely important.

BTW, the Euro makes this a sunday into monday event correct?

Surface depiction on the 12z NAM at 84 hours is very lackluster and I don't think it matches up with the pattern aloft.

In any case, I don't really care about the NAM, storm or no storm. What we need is a significant move from the GFS and UKMET today towards the Euro and GGEM, even if there is some sort of compromise between the two. The s/w will be ashore later tonight (I believe), so 12z and 00z runs today will be extremely important.

BTW, the Euro makes this a sunday into monday event correct?

correct

Here's the comparison from yesterdays 12Z run. Not an expert whatsoever on confluence but doesn't today's run show it starting to break it down on the east coast compared to yesterday? Thought I heard mentioned at some point that would be a good thing if we were looking for a good storm?

Anyway, all and all I like the look better then what we had yesterday. With the heights rising in the east and the stronger ridge out west though maybe a little to far east still to keep the storm on the coast.

the NAM doesn't look like the Euro at all imo,

compare the 12z nam at 84 to the 0z euro at 96....

ridge is less sharp, will be less amplification because of this

trough axis is further east and not digging as much and it's not neutrally tilted like the 0z euro at the same

also, way more confluence on the NAM. North atlantic low is slow to get out.

it would probably look like the GFS if extrapolated

Once again, the NAM looks mostly like the Euro at the end of its run. That is all we can take from this. Saying it would go out to sea if it ran longer is silly.

I think there are some massive differences at 500mb that make a huge difference in the outcome... they are hundreds of miles apart on the storm over the Atlantic and the northern stream shortwave coming south out of Canada... Wisconsin vs. Dakotas!

Of course we can all take heart that it is the NAM and it is at 84 hours. I lean heavily towards the Euro here in its superior positioning.

its actually a good sign ..and the NAM usually isnt that great at 84 so there would be room for improvement in later runs

I think there are some massive differences at 500mb that make a huge difference in the outcome... they are hundreds of miles apart on the storm over the Atlantic and the northern stream shortwave coming south out of Canada... Wisconsin vs. Dakotas!

Of course we can all take heart that it is the NAM and it is at 84 hours. I lean heavily towards the Euro here in its superior positioning.

Normally I would agree but it's supported by absolutely nothing, not even its ensembles.

NAM out to sea probably not but I also don't think it's pointing to an EC scenario either. There's a lot of energy still coming down into the trough, I'm wondering if this is a situation that becomes a mainly Mid/Atl south storm or out to sea as the two main options. RE, not sure I buy the earlier GGEM/EC depictions.

In any case can't blame the models for the mayhem, very complex situation.

Normally I would agree but it's supported by absolutely nothing, not even its ensembles.

It does have ensemble support, but it is near the western edge of the spread. Seeing the ensemble mean SE of the operational is not unusual and doesn't always mean the op is out to lunch. It might be signaling a small correction, though.

quickly, the largest changes that I see between 12z and 0z...

compare the jet streak orientation between 72hr 12z vs 84hr 0z....upstream of the trough

I saw the same thing, maybe an insignificant detail though. The trough is also oriented differently, and the jet at 84h looks interesting too.

It does have ensemble support, but it is near the western edge of the spread. Seeing the ensemble mean SE of the operational is not unusual and doesn't always mean the op is out to lunch. It might be signaling a small correction, though.

However more than half (in fact 75%) of its ensembles were a miss. That's ugly.

I haven't seen the individual Euro ensembles... just the mean. Cisco down at HPC overnight said a number of individual members did support the operational. I'm going on their word. And all I really meant by that is I lean heavily towards the Euro on an 84 hour forecast at 500mb than I would the NAM at 84 hours.

It was posted here by another met that 37/50 members were a miss.

Without seeing them I don't know what that means... A miss for who? Everyone? New England? Raleigh? DC? Philly? Hazleton?

All I'm saying is there is some support. Not unanimous, but some. There are a few GFS Ensembles supporting the western track too. Not unanimous by any stretch, but some.

edit - meant to say "majority" not unanimous

There is also a chance the euro holds and the ensembles agree. Who knows. Is the s/w over the conus yet? I really expected the 00z euro to fold last night and was stunned when it didn't

I believe on the radio show last night they said the s/w would be sampled either this afternoon or tonight. So 00z runs tonight or 12z tomorrow will have good data.

There is also a chance the euro holds and the ensembles agree. Who knows. Is the s/w over the conus yet? I really expected the 00z euro to fold last night and was stunned when it didn't

Southern stream will be fully in tomorrow morning's 12z. Unfortunately all the northern stream interaction stuff won't be fully in until Christmas Day probably! I'd like to have our forecast committed one way or the other by Thursday evening since no one watches TV news 12/24 or 12/25! That's the scary thing for us with this storm! The holiday and media blackout make us have to go with something two days sooner than I want!

People are still focusing on the wrong thing here, its the energy in the gulf that the Euro keeps more compace and amplifies that allows this thing to become a monster. It is very similar to all other models with the trough axis and even timing now. Its that the euro keys on the stj energy and really amps up the low in the gulf allowing a sharper turn and bomb it up the coast. Other models are keying on the northern stream and washing out the stj energy. This has the storm take a wider turn with not as much digging. Its the developments in the gulf that make the difference and unfortunately in that regard the NAM is still closer to the GFS/UKMET/GGEM then it is the euro.

Archived