Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12Z Model Thread 12/22

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

s/w still open... and a good amount open too. It looks nothing like the 06z NAM at h5 which was closed by now

12z NAM

nam_500_060s.gif

6z NAM

nam_500_066s.gif

Not as different as it would appear. Was barely closed on the 06Z and is pretty much the same strength. The differences I'm seeing are just upstream and downstream. The Atlantic low is further west and the upstream ridge is ever so slightly less amplified. Could be a slowdown thing, but it may also be indicating a more progressive solution that would, again, wrap this puppy up too late and too far E.

I hate seeing yoda post..not because he';s a terrible poster but because its usually bad news that he posts. Never fails.

At any rate, compared to 0z, it looks about the same.

:huh:

I am only posting what I see. If you see better or that I am wrong, then let me know. :) I don't only post bad news. As you can see above, kpantz is letting me know how I am wrong somewhat

Anywho, thats a pretty big ridge in the Western US at 66

missed the news this morning, what are you telling your viewers?

Rick still going with a wait and see... have to. Trying to paint best chance of any significant snows in the Poconos with lesser chance further west, but pretty much saying we could get nothing or a lot... but odds leaning towards nothing at this point.

I like how the ridge on the new NAM looks a bit further west, but that's about the only "good" news I see for now.

The thing I noticed is the pig is slower and maybe a bit stronger. I think that's good as its allowing the ridge to be a bit sharper and a little more west. You can see the energy dumping down in the plains at a little more sharper too.<BR><BR>(comparing to 0Z)<BR><BR>It just we need it to quickly get out of the way when the low forms in/near the GOM.

NAM out to 84 and it doesn't look terrible, but it is not as sharp as the Euro at 96 with the height field orientation on the front side of the trough. The euro has a much sharper orientation with the H5 height fields running from SW - NE. However considering it is at 84 hours on the NAM, I don't think it really matters too much.

Let me ask this...how much have the NAM/GFS been missing the phase by compared to the Euro. Is it really that large of a difference? What I mean is, I know the GFS is hundreds of miles south and East of the EURO with its solution, but is there a point in the 72-90 HR time frame that is close to a phase on the GFS, but it just misses, and the Euro does phase, thus causing the radically different solution.

Basically, I'm asking if the GFS and Euro are actually closer than meets the eye?

Nam, IMO, certainly looks better at 72 hours compared to 84 hours at 0z and 78 at 6z. How does that compare to the Euro?

Comparing 96h Euro to 84h NAM, they're not all that far off. The downstream vortex is further west on the NAM, but the upstream ridge is similarly positioned. Similar sloppy phase look in the midwest at 500mb.

Let me ask this...how much have the NAM/GFS been missing the phase by compared to the Euro. Is it really that large of a difference? What I mean is, I know the GFS is hundreds of miles south and East of the EURO with its solution, but is there a point in the 72-90 HR time frame that is close to a phase on the GFS, but it just misses, and the Euro does phase, thus causing the radically different solution.

Basically, I'm asking if the GFS and Euro are actually closer than meets the eye?

In real terms a few hundred miles/not much. To my eyes it's timing and biases. It's probably too early to do the type of comparison you are asking.

The NAM looks better, I believe we are seeing a narrowing of the cone from the wide right NOGAPS to the wide left EC. Maybe what we are seeing is the cone narrowing on each side but what will be interesting to see is which side gets trimmed more.

The NAM to me will have a monster low, with that much energy way up NW that's good, but at the same time we need to get the old system out of here first.

Comparing this morning's NAM to last night's GFS ridge out west is farther west but a little flatter I think. 2nd northern stream shortwave looks a little farther west too but also a little slower, which means later phase. Troubling thing for me is over the Atlantic. Storm is slower and stronger on NAM meaning less southeast ridge (which believe it or not we're rooting for this time around) and a more progressive look as kpantz noted a few posts back. Take the NAM out past 84 hours and it sure looks like she'd be heading out to sea....

Archived