joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2017 Discussion

hlcater

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A prolonged east ridge west trough regime during a nina event, smh. I really feel as if the only explanation for that is climate change due to the arctic heating up so much and the pacific waters being so warm, it somehow manages to force a trough down the eastern half of the CONUS. Just very VERY bad luck.

38 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

True, but central and northern WI preserves snow pack fairly well. In January, normal highs are 20-25 and normal lows are 0-5.

Heck, even we preserve snowpack fairly well in east central Iowa. I can't give you a number but we normally don't have an issue for preserving snow AT LEAST 10(or more) days. I don't know any snowmobiles that have complained outside of the last 2 awful winters, and even then they had opportunities.

42 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Heck, even we preserve snowpack fairly well in east central Iowa. I can't give you a number but we normally don't have an issue for preserving snow AT LEAST 10(or more) days. I don't know any snowmobiles that have complained outside of the last 2 awful winters, and even then they had opportunities.

We've been driving out west along I-80 from south east MI to WY snowmobiling each February for years. Most of the time when we leave MI there is snow on the ground, almost like a switch as soon as we cross into IN it's almost always brown with bare ground. Most of the time we won't see much snow again till we get to that first pass about 2 hours into WY. Not every year is like this but definitely more times than not this is the case. Again, this is along I-80 only and only what we seem to encounter on our trip every year. 

18 minutes ago, slow poke said:

We've been driving out west along I-80 from south east MI to WY snowmobiling each February for years. Most of the time when we leave MI there is snow on the ground, almost like a switch as soon as we cross into IN it's almost always brown with bare ground. Most of the time we won't see much snow again till we get to that first pass about 2 hours into WY. Not every year is like this but definitely more times than not this is the case. Again, this is along I-80 only and only what we seem to encounter on our trip every year. 

I know what you mean. I-94 seems to be the cutoff where snow just gets wiped out with normal temps.

2 hours ago, slow poke said:

The last 2 have been rough out here as mentioned, and have been rough in the plains for 5+ years. Obviously depends on what time during February you go out there as well, with it being increasingly difficult to hold onto snowfall as February progresses. I'd bet we can't even hold onto snowfall for an average of 3-4 days by the end of the month. Can't speak for the plains, but I do know that they've been having it rough since 2010 or so.

12 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

But that is a very low bar.  I am talking about 60+ days of consistent snowcover through the heart of winter, i.e. Dec. 15th to Feb. 15th.  In WI north of 45N, they do it pretty much every year.  But I think Chicago has only done this once (winter of 1978-79).  

15 hours ago, Jonger said:

It amazes me how much less snow Wisconsin averages than Michigan. I have no idea how local snowmobilers avoid having to trek up to the UP by default.

Couldn't pay me to trailer 7+ hrs to trail ride in the UP on a weekend in a low snow yr in the MW.

18 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

avg_30_year_snowfall.png

I am suspect of the accuracy of this map over NW Wisconsin.  I wonder if the Duluth NWS office has map for covering the area around Superior (the city) to Ashland?  This map looks like it has a lack of data points in the area where Lake Superior can cause highly variable snowfall in the area.

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

But that is a very low bar.  I am talking about 60+ days of consistent snowcover through the heart of winter, i.e. Dec. 15th to Feb. 15th.  In WI north of 45N, they do it pretty much every year.  But I think Chicago has only done this once (winter of 1978-79).  

Well it's a lot when you have low expectations like me :(

Hit 34 today, making it the first time above freezing since November 5th...snow has been on the ground now 17 days consecutive.  Brief mini warmup to normal this week, but plenty of chances for snow.  MQT running -7.7 temps and + 5.1" snow for the month.  Settling into winter in the N woods.

Backyard today:

IMG_3598.thumb.JPG.3906ea996af5c271de33f484049155b6.JPG

5 hours ago, UMB WX said:

5 hrs gets me to Land O' Lakes .  I'm a trail rider so the UP does nothing for me. No sense leaving 25k miles of trails behind.  Now if i want off trail riding and to geek out on snow mounds the UP would be for me.  For trail riding I can't beat WI.

True, but you need snow to do it. You just have to get lucky with synoptic snow.

Archived