Newest Member
    Dano62
November 2017 Discussion

hlcater

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Tomorrow seems like a candidate to overperform.  Pretty good southwest flow and mainly sunny skies around here.  Also most of the leaves are down so it's almost like one of those late winter/early spring days that gets warmer than expected with the lack of vegetation. Most raw 2m guidance has highs in the 40s (MOS a bit warmer) but I'm thinking we can get to 50+.

Your forecast was spot on. Definite overperformer. NWS has been forecasting 45°-46° for today for several days. Current temps:

FWA - 49°

SBN - 50° :sizzle:

Made it to 52 at ORD, which ties for the highest temp so far this month.  If that seems abnormally cool for the highest November temp, it is.  Chicago has only had 12 Novembers in which the highest temp failed to reach 60, and almost all of them except one (1997) happened 50+ years ago.  Friday should surpass 52, but prospects for a 60 degree day this month are a bit uncertain.

11 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Drove all the way from Calumet to just outside of Detroit today for Thanksgiving family stuff...

It is so warm down here.

Had snow the whole way from Calumet to Negaunee...then the sun came out and there was grass all the way to around Munising when the snow started again. Snowed from there all the way through Germfask and Blaney Park...then flurries up till the Mackinac Bridge...and from then on it was like I was back in September/October. It was 18 degrees in Calumet and 35 in whatever towns are south of the bridge. Insane. There were even leaves left on the trees...dead leaves...but they were still on the trees.

Most snow I saw was pretty much in Calumet, though the areas between Herman and Lake Michigamme were pretty close...pretty much the areas 1,400-1,500 feet in elevation.

I miss the UP. Everywhere south of Saginaw is depressing and there are so many people.

Yesterday was our warmest day since November 5th fyi. The leaves fell late but the only trees left with any dead leaves are oaks and pear trees. For someone who likes isolation yes there's too many people south of Saginaw. I LOVE visiting the remote areas of the UP but I wouldn't want to live there. As for it being 18 above the bridge and 35 below it, you know fronts were in progress. Sw winds brought us our warmest day in 2.5 wks ahead of a cold front. And i doubt highs in the upper 40s to low 50s is september weather in calumet. This IS a weather board lol. 

3 inches from yesterdays lake effect.  Temp was in the teens and snowing/blowing all afternoon.  Winter is here for good... although 43 on Friday will be pleasant.

I understand a little where Will is coming from.  I have a Cousin downstate and one in N Indiana.  I dread visiting anymore.  I know that sounds awful, but after 5 years in the woods where red lights don't exist, paved roads are a luxury, and there isn't swarms of people and cars and lights, it is a bit overwhelming visiting, and I can't wait for the trip back north. I like the area in Michigan from Houghton Lake on north and especially Gaylord/Charlevoix area to the tip of the mitt, but crossing the bridge into the UP is like a gateway to another country... Things are different, life is different, there isn't this mass consumption type atmosphere and mentality... quiet and slow and peaceful is a rule.

Looking more at the setup for Friday, I think there's a decent shot at 60 at ORD.  Warmer thermal profiles than Monday (925 mb temps of 10-11C) and clouds really shouldn't be an issue for most of the day. Out west toward cyclone and hawkeye, they should get deep into the 60s.

Friday's record at MLI is 66.  That might get approached.

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Looking more at the setup for Friday, I think there's a decent shot at 60 at ORD.  Warmer thermal profiles than Monday (925 mb temps of 10-11C) and clouds really shouldn't be an issue for most of the day. Out west toward cyclone and hawkeye, they should get deep into the 60s.

Friday's record at MLI is 66.  That might get approached.

NAM is particularly offensive.  It's like it doesn't know how to mix with plenty of sun and strong S/SW flow.  Likely widespread 7-10 degrees underdone.

NAMMW_sfc_temp_057.png.2ef044c258443138d6b87c771eef8669.png 

3 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I wasn't implying that there's nothing to follow, but temperature forecasts aren't that exciting this time of year. I want the first hint of real winter weather for those of us not in Northern MI.

Well, we had/have the cold, but not the snow.  Sort of sucks but not that unusual to "waste" the cold in Nov.

7 hours ago, weatherbo said:

3 inches from yesterdays lake effect.  Temp was in the teens and snowing/blowing all afternoon.  Winter is here for good... although 43 on Friday will be pleasant.

I understand a little where Will is coming from.  I have a Cousin downstate and one in N Indiana.  I dread visiting anymore.  I know that sounds awful, but after 5 years in the woods where red lights don't exist, paved roads are a luxury, and there isn't swarms of people and cars and lights, it is a bit overwhelming visiting, and I can't wait for the trip back north. I like the area in Michigan from Houghton Lake on north and especially Gaylord/Charlevoix area to the tip of the mitt, but crossing the bridge into the UP is like a gateway to another country... Things are different, life is different, there isn't this mass consumption type atmosphere and mentality... quiet and slow and peaceful is a rule.

This is soooooo what I long for. Southern Michiganders are SOOOOO impatient and so caught up in their own little fast-paced worlds. I can't wait to live somewhere with like-minded people as me, who like to stop, take a deep breath, and enjoy the beautiful creation. Some day hopefully...in the next couple years...

Light LES flurries off NW flow through the day today added a nice touch to some chilly conditions. 

5th day this month with flakes flying which seems higher in my memory than recent Novembers. 

Snow Log so far (sorry for metric):

2017-2018

First flakes: Oct 31 (LES)

Event // Season Total

Nov 5: 1.0cm // 1.0cm
Nov 9-10: 2.0cm // 3.0cm
Nov 18: 0.0cm // 3.0cm (wrap around from a rainy system... no accumulation, above zero at surface) 
Nov 19: 1.0cm // 4.0cm (LES, some +SN moments)
Nov 22: DAB // 4.0cm (Light LES flurries)

Archived