Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chinook said:

Here's an interesting calculation: KFMY (Fort Myers) and KRSW (near Fort Myers) had a 4.2 mb pressure difference at 21:53. they are only 6.45 nautical miles apart (11.94 km). What would the cyclostrophic wind be? radius to the eye is about 14.6 nautical miles (27.03 km).

I dunno, I probably made a mistake somewhere, but I get about 57kts?

Stepped outside my front door to figure out why water was seeping under it... gust of wind and a huge crack and down came my 50 foot live oak in my front yard. Seconds later half of the 100 year old oak in my backyard fell. Good times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Clyde said:

Stepped outside my front door to figure out why water was seeping under it... gust of wind and a huge crack and down came my 50 foot live oak in my front yard. Seconds later half of the 100 year old oak in my backyard fell. Good times...

Stay safe out there

3 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

2017-09-10_214803.jpg

Quite a satellite shot with the storms building in N. FL. and in the band offshore.

That's further east than what the models originally showed

3 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Shep Smith (FoxNews) reported like 6 hours ago that there's some emergency operation and air-drops about to occur in the Keys, because of complete devastation there.   But can't find a news article (link) about it.  They for sure mentioned air drops, and their getting a whole team in place. 

Strange how we still haven't seem any video of the very badly hit parts yet.    Post  here if u guys have it.  

Just now, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

Shep Smith (FoxNews) reported like 6 hours ago that there's some emergency operation and air-drops about to occur in the Keys, because of complete devastation there.   But can't find a news article (link) about it.  They for sure mentioned air drops, and their getting a whole team in place. 

Strange how we still haven't seem any video of the very badly hit parts yet.    Post  here if u guys have it.  

Still haven't heard from stormchasers Mike Theiss and Reed Timmer

I'd argue this being a more severe wind event than Harvey due to its widespread occurrence and multiple measured high wind gusts. We didn't see the extreme devastation in FL like we did in TX due to the building codes. A lot of very well built buildings in Naples and across FL. Could argue that fact with the Keys experiencing what sounds like complete devastation and Miami metro area experiencing hurricane conditions for several hours and wind gusts getting into the 90+ range there.

4 minutes ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

Sad, Bahia Honda SP is  One of my favorite places in Florida.   There has got to be some incredible damage in the keys, I'm sure tomorrow we will see some stunning pictures and videos. 

Just now, MattPetrulli said:

I'd argue this being a more severe wind event than Harvey due to its widespread occurrence and multiple measured high wind gusts. We didn't see the extreme devastation in FL like we did in TX due to the building codes. A lot of very well built buildings in Naples and across FL. Could argue that fact with the Keys experiencing what sounds like complete devastation and Miami metro area experiencing hurricane conditions for several hours and wind gusts getting into the 90+ range there.

There is no doubt Irma had a greater field of wind damage, not even close. 

WFOR talking about the lack of reports from Big Pine Key. The Tweet above sounds like the awful answer.

Generally I hate trying to use social media for this stuff, but just searching the hashtag #bigpinekey on twitter is sobering. Mostly people looking for any word of loved ones.

I noted a Miami Herald story quoted Monroe County EM as saying they have Dmort teams headed there.  A disaster mortuary team is used for a mass casualty event. They are used to hold and ID victims. The population of Monroe Co is about 77 K. I wonder how many left the chain and went inland?

1 minute ago, Fast11 said:

I noted a Miami Herald story quoted Monroe County EM as saying they have Dmort teams headed there.  A disaster mortuary team is used for a mass casualty event. They are used to hold and ID victims. The population of Monroe Co is about 77 K. I wonder how many left the chain and went inland?

I heard a lot of stories of people staying, one of my friend's friend stayed in Key Largo and didn't leave. Haven't talked to him since the cane hit though. 

The rainfall aspect of this storm hasn't been much talked about (probably in light of Harvey's astronomical totals), but we're pushing 10 inches east of Orlando and FFW states expectation of 2-4 more with this next band. Probably had as much to do with my oaks toppling as the wind.

1 minute ago, Clyde said:

The rainfall aspect of this storm hasn't been much talked about (probably in light of Harvey's astronomical totals), but we're pushing 10 inches east of Orlando and FFW states expectation of 2-4 more with this next band. Probably had as much to do with my oaks toppling as the wind.

Could get a severe inland flooding event in GA too. 

For those hoping that the more east track leads to less serious conditions downstream I have some news. At the 10am update Irma's pressure was 929mb. 6 hours after that, at 4pm, the first update after landfall (25 minutes after landfall), the pressure was 940mb. And 6 hours after that, at 10pm, the pressure has only crept up to 948mb. I don't see any evidence that being over land is helping Irma to dramatically unwind faster.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived