• Member Statistics

    16,058
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    david121212
    Newest Member
    david121212
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
Baroclinic Zone

Hurricane Irma Local Impacts/Evacuations

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Kind of makes sense with this angle of approach and limited duration to build up a wall of water in that area IMHO 

 

Hopefully that's correct.  I assume many are planning to ride it out at low elevation in that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just in Sanibel Island this past June. I imagine she will look very different on my next trip. That island is going to take it on the chin with wind and a predicted 9+ ft storm surge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're doing background checks before letting people into shelters around Cape Coral.  WTF.  Seems to be total confusion in SW Florida.

My brother lives in Naples.  He's saying all the shelters are full, so he may try to ride it out in his townhome.  It's concrete, but that won't prevent the roof from going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

They're doing background checks before letting people into shelters around Cape Coral.  WTF.  Seems to be total confusion in SW Florida.

My brother lives in Naples.  He's saying all the shelters are full, so he may try to ride it out in his townhome.  It's concrete, but that won't prevent the roof from going. 

NBC2 feed reporting mass confusion regarding shelters and many people waiting hours to get in with very little information flowing.

Hopefully they can catch up as the day goes on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbcmh81 said:

They're doing background checks before letting people into shelters around Cape Coral.  WTF.  Seems to be total confusion in SW Florida.

My brother lives in Naples.  He's saying all the shelters are full, so he may try to ride it out in his townhome.  It's concrete, but that won't prevent the roof from going. 

 

One of the FL law enforcement officials said last night they are checking potential visitors to shelters to ensure there are no convicted sex offenders (child molesters etc.) nor anyone with outstanding warrants.  Perhaps introduces a moral debate to the situation, but that could be as much protection for children as the previously convicted person should it get out in the shelter that one of those seeking sanctuary is a convicted molester.  The response from those in the shelter may not fair well for the individual.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke with family near Lake Worth, it's gusting pretty good with the band coming through south of PBI and tornado warnings around, but besides that not much yet. Tomorrow should still be rough around there but thankfully not devastating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please if there is any chance of water getting in to the house of anyone reading this have an axe or some other tool ready to hack a way onto your roof if you have to. Too many people drowned trapped in their attics during Katrina 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weatherchaser said:

Please if there is any chance of water getting in to the house of anyone reading this have an axe or some other tool ready to hack a way onto your roof if you have to. Too many people drowned trapped in their attics during Katrina 

I flew down to help my family in Cape Coral; mostly to help my brother (homeless so I wanted to make sure he got to a shelter) and then help the rest of my family with final preps. When I booked the flight, it was still forecast to go up the middle of the state so I was prepared for a wind event and thought hey, this'll be fun. 

ha

This morning (after I found my brother) and took him to my sisters place, the new evacuations were ordered due to the surge map. Since her & her family's place is on a gulf access canal about .5 miles from Pine Island sound, we went from "batten down the house mode" to "get **** packed so they can get their kids and 2 week old granddaughter out of here" mode. Loaded up the cats & dogs, grabbed important papers & pictures and her husband drove one van, she drove another & they left for their house in NC. Luckily taking my brother with them. Then I went to my other brothers house who is in evac zone b, he & his wife are watching their 2 grandkids while their parents are on vacation I was skeptical about staying, since I'm still not to cool with this storm surge potential..but he's right on the border of B/C (a matter of maybe .75 miles) I'm pretty sure we won't get the devastating surge here, but, just in case, this is EXACTLY what I told them earlier about the axes/tools. We cleared all the crap from under the attic entrance in the garage a couple of hours ago and put 2 axes up there. I felt kind of ..stupid.. making him do this, but thinking about it now, it could be the difference between life & death. 

 

on that note, long day. Going to bed but will post what I can from here in the cape tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

My friends in Naples evacuated.  They live a quarter mile from the Gulf so their house is going to take a beating.

My Dad left his place to go to a friends in Golden Gate. They'll be ok with surge, but really worried about the winds. He has a condo that will probably take a serious beating, and I think a lot of Naples will be destroyed. Not sure what the economy is going to be like post hurricane given a lot of the homes there are second homes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ny10019 said:

I flew down to help my family in Cape Coral; mostly to help my brother (homeless so I wanted to make sure he got to a shelter) and then help the rest of my family with final preps. When I booked the flight, it was still forecast to go up the middle of the state so I was prepared for a wind event and thought hey, this'll be fun. 

ha

This morning (after I found my brother) and took him to my sisters place, the new evacuations were ordered due to the surge map. Since her & her family's place is on a gulf access canal about .5 miles from Pine Island sound, we went from "batten down the house mode" to "get **** packed so they can get their kids and 2 week old granddaughter out of here" mode. Loaded up the cats & dogs, grabbed important papers & pictures and her husband drove one van, she drove another & they left for their house in NC. Luckily taking my brother with them. Then I went to my other brothers house who is in evac zone b, he & his wife are watching their 2 grandkids while their parents are on vacation I was skeptical about staying, since I'm still not to cool with this storm surge potential..but he's right on the border of B/C (a matter of maybe .75 miles) I'm pretty sure we won't get the devastating surge here, but, just in case, this is EXACTLY what I told them earlier about the axes/tools. We cleared all the crap from under the attic entrance in the garage a couple of hours ago and put 2 axes up there. I felt kind of ..stupid.. making him do this, but thinking about it now, it could be the difference between life & death. 

 

on that note, long day. Going to bed but will post what I can from here in the cape tomorrow

Best of luck to you and your family! (And you deserve to go into the Sibling Hall of Fame.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty impressive shot of the linemen waiting in GA.  Have to guess those are all mutual aid vehicles and crews from elsewhere in the country?  That said, with 1.67M customers w/o power in FL and climbing, that's going to be a drop in the bucket compared to what's needed.  Since there's still a long way to go with this, would guess the number of customers w/o power will rise substantially - double, triple over the current 1.7M?  Who knows.  Wonder how many similar staging areas there are?  Plus, with TS force winds forecast for GA and SC, they are going to be busy there as well. 

Took a quick swag at the number of vehicles there.  Appears to be about 20 in each row, so about 400 - 500 vehicles visible.  Many with trailers and supplies.  Spread around just FL that would get pretty thin quick.  None the less, factoring in the support trailers, lighting, honey pots, etc, it's an impressive indicator of what our country can muster.  Not sure many other countries would be able to respond like that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: I read or heard that Lake Okeechobee could be in danger of overflowing a dike and causing extensive flooding of the surrounding area. Is that true? And does anyone have a report of the condition of the dike at the moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most info I've been able to find out about the Keys so far:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172503266.html

Quote

That wasn’t the case across the rest of the 110-mile island chain. In the Middle and Upper Keys — on the more savage right side of Irma’s 130-mph winds — the damage and storm surge appeared far more severe. Monroe County emergency managers hinted that they feared there could be fatalities. Emergency Management Director Martin Senterfitt, calling the destruction a looming “humanitarian crisis,” said a huge airborne relief mission mounted by the Air Force and Air National Guard was already in the works.

Among the services coming to the Keys are “disaster mortuary teams,” he told a conference call on Sunday afternoon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone not familiar with the keys....Key Largo/Islmorada/Marathon are very well developed, condos, newer homes, businesses.  Key West is extremely well developed.  Stock Island (the island one bridge over from KW) is where the blue collar folks live.  Lots of mobile home-type housing.  Expect to see major damage and likely loss of life from Stock Island.

Big Pine Key is kinda old-school keys.  Your more independent types, alot of older homes that weren't constructed up to current codes.  Alot of pines (durr), home of the Key Deer.  Turn off of US 1 and drive north, and go over a couple of small bridges, and you hit No Name Key, home to the No Name Pub.  It is really just a shack.  I'll be amazed if that place still exists.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousin in Del Ray Beach has no power, but also told me the plumbing faciities in Del Ray have been damaged  and officials have told the locals not to flush or shower until further notice. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.