joxey
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks good New Rochelle north.

I keep expecting things to fizzle and crush our hopes in the LR....but it hasn’t let us down yet. Pretty consistent in delivering a winter pattern of some sort with details see sawing between pac and atl but dang, can’t complain at this stage.....well, unless you are TauntonFlizzard. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I keep expecting things to fizzle and crush our hopes in the LR....but it hasn’t let us down yet. Pretty consistent in delivering a winter pattern of some sort with details see sawing between pac and atl but dang, can’t complain at this stage.....well, unless you are TauntonFlizzard. 

Yeah so far so good. Not sure how long the blocking lasts, but it's a bonus. One thing people need to realize, it's very early in the season. I hope people aren't treating this like something to expect in January.  Just because we have blocking, does not guarantee snow given how early it is. I hope people keep things in perspective. If this pattern lasts into December, chances of snow greatly increase...but it's not easy to do in November...even with a favorable pattern. Especially on the coast.

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah so far so good. Not sure how long the blocking lasts, but it's a bonus. One thing people need to realize, it's very early in the season. I hope people aren't treating this like something to expect in January.  Just because we have blocking, does not guarantee snow given how early it is. I hope people keep things in perspective. If this pattern lasts into December, chances of snow greatly increase...but it's not easy to do in November...even with a favorable pattern. Especially on the coast.

Great points.  Hope peeps take your advice...and nothing is ever guaranteed when dealing with the weather, this should always be taken into account.  And this decent look could disappear next/in future run(s).  But it is just nice to see something looking somewhat positive at this juncture, rather than endless AN modeling.   Hopefully we can cash in on something going forward?

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Great points.  Hope peeps take your advice...and nothing is ever guaranteed when dealing with the weather, this should always be taken into account.  And this decent look could disappear next/in future run(s).  But it is just nice to see something looking somewhat positive at this juncture, rather than endless AN modeling.   Hopefully we can cash in on something going forward?

It’s ok to let the weenie hang out. I get the pros need to be more cautious, they need to cover their fannies. I see big things ahead around turkey day, it’s time to give thanks to the weenie gods and celebrate with weenie tosses. 

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

sIt’s ok to let the weenie hang out. I get the pros need to be more cautious, they need to cover their fannies. I see big things ahead around turkey day, it’s time to give thanks to the weenie gods and celebrate with weenie tosses. 

It's not necessarily being cautious, it's the bitching and moaning of weenies if they don't see snow. That's what I was addressing.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's not necessarily being cautious, it's the bitching and moaning of weenies if they don't see snow. That's what I was addressing.

Inland and elevated areas are favored and can do well early on, But it will take a little more work for the coastal plain and coastal areas to see snow with the warmer SST's this time of year, Not saying these areas can't see snow with the right setup though, But it won't happen with every event.

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What is the significance of March vs November other than the coincidence of a similar pattern?

So what the hell is anecdotal about finding a similar upper air and the results it yielded, how is that not science? I think its important to use history to find how similar patterns yield results, perhaps you don't but I do. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

There is no doubt this is a bottom up effect regarding the NAO. The stratospheric vortex consolidates and looks strong at the end of the ensembles. We'll see how long the blocking lasts.

Agree, I just posted this in the NY forum. The z500 pattern medium to long range is a vortex intensification precursor.

"It appears to me that the upcoming NATL block initiation is due - at least in part - to the circum-global propagation of upper divergence associated with the prior MJO forcing. We recently had a robust phase 8 disturbance, which, while it weakened significantly into the COD on the CPC diagrams, one can still track the eastward propagation of the -VP through the Atlantic and into Africa October 30-Nov7th. This signal induces planetary wave propagation usually resulting in sufficient turbulence to influence the NAO modality approximately 7-10 days later - which, to no surprise, seems to be initiating circa the 13th-15th of November. The forcing for the -NAO is certainly there, but does it have the maintenance power of some of our impressive early blocking stretches such as 2010, 2009, 1995?"

Archived