Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What are the top 10?

Any terds?

Daily data only goes back to 1997 so we don't have a huge sample. But weekly data goes back to 1966. The problem with weekly data is that we've had a lot of snowfall since week 43 which the latest datapoint in the Rutgers set right now. But yeah, some turds were 2006 and 1972. Both El Niño's. Not surprising...as El Niño falls can be cold. The highest was 1981 it looks like. The lowest 3 were 1979, 1980, and 1988. Those were all putrid winters here. 2011 was pretty low too. Overall I think it's a good sign considering how many horrendous winters are near the bottom of the list but there's some noise there.  

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Daily data only goes back to 1997 so we don't have a huge sample. But weekly data goes back to 1966. The problem with weekly data is that we've had a lot of snowfall since week 43 which the latest datapoint in the Rutgers set right now. But yeah, some turds were 2006 and 1972. Both El Niño's. Not surprising...as El Niño falls can be cold. The highest was 1981 it looks like. The lowest 3 were 1979, 1980, and 1988. Those were all putrid winters here. 2011 was pretty low too. Overall I think it's a good sign considering how many horrendous winters are near the bottom of the list but there's some noise there.  

Yea, if its the basis of your outlook, then you're probably posting it on accuwxforums, but it certainly makes for some tinsel on the outlook tree. 

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, if its the basis of your outlook, then you're probably posting it on accuwxforums, but it certainly makes for some tinsel on the outlook tree. 

Agreed. You'd rather avoid the really low years all else being equal. 

At any rate...maybe many of us see first flakes tomorrow night. Would be nice to get that monkey off our back. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The gfs nam and from what I can tell RGEM all have some fronto. But tough to tell if it's virga, some catpaws, or 2" of slanted mush on Kevin's deck rail. The nam is juiced up. 

It's one of those things because we need the dry boundary layer to evap cool to even give us a shot at snow.

Looks like the 00z HREF is coming in juiced too. A nice dProg/dt 

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Get rid of the black hole and you'll have decent snow cover. On top of that, we've had a very favorable pattern for dumping snow in Canada despite our torch. That's the -EPO/-PNA for ya. Seattle just got a taste of it.

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's one of those things because we need the dry boundary layer to evap cool to even give us a shot at snow.

Looks like the 00z HREF is coming in juiced too. A nice dProg/dt 

I hope that HREF is a decent tool and not hi res gone wild this winter. It's components certainly can go wild. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I hope that HREF is a decent tool and not hi res gone wild this winter. It's components certainly can go wild. 

Yeah - it will be hires GW. But I think trends will be important - plus it's only within 36 hours. So if the synoptics are agreed upon it will probably be a useful mesoscale tool. 

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah - it will be hires GW. But I think trends will be important - plus it's only within 36 hours. So if the synoptics are agreed upon it will probably be a useful mesoscale tool. 

Yeah true. You at least can you trend analysis. I'm still pissed about NCAR ensemble. I thought that was handy. Now we'll have to see how these handle synoptics. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah true. You at least can you trend analysis. I'm still pissed about NCAR ensemble. I thought that was handy. Now we'll have to see how these handle synoptics. 

These are models already out there - just sort of put together as an "ensemble" - so they have some physics and IC differences. If nothing else an easy way to view our mess of hires stuff. 

Member ICs/LBCs Microphysics PBL Grid spacing
HRW NSSL NAM/NAM -6h WSM6 MYJ 3.2 km
HRW NSSL -12h NAM/NAM -6h WSM6 MYJ 3.2 km
HRW ARW RAP/GFS -6h WSM6 YSU 3.2 km
HRW ARW -12h RAP/GFS -6h WSM6 YSU 3.2 km
HRW NMMB RAP/GFS -6h Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3.2 km
HRW NMMB -12h RAP/GFS -6h Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3.2 km
NAM CONUS Nest NAM/NAM Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3 km
NAM CONUS Nest -12h NAM/NAM Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3 km

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

These are models already out there - just sort of put together as an "ensemble" - so they have some physics and IC differences. If nothing else an easy way to view our mess of hires stuff. 

Member ICs/LBCs Microphysics PBL Grid spacing
HRW NSSL NAM/NAM -6h WSM6 MYJ 3.2 km
HRW NSSL -12h NAM/NAM -6h WSM6 MYJ 3.2 km
HRW ARW RAP/GFS -6h WSM6 YSU 3.2 km
HRW ARW -12h RAP/GFS -6h WSM6 YSU 3.2 km
HRW NMMB RAP/GFS -6h Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3.2 km
HRW NMMB -12h RAP/GFS -6h Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3.2 km
NAM CONUS Nest NAM/NAM Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3 km
NAM CONUS Nest -12h NAM/NAM Ferrier-Aligo MYJ 3 km

Yeah I saw that. I like the postage stamp viewer to see the different models. 

Archived